After spending quite a bit of time looking at compressor pedals for bass, and every possible opinion about them, I've found that most recommend a rack mounted compressor, specifically the dbx series, and after looking those up, along with a few pedals, I decided that if at all possible i would like to use a rack mounted effect since they cost just a little more than pedals, but the problem is i have an old peavey 300 combo from the 80's and am unsure if an effect like that would need to be in between a head and a cab, or if i can just plug in as if it were a pedal. If that does work, than would buying the rack-mounted be better in the long run, or to just buy a pedal and then upgrade to the rack-mount if i buy a head and cab?
Last edited by Jeff123 at Sep 27, 2007,
I doubt it can go between haed and cab, way to much current for a rack unit to handle. I also dont think there is enough current for it to work with before the preamp. I would venture to say that a rack compressor might only really work in an fx loop, but i could be wrong. It micht work before the amp.
any chance you could explain what an fx loop is and if its possible to have one with a combo? I don't know too much about cabs and how they work.
I guess my question is basically will a rackmounted compressor work with a combo amp?
The effects loops is an output and input the comes before the power amp but after the preamp, it should be at the back of your amp if it has one and is probably marked "FX loop send" and "FX loop return" or something. You generally put time based effects in there like delay, 'verb and all that jazz but generally compressors are good there too; it should work fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Cool, thanks Would patch in and out jacks on an amp from the 80's be basically the same thing as the fx loops end and receive?

EDIT: *send
Probably, yes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.