Hey
Last night , i was playing through my rp80 with headphones (dont do that very often) and the tone was much better and clearer than the amplifier i use (a 15Wt solid state no brand piece of crap). Though, the headphones are cheap $25 phillips ones.
Another thing i noticed was that the harmonics were subdued massively. On the amplifier i could get harmonics without even trying but on the headphones they practically died out almost instantly.
I would really like to know how that happened?
Thanks
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Yeah, it's weird, when I first started playing on my old SS (And I have really good quality headphones btw), I thought : Wow, this is surprisingly good for an SS amp.

Soon, though, I realised the tone was even more squelchy and bleurgh-y than before. Ah well.

But, I don't know how to answer your question.
the distance the sound wave has to travel between an amp is greatly reduced when you use headphones.
HEadphones also largely eliminate the impact of the rooms acoustics.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i just got some senhieser ones for £25.....and there awesome., the tone is pretty wierd, i think its because its compressed.

But for listening to music loud when my family have gone to sleep..i can stay up watching music DVDs, albums etc...and jam.
I believe the main reason is because of the speakers. Speakers can make a big difference in your sound.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Any thoughts on the thing about the harmonics?

(PS: should i replace my amps speaker then, will it improve its tone alot?)
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Quote by Kramer1309
Any thoughts on the thing about the harmonics?

(PS: should i replace my amps speaker then, will it improve its tone alot?)

No point polishing turd, mate. Get a better amp.
and the harmonics thing, i found that quite interesting as normally, the headphones i used have quite a decent high end (plugged in to a cd player etc), so what could've happened there?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000