So I hear they are overrated. Opinions? Im looking for new speaker cables for my cabinet & my roommate who is a tech junkie says that it has been proven that the "higher end" cables are a waste of money up to a point and least in the home entertainment aspect. Obviously Im not arguing for the bottom of the barrel cables but for quality cables by companies you might not know. Anybody know any of these and care to share? $25 for a 3ft cable does seem pretty retarded.
umm...you can get a 21 ft monster cable for $24.95...

anyway, they're good. the only brand i like more than monster, for cables, is planet waves.
monster cables are a joke. overpriced, and incredibly shoddy workmanship. they just buy so much bulk ****ty cable and charge so much that theyre able to give lifetime warranties on them. they add really disgusting eq curves to your guitar and are muddy shyte.
there are much better cable makers out there. its best to just make your own though. you can choose the quality of all the components and know exactly what youre getting. for what it's worth i have a local audio engineer make mine using insane audiophile grade parts and i pay about 1/3 the cost of a monster per cable.

if you just want to get in and out the store, dimarzio and proco make some decent cables.
Depends...I do think monsters are a tab bit over priced but its not just the cable your buying, its the name and the warranty. I personally like to stick to Livewire cables. Good, cheap low noise and very durable so far.

And to climhazzard...i think you mean a 21ft guitar cable. You shouldnt use a guitar cable in place of a speaker cable. Bad things can happen....
The TS was talking about home entertainment cables by the way. I think for the lifetime warranty they are worth it. The only thing I have from monster is a nice surge protector to protect my Samsung 1080P DLP TV.
haha oh god damnit. cheers to sleep deprivation and captain morgan.

(yes. began a bit early today..well technically yesterday...**** i don't even know what i'm talking about anymore i'm going to sleep)
Im in the same boat man just turned 21 can't stop abusing my privelege to drink.
Quote by TehJermie
monster cables are a joke. overpriced, and incredibly shoddy workmanship. they just buy so much bulk ****ty cable and charge so much that theyre able to give lifetime warranties on them. they add really disgusting eq curves to your guitar and are muddy shyte.
there are much better cable makers out there. its best to just make your own though. you can choose the quality of all the components and know exactly what youre getting. for what it's worth i have a local audio engineer make mine using insane audiophile grade parts and i pay about 1/3 the cost of a monster per cable.

if you just want to get in and out the store, dimarzio and proco make some decent cables.

+1
I'm glad someone had the balls to say it. I've made my own speaker cables for years out of cheap jacks & old lamp cord, & I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference (esp playing Van Halen levels of distortion). I have noticed VERY subtle differences between very cheap & very expensive guitar cords, but the performance of the high-end ones does NOT even remotely justify their cost. Somewhere in between is better.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I bought a semi-expensive (b/c it was at a music store rather than online) cord a few years ago. It's not as expensive as Monster, but its sounds just fine and has never let me down, and it's been literally the only cable i've used for at least 2 years now.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I don't know about for speaker cables, but for guitar cables I don't think monster is worth it. I haven't noticed any difference between monster and other cheaper cables.

It absolutely IS worth it however to get brand name. I've had really cheap cables that picked up AM radio and lots of AC hum. You'll probably collect on the lifetime warranty many times over too. Cables are fragile.
Monster is a company run by a bunch of assholes.

Don't buy from them .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Huge rip off

I've been using super generic musicians friend cables with no noise and fine operation forever. Not one of them has failed yet and i've had them for years haha
Quote by riffhog
+1
I'm glad someone had the balls to say it. I've made my own speaker cables for years out of cheap jacks & old lamp cord, & I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference (esp playing Van Halen levels of distortion). I have noticed VERY subtle differences between very cheap & very expensive guitar cords, but the performance of the high-end ones does NOT even remotely justify their cost. Somewhere in between is better.

yeah, a lot of those high end cables are really a blow to the wallet. only something for pros constantly in the studio who already have all of their equipment together IMO. i only use em because the guy i know makes them for me CHEAP.
Quote by Blaster Bob
I don't know about for speaker cables, but for guitar cables I don't think monster is worth it. I haven't noticed any difference between monster and other cheaper cables.

It absolutely IS worth it however to get brand name. I've had really cheap cables that picked up AM radio and lots of AC hum. You'll probably collect on the lifetime warranty many times over too. Cables are fragile.

Peavey cables have a lifetime warranty, and a 10 footer is only 10 bucks. Seems like a better deal than monster cables...
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
my livewire cable has lifetime warranty...and it looks cooler than a monster cable. It is kinda annoying to have to screw the ends back on when they come loose though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
my livewire cable has lifetime warranty...and it looks cooler than a monster cable. It is kinda annoying to have to screw the ends back on when they come loose though...

I wish my cables did that... My peavey cables have solid metal ends that you can't take apart. And, when they break, it's not worth it to ship it half way across the country to get fixed, so I just throw it away and buy a new one for next to nothing.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by kool98769

Yeah I had the same problem with my Live Wires unscrewing, a little bit of Loc Tite does the trick though. Other than that mine have never failed me
i use generic cables, and tiny $2 patch cables (with the exception of one dimarzio 6" tweed cable and a limewire 1' cable) and i've noticed no difference between that and one monster cable (of which some people insist on buying )
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Yeah I had the same problem with my Live Wires unscrewing, a little bit of Loc Tite does the trick though. Other than that mine have never failed me

Then when they break not only are you screwed because you can't get them off, but Liveiwre won't be able to, and you've basically voided your warranty. I had LiveWires for a while, but both of mine had crappy solder joints. Then finally something broke in the actual cable part I couldn't get to. I bought a Planet Waves Circuit Breaker and haven't looked back.
Quote by CJRocker
Then when they break not only are you screwed because you can't get them off, but Liveiwre won't be able to, and you've basically voided your warranty. I had LiveWires for a while, but both of mine had crappy solder joints. Then finally something broke in the actual cable part I couldn't get to. I bought a Planet Waves Circuit Breaker and haven't looked back.

Notice I said a "little" loctite. They still come apart just fine with a little effort.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Notice I said a "little" loctite. They still come apart just fine with a little effort.

Ok, I give Good idea. Just be careful you don't accidentally over do it one time
I used Monster religiously for a few years until a friend turned me on to CBI cables. The monsters do add a nasty EQ curve that favors the mids over the lows and highs whereas the CBI's tend to favor the highs over the lows and mids.

Turn the page, three years later and I've been through quite the assortment of cables. I still have my CBI's as backups as they're rock solid, but I'm presently using about 50 feet of Mogami Platinum in the rig right now. They don't color the tone at all.

I don't recommend Monster unless there is nothing else available (I'm using Monster RCA cables as few others seem to offer decent ones at decent prices around here). Regarding instrument and speaker cable, there is much better bang for the buck.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM