Yeah... pretty p*ssed off about my guitar right now haha.

Basically, i got an Ibanez SZ520FM, seemed like what I wanted, felt great, still does feel great although I've put 11's on it for some reason which I dislike

But the stock pickups didn't do what I wanted them to do, so really i bought it because it felt good bit of a mistake it would seem...
But anyway, got a set of Dimarzio Evo II in the bridge and Evo in the neck, what a mistake. I don't know whether its the pickups don't go with the guitar or whether it's just the guitar sounds crap.

As in, the stock pickups in my Ibanez RG370DX blow this guitar away lol...

And its put me in a right downer tbh, considering I'd saved for ages for it, I know it's not the most expensive guitar but I don't get paid an awful lot

But surely there must be pickups or something that can make the guitar sound good, I've not had a decent sound from it since I bought it... or should I just call it a day and try sell it
What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well I live with my dad, and he has a Jcm900 so I mostly use that,
But I use a Peavy Bandit if I can't have it as loud.
What music do you play?

Have you adjusted the pickups' heights and pole pieces?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Give it a good setup. Put your preference of strings on it, intonate it, adjust the a action, and make sure that the pickups are close enough to the strings.
And if you play death metal, nu metal, grindcore, or anything else that uses stupidly high gain, Evos are not the best pickups.
Quote by FacingUsAll
What music do you play?

Have you adjusted the pickups' heights and pole pieces?

Yeah I've been adjusting the pickups for like a month now haha...
Had them in and back out again too, which seemed to help every so slightly, cleared things up a bit but still a genuinly horrible tone. It's not as if theres anything wrong with it physically, its just a crap sound...
I wanted something with more more balls to it, a tighter low end, but still keeping it nice and thick, and for the leads to be alot stronger.
Which these seem to fail at both...
Quote by which ones pink
Give it a good setup. Put your preference of strings on it, intonate it, adjust the a action, and make sure that the pickups are close enough to the strings.
And if you play death metal, nu metal, grindcore, or anything else that uses stupidly high gain, Evos are not the best pickups.

Haha, nah man, I don't play that stuff. I do play alot of stuff, I played nothing but metal for like 5 years solid, but these days I play a whole bunch of stuff.
I play alot of hard rock/blues, Peter Green, Clapton, Jimmy Page, SRV, Hendrix , etc.
I s'pose I use a bit much gain for what I use, on the Bandit I usually have the gain about 3 or 4 in the high gain setting, but it just seems to give a stronger tone, with a bit more sustain. If I'm using the Jcm I don't use much gain, cause it's usually up pretty loud.

But I know it's not the amps anyway, because my dad's SG and strat sounds amazing through both, and my RG370 as I said, blows the SZ away it would seem.

I still do dabble with a bit of 'metal', but generally I prefer a more relaxed tone. if I play anything high gain it's Randy Rhodes or EVH or something.
Sorry I probably should have mentioned, It doesn't really set up, the actions fine, intonation needed adjusted but it in tune and feels fine now. And like I said the pickups have been played with not stop so I mean, it would just seem the pickups totally clash with the guitar.
Don't you give up on me Davey, after all we've been through
Try different settings on your amp with the pickups.
different settings suit different pickups.
The Evos are very midrange heavy, and emphasize the harmonics. They're built for shred, having been designed for Steve Vai, after all. I think you're looking for something more vintage, with a fuller tone, instead of that insane clarity you get with Evos.

If you want, go to this site- www.guitarfetish.com- and buy a vintage voiced bridge pickup. Their pickups are high quality, and will only set you back about $30.
I don't understand why that guitar doesn't sound good. I haven't played it but judging it by specs alone it should be great. The only electronics issue to check is the pots. See what the values is, and ask someone if an upgrade is useful or advisable.
Quote by which ones pink
The Evos are very midrange heavy, and emphasize the harmonics. They're built for shred, having been designed for Steve Vai, after all. I think you're looking for something more vintage, with a fuller tone, instead of that insane clarity you get with Evos.

If you want, go to this site- www.guitarfetish.com- and buy a vintage voiced bridge pickup. Their pickups are high quality, and will only set you back about $30.

That is good advice, and even if there only just abit better, $30!
Quote by which ones pink

Cant be that high quality fotr that price...
You *definitely* need new pickups.

High output ceramic pickups aren't going to get you the vintageish tone that you want. Who told you to buy those pickups anyway?

Golden Age Pickups make some decent PAF style pickups.

If you're willing to spend the money, you could get some custom pickups at www.highorderpickups.com.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Sep 27, 2007,
If you do give up i'll have that guitar

Pickups are the problem, agreed the stock pickups on that guitar are pretty useless but get a nice set of Bareknuckles they will sort your tone right out.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
I'm not sure if its the pickups or not but I've heard numerous times that Evo's will bring out every mistake you make in your playing.
Save some money and buy a new gutiar, bro.

I started with my SA160. Bought my Strat now I'm prospecting a Les Paul Classic.