I'm attempting to learn Schism by Tool. I have the chord progression and most of the song down, the only thing I can't do is the hammer-ons. How can I slam down on the tenth and twelfth frets while keeping the D string vibrating enough to make a decent sound?
Also if you have high action it could be more difficult. try lowering your action a little bit if it seems high. But this can alter your intonation a little bit so don't lower it too much.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Not quite "RyknowTheBeast" eh?

Anyways, just practice, and I think this should be in the Tab Talk forum
i thaught it was a little wierd, but if anything because the open D vibrated more widley than a fretted note so you have to start with your finger a lil higher, but i didnt have a problem with the actual hammer ons.... yea just practice

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I use my index and ring fingers and practice alot. Get used to it at like half speed with a metronome (good luck on finding one that will work) or use a software plugin to slow the song down without pitch change.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by Charlatan_001
You adjust the things on your bridge

do you move it up,down,forward or backward to lower the action?
The screws on the back of the bridge alter the intonation, the things you need an allen key for that go through the saddles adjust your action.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Get someone who knows what they're doing to do it if you're not sure. Seriously.

And as for Schism, I find you get a much more Tool-ish sound, as well as making the hammer-ons ring out better, by notching the treble up in your tone.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
And make sure you're using a pick. It's hard to get the tone right without a pick.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
And make sure you're using a pick. It's hard to get the tone right without a pick.

It's hard to get Justin's tone right PERIOD.

I've been messing around with my 3-Pro's EQ everyday and I can only get so close then it starts to sound a bit too middy

Then again, I lack a Wal so...
Quote by Charlatan_001
It's hard to get Justin's tone right PERIOD.

I've been messing around with my 3-Pro's EQ everyday and I can only get so close then it starts to sound a bit too middy

Then again, I lack a Wal so...

A Wal and an array of effects so big that in some countries you have to apply for a special license to be allowed to operate them in public.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Thanks everyone, this has helped out a lot (as far as the action comments and such go). I've been watching the YouTube video religiously of a guy nicknamed toolbassplayer and I think I've got it down. It's easier for me to pluck it, but I'm working with the pick and it's coming along well.