Hi,

I recently decided I'd learn to read music, as it opens up a lot more avenues, and becoming a session musician is something I'd like to do one day.

I'm a total beginner, so does anyone know where I should start?

My mother is grade 8 on piano, and can sight read, she said she'd teach me.

Is piano to guitar transferable, or is the sheet music two totally different things?

I'm quite a fast learner, and ideas on how long it would take to become good at it? I spose it'll depend on how dedicated and how often I learn.

Cheers for any advice.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
Hi,

I recently decided I'd learn to read music, as it opens up a lot more avenues, and becoming a session musician is something I'd like to do one day.

I'm a total beginner, so does anyone know where I should start?

My mother is grade 8 on piano, and can sight read, she said she'd teach me.

Is piano to guitar transferable, or is the sheet music two totally different things?

I'm quite a fast learner, and ideas on how long it would take to become good at it? I spose it'll depend on how dedicated and how often I learn.

Cheers for any advice.

I actually can't read music but I believe you will pretty much learn it in no time since you have teacher.
Yeah but I can see it getting quite difficult.

There's so many things you can do with a guitar.

Harmonics
Slides
Hammer on
Pull Off
Trem Pick
Trill

That's just scratching the surface. I guess there's symbols or something for when you need to do something to certain notes.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
Yeah but I can see it getting quite difficult.

There's so many things you can do with a guitar.

Harmonics
Slides
Hammer on
Pull Off
Trem Pick
Trill

That's just scratching the surface. I guess there's symbols or something for when you need to do something to certain notes.

Those are just ornaments (that's the right word?).
Still, if you are familiar with those techniques I doubt that this will be a problem but anyways you'll get them as you play.

I think guitar music sheets are less difficult than piano (of course there are exceptions).
Firstly you should learn what notes are placed on neck. Then learn where are they palced on staves
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Quote by One Way Ticket
Two weeks ago, Yngwie Malmsteen walked up to me at a mall and gave me a bag of donuts. He told me "I don eat no focking donuts".
yeah its transferable, but be aware that the middle c on a guitar is an octave lower than the pianos middle c
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Ok thanks. I've been looking into buying books on the internet, to have a look myself.

I know most of the notes on the fretboard, well I could tell you what notes are A B C D E F and G, and what key a scale is.

It's a start!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Can you place these notes on music sheet?
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Quote by One Way Ticket
Two weeks ago, Yngwie Malmsteen walked up to me at a mall and gave me a bag of donuts. He told me "I don eat no focking donuts".
Nope, as I said, never even looked at a music sheet.

Except for about 8 years ago in school but I remember nothing.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

The techniques aren't hard to read at all. They will be the least of your worries. Guitar is harder than piano in some respects, since you can play the same thing in many positions, and some positions are better for the sound, or what things you have to play after it.

It is going to take practice. It's not super easy, and it's something you can always get better at. When you get to the point where you sight read any sort of piece with reasonably proficiency, you feel real good and realize it's worth it. You will also be unlocking many musical options by learning to read music. I commend you muchly for this.

You can play the treble clef directly off her piano music.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by EZLN libertad
yeah its transferable, but be aware that the middle c on a guitar is an octave lower than the pianos middle c

I have heard this before on here and its an outright falacy. Middle C is middle C.
^He means between written and sound.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
^He means between written and sound.

Isn't middle C the first fret of the B string?