Once my A levels are over, or during freetime in college, I want to try my hand at building a guitar. I was thinking of doing a sort of a neck-through jackson RR7 or a 7 string agile ghost(also neck through for better higher fret accesability and sustain). Probably do a 26.5in scale.

What tools would i absolutely need to make one? I'm a noob to woodwork as far as I know, but I'm a quicklearner.

Also which of the shapes would be easier and cheaper for a beginner. I assume the RR since I would need to cut out fewer curves. What would you guys recomend?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You'll need LOTS of clamps, and a bandsaw is very, very useful.
------------------
make a Bo Diddly guitar, you won't have to make shapes at all, lol :P

First of all, get some books, there are plenty of books on how to build a guitar, or at least on how to work with wood.

What kind of wood do you want, what kind of finish, neckshape (i recommend to buy the neck, build the rest) ?
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
obviously some kind of saw to cut your wood lol. sand paper to smooth out the wood. A chizzle of some sort to make chambers for your pickups batteries(active pickups) and what not. a drill for holes for wires and input jack. and then a screw driver. i think thats it, but i've never made one so your guess is as goos as mine. good luck
Well, I was thinking a bandsaw like mentioned, a router, a drill, a sander(or just sandpaper?), and a small knife to mark out stuff...
but I wasn't sure if I was missing out on anything..

and I don't want to buy a seperate neck because I really want a neck-through for upper fret access. A bolt on might work, but I want 24 frets and I'm not sure unless I give it an ibanez style heel, but that would take quite a bit of skill. Plus I can't find a 7 string neck I like that premade

As for woods, I was thinking probably alder since thats my favorite. Probably a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard if I do the RR, or a maple fretboard if i do the other one.
I want to get a neck shape similiar to my current kramer which is incredibly comfy(btw, how would I find its neck radius? there is absolutely no info about this guitaron the net)

Finish would be glossy black with red pinstripes if I go with the RR(most probable), or a red trans-finish with a darker lower bout for the other one. Similiar to the jeff loomis sig.

Probably do a string through with a tune-o-matic bridge or if I'm feeling upto it, a floyd.

Ibanez style angled back headstock. Also, I probably wouldn't do it, but I saw a cool guitar with an integrated wireless transmitter which would be a cool idea.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Sep 27, 2007,
Hmm, why don't you make your own design? After all, you're putting alot of work into this guitar. I would try to make something unique. But if you really want a RR-shaped guitar, go for it.

I would go for the string-through and TOM setup. The sustain will be incredible with the neck-through construction. I also recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book on guitar building.

------------------
Routers are very important, surprised no one's mentioned them yet. There are alternatives, but I'm pretty sure routers are the easiest way, especially if you have a template and use a guided bit.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Its not that I really want an RR, but I do think if I do it well it would look killer.

In terms of unique, I had a pretty nice mod to the agile ghost which is a mod to the explorer itself. But it wouldn be a lot of work and a lot of curves which I dont think I'd be upto. Maybe the 2nd guitar.

Either way wont be making even the RR for a while. Gotta get past my A levels first so it'll be a free time sort of thing. But yeah the sustain would be awesome.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Also out of curiosity, since its a neck through(i think i'll settle on the RR), which way would be best?
1)3 piece neck with the sides of the guitar as glued on wings(therefore a 5 part guitar?)
2)3 piece neck with the left part of the body and the neck as one and the right part of the body and neck as one? Therefore a 3 part guitar?

Which would be cheaper and which would be better?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350