I need to try and get into a music program at a college in under 2 years, and I'm becoming concerned about how I'm going to do it.

The thing is, I have a fair bit of technical expertise, and I can play quickly and accurately all over the fretboard. I can play many tabs from sight, and I have a decent repertoire of songs I know. However, my theory, sight-reading, and ear are still quite untrained.

I was wondering what the practice schedules you guys use are. I realize some people don't have them (don't post just to repeat this statement), but for those that do, I'd like to hear what they are.

Ie, do you sit and use a third of your practice time for sight-reading, a third for theory training, and a third for jamming/practicing riffs/running up and down scales?

If you read please post, I hate seeing like 200 views and 8 posts.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I think you are asking the wrong question. We have different goals than you, so would have different practice routines.

Your question should be "what do I need to do to achieve this goal? ". You answered your own question in your post too. Spend time sight reading, theoryizing, and ear training to catch those skills up to your technical level.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Right, first off...did you say you have two years to prepare to get into college? If so what are you worried for? Secondly, you'll learn all about sight-reading and music theory on the course so as long as you are a good player you are more then likely to get onto the course. FINALLY, to answer your actual question...The practice routine should be made up of things that you are working on because you need to get them perfect (for gigs etc) and things that you can't yet play, such as scales that you don't know, peices from a grade book ready for an exam, songs that you haven't learnt yet...and you should also get used to listening to a piece of music and tryimng to figure out how to play it from ear, because this is always handy...but, MOST IMPORTANTLY, before you do any practice, you should do a quick warm-up to looosen off your hands and fingers and make sure that you aren't going to hurt yourself during practice...and just so you know, I got into this routine recently when my tutor on my ND Music Practice Course said that that was what a proper practice should consist of, and this should be at least an hour each and every day, more if you have major gigs or exams comong up. I hope this helps and answers your question thoroughly...mail me if you need more advice on this matter, or post hear again
Holy paragraph.

To get into the course, I need to be able to sightread a difficult piece, as well as pass a music theory exam...so I can't just "be a good player and get in".

Thank you for the advice though.

And thanks, Nightwind, I see what you mean.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
nightwind ftw.... ideally you'll want to start learning these things before you go into college, especially sightreading sheet music. this is probably the hardest thing for me to do personally (i can do it, it just takes longer than i'd like) also the only other piece of advice you probably already know and have heard which is practice SLOWLY and CLEANLY. i don't practice much anymore (though i probably should) but when i do i go SLOWLY and CLEANLY (this applies to me right now for sweeping as i still suck at it!)
1/4 scales
1/4 improv
1/4 theory
1/4 fun
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
OK, so your college expects you to be good at this stuff when you get in, fair enough...but the practice routine I said is what my college said was an official and effective practice routine...and to help learn sight-reading, try learning a bit of keyboard/piano...it helps and you'll probably have keyboard skills in a music course at college anyway, so you might as well get a head start just in case.
I don't a particular method of practice really. It changes everyday so I can't help you much there.

On the sight reading, however, the only way to get better is to practice. It will take sometime and effort but you'll get it down eventually.