Well, I think getting a GH50L is going to be outwith my price range, so need to look some more. I was looking at the VC30-212, which looks a tempting amp. The highest amount of gain I need is about Gilbert(think technical difficulties). Now I know this amps gain might not be enough, but would it work if I bought a metal muff too and ran it on the clean channel? If I went with the VC30-212+footswitch and the metal muff, it would come to 450 pounds which I can affoard. Would this work?
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Gordon Smith electric guitar
Zoom GFX-707 Multi-effects
Crappy starter amp
What's the point in getting an amp for its gain, if you're just going to run a distortion through the clean channel?
Yes it will work but (I think) a good OD will be better than a Distortion pedal. Think Tubescreamer (or similar).

And Gilbert uses Laneys doesn't he and I think most of them are similarly voiced, of course there are differences between the GH50 and VC30. Because the VC is a Cleanish/Mid Gain amp it should manage.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Well I would use the amps natural distortion for stuff like Muse. But for the higher gain I need more oomph. I plan on get an overdrive pedal eventually. Or would I be best scrapping the metal muff, grab a TS or something similar and run it through the laney's gain channel?
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
it might do it; then again it might not. you'd need to try it, basically. it's definitely a vintage-voiced amp, but if you don't need modern metal out of it, you might be ok.

also the 1x12 is cheaper, and lighter.

EDIT: what i mean is, go with the 1x12 and you could afford a kick-ass booster pedal. something like an HBE power screamer, as it's quite high gain for an overdrive. go with the fat boost version.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, the 1x12 comes with worse speakers though doesn't it?
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
not too sure... the 70/80 isn't amazing, and could probably do with a swap eventually, but it's usable (*cough* unlike peavey's stock speakers *cough*)... and i wasn't aware the 210 or 212 had remarkably better speakers either, though i could be wrong.

what's your gordon smith, by the way? nice guitars.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm looked it up and maybe I was wrong about the speakers. There's only one place that stocks Laney's in Glasgow and they don't have the VC30 in so I'm having to go by sound clips from the internet, which I know isn't ideal. That's why I'm having to rely on UG to help guide me. The 1x12 is about 80 pounds cheaper at 297, paying 15 for the footswitch, that would give me about 120-ish for a good overdrive. Do you think that would be enough to get an overdrive to satisfy my gain need? I don't need like Necrophagist-style gain, but enough to reach Gilbert style would be great. On my Gordon Smith the headstock reads 'G.S.1.60', its a stunning green colour and I love it. I'm gonna take pictures soon and put them on my profile.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
ah sweet, i've tried one of those gordon smiths, they're very nice.

i've only tried the 1x12 to be honest, so i can't really advise there. but the other ones are a lot more money... i mean at the end of the day you could buy an extension cab with that extra cash.

i like the hbe power screamer for a higher gain overdrive, i definitely prefer the fat boost model though, which costs another £20 and i think that puts it slightly over the top (£150 or so?). the barber direct drive is meant to be nice, but i haven't tried it.

To be honest, pedals aren't really my forte...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Delta-dragoon
Well, I think getting a GH50L is going to be outwith my price range, so need to look some more. I was looking at the VC30-212, which looks a tempting amp. The highest amount of gain I need is about Gilbert(think technical difficulties). Now I know this amps gain might not be enough, but would it work if I bought a metal muff too and ran it on the clean channel? If I went with the VC30-212+footswitch and the metal muff, it would come to 450 pounds which I can affoard. Would this work?

The amp I'm selling on Ebay would be pretty good for those kinds of tones, check it out in my sig if you're interested; the reserve is only £200.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.