Today in a guitar shop in town I tried out a few Les Pauls, notably an Epi Custom, a Gibson Studio and a Gibson Custom. Obviously the Gibson Custom blew me away, what an amazing instrument! Sadly, at £1,800 (second hand) it's a bit over budget for me. The Epi was nice at £360 but I then picked up the Studio and I was very impressed. The sound a feel was far superior compared to the Epi (which you would expect for twice the price) and I'm seriously considering buying it. I'm going to do a Peter Green modification to it and that's where the importance of the Gibson quality over Epi quality would come into it.

I was just wondering if we have any Studio owners here? Anything I should know before I take the plunge?

Cheers,
J
The only thing you should know is your getting a seriously awesome guitar.

I've never owned a Studio, but I've played one, and I own a Les Paul Standard. The sound quality I'd say is about the same between the two of them, and I've had my Standard for about for more than five years, and I've not had a single problem with it. Gibsons are built tough, so unless you're buying it heavily used, don't expect anything to go wrong anytime soon.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Today in a guitar shop in town I tried out a few Les Pauls, notably an Epi Custom, a Gibson Studio and a Gibson Custom. Obviously the Gibson Custom blew me away, what an amazing instrument! Sadly, at £1,800 (second hand) it's a bit over budget for me. The Epi was nice at £360 but I then picked up the Studio and I was very impressed. The sound a feel was far superior compared to the Epi (which you would expect for twice the price) and I'm seriously considering buying it. I'm going to do a Peter Green modification to it and that's where the importance of the Gibson quality over Epi quality would come into it.

I was just wondering if we have any Studio owners here? Anything I should know before I take the plunge?

Cheers,
J

Hi there!
I know bits and bobs about guitars and one of the things that i do know is that a gibson studio is an awsome guitar. It is exactly the same as a gibson les paul.The sound and everything. The best thing is that it is half the price of the les paul, this is because the studio does not have the same body fhinish as the les paul. I want a Studio too and thts what hopefully i ll be able to buy soon after some saving up. Seeing iam only 18 and unemployed. GET THE STUDIO!!!
Jon
I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I got it almost 1 and a half years ago and I still use it as my primary guitar. Just like Dani Nead said, nothing has gone wrong w/ my Les Paul since I bought it. Yeah, a few scratches on the back from my belt and some little, little dings on the headstock, but it still looks great and plays great. I think you'll be very happy going w/ the Studio. You don't need to fork out that extra money for the custom since you'll be modifying yours anyways...
i've owned mine for 3 years now....never done me wrong. threw some dimarzio evo's in it, new hardware and electronics...still my main guitar
Studios are a waste of money when you could just get an Epi custom and upgrade it's pups, which will be enough to beat out the Studio. Hell, my upgraded Epi Custom beats one of my Gibson LPs and is almost as good as the second, and cost just a fraction of the price of what even just a Gibson Studio would cost. Then there's the fact it's weight is far better distributed than the Studio...

If you really want a good LP but you can't afford an actual full Gibson LP, don't just settle for a Studio. Get an Epi LP, and take the time to upgrade it's pickups, maybe change the bridge, and take the time a well to find one of the better Epis (since some are amazing, some are average, and some are awful - their quality control is kind of all over the place). You'll end up with something far greater than the Studio, and save yourself some money too.
and epi LP custom with modded pickups wont sound the same sorry to say, it has a alder top instead of a maple which will effect midrange tones, epis arent my favriote thing, their stock pickups are crap and so is their wiring and i really dont trust their construction as much as i used to, LP studios are a better guitar, great pickups, all mahogany, they are lighter and a tad thiner than standards or customs but they still maintain the heavy sound of an LP without all the flametops and binding, its a far superior guitar to an epiphone custom
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I have a studio. Ive been trying to get rid of it for almost a year now. to bad the guitar market has bottomed out and theyre worth about 400£ nowdays. the worksmanship was shoddy to say the least. it cost almost 400 pound to get it fixed up, as i ended up with dodgy wiring, metal fatigue, frets popping out, faulty pickup changer. be careful, gibsons quality control is disgraceful. that and your paying alot for a brand name. i'd consider ibanez and schetcer and those sorts of brands before deciding on a gibson.
I own a Studio and it's AMAZING! Very well constructed, A+ fits and finish, Flawless Hardware, and tone to die for.

These guitars are a work of art and are fully precise instruments. Everyone should have a Studio in their line up!

Here is pictures of my Studio. Sadly, I have to sell her.

"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
The Studios are a hit or miss, play a few and your likely to find yourself a good one. I must say though the two I have played had some pretty sub-par fret work. Have you considered looking at the Epi LP Elitist? Far better guitar for the price IMO.
I'm flabbergasted at any negative or sub-par review on the Gibson studio. Maybe some reviewers here are confusing the Epi studio as a Gibson studio?

If there are a few bad Studios out there, then I feel very fortunate to have one of the Good ones. I have never played a nicer or sweeter sounding Les Paul.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
I played Epi Elitist, and several others before I knew the Studio easily outshined them. It was a no brainer decision on mine, I play it daily. I love the thing because it holds tune dramatically well, I can literally play for 4 hours a day, 3 days in a row, and it will be barely out of tune. Haven't been able to do that with any other guitar i've owned. I promise you will in no way be disappointed.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
If you can find pre 1999 Studios they are amazing though (basically all pre '99 Gibsons are)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Paith
I played Epi Elitist, and several others before I knew the Studio easily outshined them. It was a no brainer decision on mine, I play it daily. I love the thing because it holds tune dramatically well, I can literally play for 4 hours a day, 3 days in a row, and it will be barely out of tune. Haven't been able to do that with any other guitar i've owned. I promise you will in no way be disappointed.

You have the same guitar that I have.

Cheers to a smart man
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
i had a studio but traded it in for a standard, the difference as far as i am concerned was cosmetic, in fact in retrospect the studio was actually much better set up. maybe that was pure chance. gibson has a bad name for quality control, try a few before you buy.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
edwards/tokai (japanese)/other japanese copy/gordon smith.

that is all. EDIT: or get a second-hand old one as gabe says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?