I am a semi-beginner. Playing just over a year. I'm thinking I may have fallen into a bad habit with my picking hand. I tend to sort of anchor my pinky on the bottom E string. I would have never even realized, but I took a video of myself playing to test out my new camera, and it really stood out.

Soooo... what is the correct thing to do with that little guy? Close my hand into a loose fist, just let it stick out, ect...
i don't think it really matters as long as it doesn't get in the way. like if u wanted to start to learn to cross-pick, you'd have to stop resting that pinky. but i doubt it matters. although, id try and kick the habit, so that won't limit your playing ability.
I just keep my 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger together and keep the pick between index and thumb.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i use it as an anchor on the body of the guitar when im fingerpicking on an acoustic..... when im on an electric tho i just usually curl it into my palm and hold a pick with it.
I used to anchor my wrist and keep my pinky in

But then i figured out for me at least that anchoring my hand limits my mobility of my picking hand, so i floaaaaaat and just keep my finger out of the way of the strings
think of it this way, if you curl under those fingers into a loose fist, then the motion of your picking should be coming more from the wrist than your fingers while using a pick. so since your wrist is stronger than your fingers this is exactly what you want, especially if you are working on technical proficiency and speed. so I recommend that you curl those fingers under.
Well regardless of what you do with your pinky, it doesn't matter. Dave Mustaine for example, anchors his pinky on the high e string.

Me personally, it depends on what I'm playing. If I'm playing fast, I stretch my middle, ring, and pinky fingers straight out, and play like that. If I'm playing slow, I curve them slightly.

Just depends on the player, is all.
IMO playing just over a year you should be more than a semi-begginer!
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by Cacophonic
Well regardless of what you do with your pinky, it doesn't matter. Dave Mustaine for example, anchors his pinky on the high e string.

Me personally, it depends on what I'm playing. If I'm playing fast, I stretch my middle, ring, and pinky fingers straight out, and play like that. If I'm playing slow, I curve them slightly.

Just depends on the player, is all.

He's an advocate for non-anchored playing, or at least has been for a number of years, he says he was able to speed up alot when he stopped hooking his fingers to the e-string/pickup
I usually just relax all of my fingers. Playing relaxed and totally un-tensed is a key to good technique.
I kicked my habit of anchoring and my playing became a lot smoother, because now I have more freedom of movement. It wasn't that hard for me to get rid of anchoring, took me about a week to re-adjust. But if you really wanna anchor, well.. there are plenty of really good players who anchor.
you can't argue with success. if you play all right with it anchored on the e string, well the no problem there. personally, however, if you prefer to anchor, dont rest your pinky on the string, anchor it on the body.
^_^
Quote by Longhairedrockr
i use it as an anchor on the body of the guitar when im fingerpicking on an acoustic..... when im on an electric tho i just usually curl it into my palm and hold a pick with it.

I do the same.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Relax it. As long as it doesn't touch anything, you're good to go.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.