Can you wind them yourself?
I was wondering if I could do a scientific experiment where I wound a certain pickup different amounts (More or less wire, looser or tighter) then compare the sounds.
Tanks
yes you can wind them yourself, but as far as I know it takes some expensive equipment (feel free to prove me wrong here, I'm not 100% sure).
As far as I know, winding with more wire will make a 'hotter' sounding pickup, and less will make a vintage - ish sounding one. I think winding a pickup looser will make it more microphonic, not sure about tighter, though... I would guess the tighter the better until the point where it's so tight it is threatening to break the pickup.
I'm really not sure about all this, but I know there are users on here who wind there own pickups and can give you good advice.
Its all simple A level physics. Yes you can wind them yourself. The more windings, the louder it will sound since the flux linkage will be greater.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Its actually pretty cheap, its just tedious so most people dont do it. you can buy a pickup winder but most make their own out of a lathe or drill or something. theres kits of magnets and wire and whatnot available at stewmac.com
just ****in' google it.

It's cheap, and i build mine from old turntable. You can use old cassete tape cases for plastic and screws for bobbins. It was a bitch finding correct wire i have to admit.
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================
just ****in' google it.

It's cheap, and i build mine from old turntable. You can use old cassete tape cases for plastic and screws for bobbins. It was a bitch finding correct wire i have to admit.
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================