Not if you want to get an OD sound
A transparent OD will increase gain, which is volume, so it's a volume booster basically, so will push a tube amp into overdrive volume, but other OD's could imitate it and as such have their uses [my amps dirty channel is far to loud for quiter practice, and so i use an OD with it for overdriven tones]
So it's what you want it for really
Also some people prefer non-transparant ODs to colour their OD tone, such as the TS pedals and the Fulltone OCD, they add their own colour, which can sound real great when added on top of already tube amp OD.
^ +1

They also sound good used on their own - their colour emulates the sound of a real overdriven valve amp. I use an OD as a bedroom gain channel for my 5 watter.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Hakanku
Also some people prefer non-transparant ODs to colour their OD tone, such as the TS pedals and the Fulltone OCD, they add their own colour, which can sound real great when added on top of already tube amp OD.

isn't the OCD transparent ?
so a transparent od is just a clean boost to push the amp into OD ?
and a non-transparent od adds its own OD ?
The OCD is very transparent in a way. It lets the tone of the amp and guitar trhough, but also still has it's own flair.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
A transparent OD is not a clean boost... a clean boost is a clean boost. A transparent OD will add overdrive and volume, but doesn't significantly affect the frequency response. You won't get the typical Tubescreamer mid-hump with a more transparent one, for example. Note that I didn't use the word 'gain', it avoids confusion since somebody decided to label the preamp level knobs 'gain' on their amplifiers, and now guitarists think gain is distortion.
Quote by The Masterplan
what is it, and is it good or bad for an OD or does it depend what you want ?
An OD that allows the dynamics of your picking to come through is transparent. Some distortion clips the signal and crunches picking dynamics out. A transparent OD would still add dirt but not clip out the dynamics. If you just want to boost the signal then get an EQ like the F&C and turn up the level control to amplify the signal. OD's add dirt.