I was playing my bass without an amp and when i hammer-on'd a fret i got vibrations on the pickup side AND the nexk side of the fret. I liked how they sounded and i wanted to know how you would figure out what note it is.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Hmm...you could try measuring. Check the top fret to the nut, that'll be the hammer on note. Then measure that distance from the bridge to the fret that is closest (it cannot be greater), and that's the note. I'm sure if you do this multiple times (you probably can't get a true note if you hammer on the highest notes) along the middle of the fretboard you can find a pattern.
Well, it is only a "note", as in a traditionally defined A, B, C, D.... on a few key frets, those dividing the string exactly in half or in quarters, eighths, etc.

You won't find such perfect divisions on the fretboard as it is "even tempered" - a Baroque-era development allowing various scales to be assembled on a keyboard, or a guitar. At any rate, the even tempered scale slightly altered certain harmonically-based notes to allow for the flexibility of the modern Western 12-note scale.

Pre-1500 there were several ethnically-based five or seven note scales you may have heard of: Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian...

At some point there was a region called Phrygia, for instance.

These older scales were built on exact mathematical division of the notes, but they did not fit together well.

Consequently, there are few if any notes "behind" frets, although the harmonics (in the region of the 12th, fifth and seventh frets) do have complementary harmonics on the other end.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

well i assumed it wouldn't be a real note. I just want to know where I'd have to prebend to get said not so i can make a trippy chord
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Well unless you have something like a piezo nut you'd never hear it in any useful situation anyway...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Play amplified. Once you play with an amp you can't hear it and anyway it doesn't matter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.