ok, now after being a solid state player for the past 5 years of my guitar playing endeavor, i am looking to upgrade to a tube amp. not 100% sure which kind. but i know i want it to have good cleans and can handle distortion well. not "teh br00talz" but still, a mid/high amount of gain (if that makes sense)

i heard that distortion pedals are too harsh on tube amps because they overdrive the tubes too much. is this true? will the metal muff give me a crappy tone?

i play stuff from completly clean fingerpicking-classical sounding stuff, to modest mouse, to foo fighters, to iron maiden, to megadeth and to opeth.

did i get the metal muff in vain? or was i just too naive to the fact that i didnt know tubes from SS when i bought it?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Metal Muff is a great pedal for tube amps and you didn't waste anything, you actually gained considering most people waste their money on Boss METALZ pedals, your pedal will pwn ass on a tube amp.

^agree, the metal muff is a great metal pedal, and, with tubes it will just be better
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Last edited by Ferrarone at Sep 27, 2007,
hurray!!! you have no idea how happy you guys just made me. now only to choose the amp. and get money for it....hmm....any suggestions? my friends dad has a mesa boogie F-50....i hear they make an F-30.

i love the cleans on the 50, but i have yet to find the price on a new F-30...since there are no used ones around by me, but i know they will be pricey. and what about the B-52 AT 112 or the peavey valveking.

Edit: I am a college student btw, so i wouldnt be bring the amp to school (thats just dumb) but it would be for jamming on weekends and holidays...and if we ever wind up getting shows possible small gigs...(we just finally got our band together before we all left for school lol) so would these be good in my price range and for a good first tube?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Sep 27, 2007,
there's nothing technically wrong with using a distortion pedal through a tube amp. i think a lot of tone junkies here just think there's something wrong about the principle of it because tube breakup sounds so damn nice.
^ and a lot of those tone junkies are SRV wannabes playing to a sold out madison square bedroom every weekend. legions of popular and influential guitarists have distortions and many with GASP BOSS DISTORTIONS on their boards.
oh dont get me wrong, i would use both the natural tube break up as well, i love it, but or the heavier stuff i think id stick with my muff.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Gotta get me a metal muff and ts9 tube screamer when I finally get me a hot rod deluxe. In conjunction with my RP350 I will be complete. YAY!
Quote by Jackolas
Gotta get me a metal muff and ts9 tube screamer when I finally get me a hot rod deluxe. In conjunction with my RP350 I will be complete. YAY!

thread jacker....

kidding. what kind of amp you got man? any recomendations?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well the amp I have atm is a little starter practise SS amp.

I'm hoping to get the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Awesome bit of kit, I've tried out loads of amps in the price range of £450 - 750 and it is honestly better than the Laneys, Vox and Marshalls (sounded muddy, they have gone down in quality imho).

The HR Deluxe had beautiful cleans. I mean, real sweet. Awesome low to mid distortion and could get to high gain (blues wise) leads from the box. It also sounds amazing with pedals (check the vid below) and I heard works really well with metal pedals (metal muff) as well thanks to a great effects loops and 3 good channels.

Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGj9IU5os94&mode=related&search=
Is the Metal Muff also good for overdrive? I need a pedal that can go from overdrive to distortion. No need for fuzz; I hate fuzz.
Quote by MyraT
Is the Metal Muff also good for overdrive? I need a pedal that can go from overdrive to distortion. No need for fuzz; I hate fuzz.

Here's what I am hoping to do.

Metal Muff - distortion.

Oveerdrive - blues breaker or tube screamer.
Quote by LaidBack
i have yet to find the price on a new F-30...since there are no used ones around by me, but i know they will be pricey. and what about the B-52 AT 112 or the peavey valveking.

There are no new F series amps from Mesa, they've been replaced by the Express series. A new 5:25 combo sells in the $1200 range. You should be able to find something like the F30 for under $700 used (I'd hope! I've seen F50's at $800-900). Check eBay.

The Mesa will be a lot more expensive than those other amps you listed, and it'll be well worth it, too. You don't want to cheap out on your amp if you don't have to. It equates to a good 80% of your tone, conservatively. There are other amps between these and the Mesa that might do a good job for you with the addition of a pedal or two, too. Which you already seem to have. I'd rather get a Peavey Classic 30 (or 50) than a B-52 or a Valveking.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by TehJermie
^ and a lot of those tone junkies are SRV wannabes playing to a sold out madison square bedroom every weekend. legions of popular and influential guitarists have distortions and many with GASP BOSS DISTORTIONS on their boards.

duly noted. i myself have an mi audio crunchbox and an '82 proco rat on my board that i use quite often through my hrd. as i said, nothing at all wrong with using distortion through a tube amp, you'll (ts) just find that doing so has garnered a bad reputation on ug. but who cares, whatever sounds good to you.
Quote by slatsmania
There are no new F series amps from Mesa, they've been replaced by the Express series. A new 5:25 combo sells in the $1200 range. You should be able to find something like the F30 for under $700 used (I'd hope! I've seen F50's at $800-900). Check eBay.

The Mesa will be a lot more expensive than those other amps you listed, and it'll be well worth it, too. You don't want to cheap out on your amp if you don't have to. It equates to a good 80% of your tone, conservatively. There are other amps between these and the Mesa that might do a good job for you with the addition of a pedal or two, too. Which you already seem to have. I'd rather get a Peavey Classic 30 (or 50) than a B-52 or a Valveking.

yea, i believe i saw one on ebay for about 750-780ish starting bid...when i get the chash, to ebay it is....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I like a good distortion pedal through a tube amp. I like it better as a tonal option run through the clean channel rather than combining it with the overdriven lead channnel. With my stuff they don't seem to mix well.
i was thinking of doing the same uldhppi. then also having the actual amps OD as another option via footswitch.

also if i pick up a tube amp would it be adviseable to grab myself a EQ and maybe even a compressor as well? i am a tone-*****, one that switches every 30 seconds...so of course i like to be able to adjust as much as possible.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have a compressor but I don't use it much, limited applications. It is kind of nice for clean blues, and does seem to overdrive the amp a little more, but it cuts out a lot of the pick attack and string dynamics that I like. An EQ pedal does wonders for tube amps. Many pros run two of them, one through the effects loop and one up front. For home I wouldn't go to that extreme. The two things I see lacking in your pedal collection are a wah and a phaser/flanger. Standard kit. Some like delay pedals.
yea, all i have is the metal muff, the DS-1 which i dont use as much...but still love, a planetwaves floor tuner and digitech rp250a. my pedals are not the greatest, but for my current setup it works. i get my wah out of the digitech. and i have a delay on my current amp (Behringer GMX 210, honestly not a bad amp for SS, amazing cleans). but once i do get a tube i am going to drop the digitech because lets face it, i dont want my sound to be digital. so would probibly pick up a second hand wah. or not, i dont use one much, but im starting to get a hell of a lot better at soloing so you never know.

and my buddy has a flanger i can use if need be.

why dont i post more on here? its damn fun....im the only one in my dorm that plays and i have no one to talk about this shizz with. heh.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Jackolas

that dude can play the blues so awesome....

@TS

valveking wont get the job done for what you want...the overdrive sounds pretty bad, even compared to the hotrod.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
yea, i was thinking why not just go all out. i know i wont stop playing guitar unless i somehow loose my fingers, hands, arms. and even then id find a new way to play. so id figure to go for a used mesa F-30 or F-50. the F-50 is a bit much for me right now, but i figure if i take good care of it i will be a "lifetime" amp, you know? my first tube, its going to have some sort of sentimental value behind it.....yea, im like that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals