View poll results: squiers?
They are awesome!
12 10%
some are great, some are not... depends
84 68%
they truly SUCK!
27 22%
Voters: 123.
i bought one and it felt nothing like my friends so i returned it...i say save your money and like buy a guitar u actually enjoy playing dont force urself to play that one just cus of the price. but if ur on a budget go for it. u can get a decent acoustic for 100 dollars at pawn shops :/ not a fan of squires.
"a boat is a boat but a mystery box can be anything, it can even be a boat" - Once said by the great Peter Griffin
Crap, but good value for the price. Glad I could clear things up.

Just messing around with you, I can't really say, I've never actually used one.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
squiers truly are total pieces of garbage. the only ones that might be worth getting cost as much as an actual Fender anyway, so you'd be better off with that, even if it is a MIM. of course, you could also look into other brands besides Fender and its subsidiaries. Ibanez makes really good guitars for relatively cheap prices, and i've played a $150 Dean ML that played amazingly well, and not just for the price, but compared to other higher end guitars. so don't automatically believe that Fender is the only choice, if that's what you think.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
I bought a squier fat strat for my first guitar and it is great. I reckon they are the best guitars in their price range. By the way, I'm talking about the affinity series squiers. I wouldn't buy a bullet.
They're not nearly as bad as some people here make them to be. Just make sure it's a standard Squire and not the affinity or bullet, I really didn't like those for some reason.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
For a low-end guitar some Squires are actually pretty decent. What I like about them most is the necks. I think the necks are way better quality than say a low-end Epiphone (like the Studios). I like the maple fret board Squires a lot better than the rosewood fret board Squires I've played.
Old squires are good, anything new that i have played at shops play ****ty, but need a set up so i can't really judge further than that.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Quote by Mad Marius
They're not nearly as bad as some people here make them to be. Just make sure it's a standard Squire and not the affinity or bullet, I really didn't like those for some reason.

heh heh, nice avatar. neways i think Squier AND Fender r overrated. i played a $700 Fender Strat, and a $300 Squier. and they both sucked.
personal preference i guess. anyone can make it sing, you just gotta know how
i have a squier and i dont like it at all, have ordered a ibanez now
My first guitar was a Squier Affinity, and really, it isn't as bad as a lot of people make out to be. Sure, it's not a scrape on my MIM now, but at the time, it did it's purpose very well.

People who say they're garbage have probably never touched one.
the 11 people who voted "they truly suck" are idiots.

I've seen squiers that can stand up to fenders really easily. Like my standard Telecaster. If i replaced the squier logo with a fender, people would say its awesome, honestly, but because they are all brand snobs they say it sucks, even though they were obviously liking the way it plays. My Custom Tele on the other hand, which is supposed to be better quality than the standard, is a completely different story. The general rule seems to be that squiers are marketed at beginners, yet its the beginners that end up disliking them, because they have no idea that you can adjust the action, intonation, pickup height etc, and the factory setup on squiers is generally pretty poor.

edit: oh crap, since i posted and as of this edit... 7 more people are idiots by the looks of it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by Blompcube
the 11 people who voted "they truly suck" are idiots.

I've seen squiers that can stand up to fenders really easily. Like my standard Telecaster. If i replaced the squier logo with a fender, people would say its awesome, honestly, but because they are all brand snobs they say it sucks, even though they were obviously liking the way it plays. My Custom Tele on the other hand, which is supposed to be better quality than the standard, is a completely different story. The general rule seems to be that squiers are marketed at beginners, yet its the beginners that end up disliking them, because they have no idea that you can adjust the action, intonation, pickup height etc, and the factory setup on squiers is generally pretty poor.

+1 to that, most people jump on the bandwagon here...

I know a guy who has a squire that plays better than any fender i have played, its an older one though. Its got perfect action and absolutely no buzz anywhere, just feels so much more than most would expect from a squire, just a well set up squire i guess.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
I think they're hit or miss. Older/Originals ones that were Made in Japan are consistently great guitars. The pickups are good in them as well. Todays suffer from hit or miss build quality and feel, with some of that having to do with inconsistent setups. I find the stock pickups lacking in most of todays Squiers though. they do tend to make good guitars when you put new pickups in them.
Quote by petrina_678
would squiers be such a bad idea for a 2nd guitar?

What do you have now? What Squier are you looking at, and all the important "What is your amp?" Btu to put it in perspective, I bought a Squier Tele as my 4th guitar
There are better guitars for the price, but they aren't going to explode in your face.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
My Affinity Tele is a better player than my Std Tele. I converted it to string thru by changing the bridge, drilling the body, and putting string ferrules on it. I put a Bigsby on my Std Tele, but the bridge that comes with the Bigsby is crap. So now my Affinity rocks as it has the std bridge! Plays like a dream all the way up the neck and it still has the stock pups.
Ive compared my affinity strat to a mexican fender strat and sound wise, the same.... Same amp, settings everything and its identical.

For a 1st gutiar they are very good.

For a 2nd guitar you wana get one of the best onse.

3rd guitar....no

Also their great to customize.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Just look at the tonewoods, any that are alder are usually okay.

Also look at the GB&C board, many many many squier builds that are awesome.

Also some people ONLY play squier '51s.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Also some people ONLY play squier '51s.

lol i got lucky
i didnt even know what kind of guitar i was getting wheni first got mine
right now i would only recommend the '51
ive played some squiers that just hurt my ear and there were some that sounded great
hit or miss
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
Quote by stratele
Ive compared my affinity strat to a mexican fender strat and sound wise, the same.... Same amp, settings everything and its identical.

thats odd... because i own both a mexican strat and a squier affinity. The squier sounds kinda honky, a lot weaker than the fender - The fender has a much more full tone, but i did get mine used so it might've had a pickup upgrade, whereas i got the squier cheap because it was a brand new model that had been damaged in the store (nothing serious, it just has a few scrapes on it). The moral of the story is: used or not quite mint gear = good way to save cash.

wow 19 idiots have voted in this poll... hmm
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

The upper level of Squiers are awesome. And by upper level, I mean the ones that run 300-400, as expensive as they get. My master series Telecaster is freaking awesome. No reason to think its crap because of its logo, it plays just as good as any other guitar in its price range. The hardware on it is fairly decent, mine came with the Duncan Designs, as most other Jacksons and LTD's do in its range. I've played mine at gig after gig after gig and I have no complaints what so ever, its a great feeling little guitar. Screw all the haters.
I have an affinity strat that i got 2nd hand for £50. Its great and everything i need for me as a beginner. Will be getting a fender and a jackson next year, but for now, im perfectly happy and it sounds good through my VOX.
Quote by Mad Marius

Actually, you should go with the Affinity. Although they have the headstocks I don't like, they have better body wood, so they would be better for upgrading, and are more sustainful than the standard.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by SayAnything
The upper level of Squiers are awesome. And by upper level, I mean the ones that run 300-400, as expensive as they get. My master series Telecaster is freaking awesome. No reason to think its crap because of its logo, it plays just as good as any other guitar in its price range. The hardware on it is fairly decent, mine came with the Duncan Designs, as most other Jacksons and LTD's do in its range. I've played mine at gig after gig after gig and I have no complaints what so ever, its a great feeling little guitar. Screw all the haters.

+1 million. There will be quality control issues on the cheaper ones, but theres quality control issues on just about any brand of guitar at that price. Squiers are at the same level as everything else in the price range, they don't make anything spectacular, but they don't put the sort of price tag that you'd expect to see on an outstandingly good guitar (that or a gibson i suppose...) so you can't complain. Sometimes they even get it right with the cheaper models like the affinity and standard series, its rare, but these good quality versions stand out above anything else within the price, whether they are made of agathis or not.

oh great, now there's 24 idiots who voted that they truly suck though... wow, i didn't know how stupid some people truly are

I don't own a Squire guitar but I do have a Squire bass. I paid like $160.00 brand new and it sounds and plays great. Well worth what I paid. The only problem I have with mine is they didn't seem to finish the fret edges. When you slide up and down the neck the edges of the frets are very sharp. I will fix the problem one of these days. I checked several of them at GC and Daddys and they don't have the problem I have so I think I got that one someone took their bathroom break on a couple didn't sound as good as mine though. I don't care for the guitars myself but several people I know like them and then again other say they are crap. It's 50/50. I think you can get a good one if you check out and play several. I would rather go with an Epi over a Squire.
The Standards are not too bad once adjusted. I have one called a Stagemaster with2 humbuckers and a Floyd Rose and it is great. Once I set it up and put in some decent pickups, it played as well as any of my Jackson's. The necks are by far the best going in the price range. Buy one used cheap, you will not regret it.
Quote by Blompcube
thats odd... because i own both a mexican strat and a squier affinity. The squier sounds kinda honky, a lot weaker than the fender
Do they both have the same gauge strings? Heavier strings are a big upgrade in tone.
Maybe I got lucky, but mine seems to sounds really good. I’ve never played a real Fender, mind you.

I’ve been using it for 4 years now, and can get it to sound really good. It can sound a bit tinny and thin at times when distortion is high but other than that I think it sounds great.

If they really are that bad then I look forward to playing a Fender and being blown away at how good I sound!

Oh, and I play through a MG15CDR.

*Puts on flameproof suit*
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
i have an affinity stratocaster, which is (i think) the cheapest squier you can buy. however, its only failed me at practices/gigs about 3 or 4 times. which isn't bad at all the way i treat it. i got a real fender a little while ago, the fender is better obviously, but squier is definitely a decent guitar.
Quote by fly135
Do they both have the same gauge strings? Heavier strings are a big upgrade in tone.

yes, i have ernie ball super slinky sets on both guitars (.9s). I usually use .10s, but i didn't want to mess with the tremolo. The fender just sounds better, end of story

fenders are very very overpriced in singapore... cos only like 2 shops sell them... they pratically cost twice the amount here then they should....

im thinking of one... but i have to save up mmm
I personally don't think that there are any 'great' standard Squires. They have some good ones, but not great. You could get a better guitar if you really looked. It would all be the same because you would have to look to find a good Squire as well.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I am interested in either a higher end squier or lower end fender

has anyone played the squier jagmasters

Quote by Chex

Oh, and I play through a MG15CDR.

*Puts on flameproof suit*

me too...

*joins chex in the flameproof suit*
I had a good sig once....