So ive been trying to palm mute some fast riffs, and i realized that i can do it decent on single not riffs, but whenever i have to do real fast palm muting with powerchords, i just cant for whatever reason... here, ill show you exactly what i mean.

i just learned this today. its the riff in Unholy Confessions (ewww A7x! who cares.)

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-0-0----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-0-0--5---7---8---10---8---7h8p7-----------10-0-8-0-7~-------7-0-8-0------|
|-0-0----0---0---0----0---0-------10~--8-8---------------7-7----------10~--|
PM- -    -   -   -    -   -            - -               - -

now i can do it just fine, in time and everything.

but i was also trying to play this riff off Beast and the Harlot:

E/----------------/----------------/----------------/----------------/
B/----------------/----------------/----------------/----------------/
G/----------------/----------------/----------------/----------------/
D/----3-----5-----/6-----5-----3-5-/----3-----5---6-/----3-----5---6-/
A/----3-----5-----/6-----5-----3-5-/----3-----5---6-/----3-----5---6-/
D/00003-00005-0000/6-00005-00003-5-/00003-00005-006-/00003-00005-006-/

and i just couldnt move fast enough... im thinking its my technique... because my friend david does it and makes it look like a walk in the park, and im sitting here looking like im passing a ****ing kidney stone and it sounds like im hitting a cat with a baby...

anyone got any ideas?
Those were insteresting similies. I use alt. picking for that riff in Beast and the Harlot.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Are you alternate picking?

That would makes things a hell of a lot easier.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
Quote by SG Man Forever
Those were interesting similies. I use alt. picking for that riff in Beast and the Harlot.

You definitely want to use all down strokes for that if you can, it will sound more "metal."

Practice the opening riff to Blackened by Metallica in all down strokes, start really slow and work up. Once you get that down you should be able to play anything Ax7 can throw at you.
Quote by Rebourne
You definitely want to use all down strokes for that if you can, it will sound more "metal."

That's not right though, they play it all alternate.

For Unholy Confessions I use a kind of down-/alternate-picking hybrid that could be seen as 'pure outside picking'.

For the first 2 notes of each section (the ones on the low D) use downstrokes then switch to alternate picking so all the notes on the low D end up being downstrokes and all the notes on the A end up being upstrokes. Although I suppose if you want to be really authentic you shoul use all downstrokes but that takes a lot of work to get up to speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I really don't see why people say that those notes have to be downstroked to sound metal. My upstrokes sound exactly like my downstrokes, thus I simply alternate pick (or, even more evil, economy pick) lines like that.

I imagine it is your palm muting technique that is causing you problems. It can really throw unanchored players for a loop. Practice finding the most comfortable way to palm mute and pick strings quickly. Try rotating your hand a bit, so that you have more picking motion available to do those quick lines.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
I really don't see why people say that those notes have to be downstroked to sound metal. My upstrokes sound exactly like my downstrokes, thus I simply alternate pick (or, even more evil, economy pick) lines like that.

I imagine it is your palm muting technique that is causing you problems. It can really throw unanchored players for a loop. Practice finding the most comfortable way to palm mute and pick strings quickly. Try rotating your hand a bit, so that you have more picking motion available to do those quick lines.

yeah i was kinda thinking it was my palm muting too... i alternate pick both songs, and i still cant get beast and the harlot to sound anything near the original...
Yeah, then it's palm muting technique. Just practice, and you'll find your groove, then it will be as easy as normal picking.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
alot of people initially, when they first start palm muting, they really lift their hand way up when un-palm muting, which is really unnecessary. you just have to lift it up far enough to not make contact (which is a very tiny amount) keep practicing and eventually you'll get used to it.
Quote by Rebourne

Practice the opening riff to Blackened by Metallica in all down strokes, start really slow and work up. Once you get that down you should be able to play anything Ax7 can throw at you.

That riff is much too fast to play downpicked, even by masters of downpicking.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Rebourne

Even if it did sound more metal, it's impossible to downpick that portion of Beast and the Harlot. Your hand would have to move inhumanly fast.
Quote by z4twenny
alot of people initially, when they first start palm muting, they really lift their hand way up when un-palm muting, which is really unnecessary. you just have to lift it up far enough to not make contact (which is a very tiny amount) keep practicing and eventually you'll get used to it.

Thats it.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

IDK dude, Mick Thompson of Slipknot can downpick wicked fast. Saw him thrashin out a lesson on the Guitar World CD of their song surfacing. He also did a quick lesson on building mutted downpicking speed....he was very fast is my point so I think it CAN be done....
Quote by rokstar666
IDK dude, Mick Thompson of Slipknot can downpick wicked fast. Saw him thrashin out a lesson on the Guitar World CD of their song surfacing. He also did a quick lesson on building mutted downpicking speed....he was very fast is my point so I think it CAN be done....

He wasn't that fast. Beast and the Harlot clocks in at 155bpm during that part in solid 16ths, that translates to 8ths at 310 bpm where Surfacing maxes out at 216bpm in 8ths.

See the problem now?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i c ur point. i concede that fact.
ne way i feel at those speeds its easier to alt pick rather than use staight downpicking. just sayin that if u practiced down pickin for ur whole life u mite be able to play that fast...just sayin its possible is all....
I have an idea, put your palm as close as you can to the Tailpiece or the shiny metal thingy.... remember shiny is good
i think it's your palm muting. just work on it. anyways, beast and the harlot riff is played with alt picking, way easier to play it. if you can't pick it that fast, work on your alt picking too. and good luck
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Metallica does indeed downpick it, if my memory serves me correctly. If I remember right, James said something like "If you can downpick it, then do it, otherwise it's a waste."

For the Beast and the Harlot riff, I'd alternate pick it.
Quote by snipelfritz
I never thought I'd say this, but Bloody Piss sounds damn good.

The Iced Earth Thread
Quote by Axis Of Evil
Metallica does indeed downpick it, if my memory serves me correctly. If I remember right, James said something like "If you can downpick it, then do it, otherwise it's a waste."

For the Beast and the Harlot riff, I'd alternate pick it.

I think he was referring to Beast and the Harlot. B&H is way to fast to be downpicked, but the powerchords do need to be downpicked to give them that "ooomph" they need. As fas as Blackened goes, that does need to be down picked to get the right sound. It's funny, people always are like "OMG i can playz teh Puppetzorz" but Blackened is like three times harder than MoP.

Hetfield is the master of downpicking, Paul Gilbert is the king of alt. picking, and Jason Becker is the Ruler of all sweeps.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!