Hey

I'm a huge fan of bands like DFA and lightning bolt, and i've been slowly edging into making my guitar sounds bigger and bigger for a while now

I know both these bands use bass rather than guitar, but i'm a guitarist through and through, none of this 4 string bollocks, thank you very much.

So far my current set up is: Hughes and Kettner Tour Attax reverb 100w Hand modded/hot rodded tele with Bareknuckle piledrivers, a Dirty Rat, Vexter Fuzz Factory, Self-Built Vintage MXR 90-a-like and a Small Clone.

I am currently in a two-man loud noises/art-rock band similar to the aforementioned artists. I manage all right with the listed pedals and equipment, but i really want something to beef up my sound, yet keep my rig fairy portable.

I tried a Russian big muff and that seemed rather awesome, coupled with a Boss OC-3 it had a brilliant tone, but I was wondering what other alternatives there would be to this? I've had a bad track record with Boss gear, and i don't feel like i should splash out on something I'm not full in confidence with.

My primary purchases will be a new thick beefy fuzz, such as a Big muff or similar and an octave pedal that can do -2 octaves. I have also been considering a blue box.

I was offered a Euthymia ICBM fuzz for £70, now although this is meant to be the holy grail of Big Muffs, will it give me the grit and fatness that i desire?

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers.
The Whammy pedal can do -2 Oct, but I've never tried one to see if it sounds any good. I don't really know what to suggest other than playing a bass. I bought a bass about a year and a half ago and I've probably played it for 10 hours tops, so I definitely understand why you would be against doing that. Those bands are awesome, though.
Epi Les Paul Standard with BB Pros
Vox 847A Wah->Fulltone Fulldrive 2->EHX Big Muff Pi->DD-3->EHX SMMwH->Fender Blues Deluxe
How about an EFX POG. It is basically an octave eq, so you can add -1, -2, +1, and +2 in any combinations you can think of.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I play bass in a doom metal band so we're tuned close to DFA, I use big muff and it sounds pretty similiar to that tone. I don't know how close the new ones are to the russian ones you mentioned but that might good. Hope that helps.
Definitely POG, it'll sound like skies coming down through a big fuzz pedal. Boss Super Octave if thats outside your budget. Crank the amp right out too, they get a lot that vibe from sheer volume.

Big Muff is cheap and good for a thick fuzz sound, especially if you run an octave pedal through it. Don't bother with the Blue Box, theres a volume drop and its difficult to keep consistent. I've never played an ICBM but they have a great reputation. Try a basic American Muff and if you don't like it, return it and go for the ICBM.

Note: you aren't going to get as huge a sound as they are through just one guitar amp. Think about getting a cheap solid state bass amp and splitting the signal so the octave pedal can run into that. It'll sound massive, but you'll still have the clear guitar on top, and the option of cutting one or other of the amps out for bits.
Hmm, i think i may well go with the POG, and purchase a Big Muff at some point later, i think my FF will do for the moment, until i can scrape up the rest of the cash.

I'm changing the volume pot of my tele out to a 1meg one and dropping a 4 way switch into it to wire the pickups into series for a big-ass sound.

I was considering buying a cheap-ish 100w bass combo and feeding a line out into it, or splitting my guitar signal into the bass amp and my H&K. Also considered buying some bass cabs and running them as ext. Speakers to push more air.

Also, for live use, as this is primarily what the project is for, if the cab's are positioned either side of the stage and mic'd so there is another layer of guitar through the PA this might help...

Anyone have/know any serious compatibility issues with the POG? The FF can get a bit fussy as to what you stick behind/in front of it sometimes.

Thanks for all the help so far
Quote by Spirals
Hmm, i think i may well go with the POG, and purchase a Big Muff at some point later, i think my FF will do for the moment, until i can scrape up the rest of the cash.

I'm changing the volume pot of my tele out to a 1meg one and dropping a 4 way switch into it to wire the pickups into series for a big-ass sound.

I was considering buying a cheap-ish 100w bass combo and feeding a line out into it, or splitting my guitar signal into the bass amp and my H&K. Also considered buying some bass cabs and running them as ext. Speakers to push more air.

Also, for live use, as this is primarily what the project is for, if the cab's are positioned either side of the stage and mic'd so there is another layer of guitar through the PA this might help...

Anyone have/know any serious compatibility issues with the POG? The FF can get a bit fussy as to what you stick behind/in front of it sometimes.

Thanks for all the help so far

Splitting the signal instead of running line out gives you more options, fuzz bass sounds over clean guitar for example, but its really a taste-dependant thing. The buffer in the POG is good I think, but fuzzes tend to like straight guitar signal hitting them, although distortion into POG will make it less accurate. Try it out on your rig before you buy it if thats possible. I'd still go POG > Fuzz myself, it'll sound massive with the distorted octaves.
I just received the POG today ("used" see: virtually new, off ebay for £150)

The thing gets rather noisy with fuzz before and after (fuzz rat) but sounds beautiful on its own. I think it will just take a bit of tweaking to get it sounding good .. Prehaps a noise gate is worth buying.

The thing can pump out so much bass it's unbelievable.
If you aint got no objections on money, ISP Decimater, one of the best.