Hey guys.

I have owned many basses in my time, I was a Yamaha Endorsee for a year, Have owned Gibsons, Musicmans, High End Fenders Etc.

However, I have converted to BCR Why? Read on.

Some of you may or may not have known that i have come into a bit of money recently. About 2000 Dollars. Alot of this from a student loan.

I had been thinking what i could buy bass wise with that money. I wanted a 5 string or more, i wanted pointy and neck thru. I have allways admired the NT 5 string warlocks that BCR churn out. I just love the straight ahead evil looks of them.

However i have 2000 dollars, Why order one? When i could go custom shop? (And pay the rest of the outstanding figure with my second loan installment)

Simple reason, I am afraid to spend that amount on one thing where i have so little experience with custom shop guitars, I was going over details so much and i just didnt step back and take a look at the bigger picture. I am going to Uni, I should technically use the money for education. Maybe investing in a new spec PC. (I update every year) Also i just dont know what to ask for in a custom shop bass, its so much work to try and make sure you have everything you want. I was going to order a 5 string Ironbird, Then at a good freinds suggestion, I had to think about the huge neck dive that it would have, Just like the Ironbird i have already. It would be near unplayable.

So i am taking a step back, I already have a lovely Custom shop bass (BCR Eagle) And a real looker in my ironbird, But i need a 5 string for my Death metal. I allways admired Dimmu Borgirs bassist who is immensly talented and the huge tone he got out of his stock NJ warlock.

Heres both of my current axes.

Wonky A BC Rich Custom Shop Eagle bass Used in Namm 2004 at the BCR booth.

My bird (90's USA Bolt on Ironbird bass, Took me forever to find her)

The Eagle is a real player, Lovely to the touch, Great tone. The Ironbird is a real looker, Though even with painful neck dive It has a great sound to it.

Some say why choose BCR? Their old stuff and high end stuff are great. Sure the company churn out alot of crap, Namely in the Rave/Bronze/Platinum series. But anything above is really good value for money, Especially recently. The quality is on the up and up.

I was looking at many different 5's as well, I was offered, Roscoes, Status's, Marleux, Spector rex's All sorts of high end equipment, But none of it grabbed me, Nothing unique, Just the same old boring designs over and over, Plus i couldnt think about spending all that money on something i havent played in RL and wasent satisfied with aesthetically.

So when i came across a site selling brand new NT Warlock 5 strings for £350 including shipping, I had to press that buy button.

It does everything for me, The look, the shape, The sound (A few weeks ago i would have said i hated P bass pickups, But Wonky changed all of that.) Its reletavly inexepensive, It also sets me up into sorting out what i want in a BCR custom shop eventually, The more BCR shapes i try out the better, To find out what is better for me, So next time student loan comes around i know more of what i want.

Who knows maybe i'll want a Custom shop 5 string warlock, Or hell maybe even the 5 String Ironbird again.

To me i think i have made the right choice in spending the money on this warlock, as an investment so i dont waste my money on a CS bass that i wasent sure i wanted.

So now i just have to wait for it to come through (Probably be here next Wednesday or thursday.) Play it, love it, See how much i can sort out the neck dive by. ( I am guessing the neck dive isent as bad as an ironbird right?)

Who knows, maybe use it as an upgrade platform?

At least I am keeping to just BCR's at the moment, This is the first time i have owned just BCR equipment. Its taken a long time to get where i am, at my peak i used to own 14 guitars/basses, Now just 3 basses. Two of which i love, Lets hope this Third one makes the grade!

So to finish. Dont judge a book by its cover, Just because BC Riches have pointy metal looks, Doesant mean they skimp on other things, They used to do that before, But recently The company have really sorted out their quality control. And i have owned SO much equipment over the years.

Keep on bassing
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Last edited by Asomodai at Sep 27, 2007,
I'm not particularily a bass player....but hey, that Warlock bass is orgasmic, good for you being with BCR!
As metal as they look, I quite like the BC Rich headstock. Not a fan of a bridge P-Bass pickup, but hey, different strokes for blah blah blah. I was always looking for a bass with an Explorer-type wing and they have a few that looked cool.

Oh, and may I ask what happened to your Yamaha endorsement?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
As metal as they look, I quite like the BC Rich headstock. Not a fan of a bridge P-Bass pickup, but hey, different strokes for blah blah blah. I was always looking for a bass with an Explorer-type wing and they have a few that looked cool.

Oh, and may I ask what happened to your Yamaha endorsement?

I was fired from the band i was in which was commercial indie rock and joined a singer female fronted heavy rock band, I informed Yamaha and they decided that the indie rock band was not commercial enough for their interests and didnt sound as good as my previous band. So they stopped sending me free stuff. So i stopped buying their basses.

I only really liked the John Myung 6 string i had at the time anyway and i was mostly using BC Rich basses at the time anyway, so no big loss.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Last edited by Asomodai at Sep 27, 2007,
I wouldn't mind one of them NT Zombie 5ers or a Mockingbird 5 in trans black myself. That Zombie is nice.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
I think the Buzzard is better looking for metal than the Warlock (or any other BC Rich bass, for that matter).

To each his own, I guess. That's still a nice looking bass you'll be getting, and if it sounds and feels good, more power to you.
Maybe I'm a heretic or something, but I love the look of that B.C. Rich. Do the pickups just sound like a normal P-Bass or is there a sexy bonus?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Captain Insano
I'm a bit curious about how the 2 P-pup configurations sounds.

I played a 2 P-pup Mockingbird in a music store. Massive growl, would be great for metal, although I like my bass growl to be a little warmer (not to say this bass sounded cold).
Quote by Captain Insano

I don't know if this makes much sense, but if you have an aural reference between a J-neck pickup and a P-neck pickup, it's the same at the bridge. Does that even make sense?

They have similar sounds, but the P-characteristic shines through.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I f*cking hate Warlocks, but damn that bass looks nice. This is making me consider finding a high end Mockingbird again...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I think I saw that picture of the Eagle on talkbass.com Lovely looking thing!
You spent your student loan on a bass?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by Captain Insano

Bloody aggressive! Check early Slayer to get an idea, I'm positive Tom Araya's BCR had the 2x P's setup. Or imagine assaulting the bass strings on a Bechstein grand with a sledgehammer. Somewhere about there, sonically speaking.
Interestingly, this setup's been used on one of the new Warwicks I mentioned before. Can't think of many other examples of it - only the early 80's Precision Elite II springs to mind.
I always like high-end BCR's - esp Warlocks - but never could convince myself to buy one. I don't play too much metal, although I do listen to a lot of it.

Quote by nightwind

I agree... don't you need to like... pay for school?
Quote by Captain Insano

When used a passive bass its got quite a bit of growl, When active, Depends how your EQ is set, If i have the booster switch off and the bass position on the Eagles electronics on, It gets a lovely geezer butler tone.

As soon as i switch the booster on it gives the bass a hell of alot of treble and less mids perfect for slap.

Quote by Scourge441
I played a 2 P-pup Mockingbird in a music store. Massive growl, would be great for metal, although I like my bass growl to be a little warmer (not to say this bass sounded cold).

I have to admit my Ironbird bass is more of a passive metal sound, The P sounds massive and the J gives it a nice kick. The eagle however has a great slap tone, I set it up with Optima Gold strings and its got a lovely bit of kick and a growly slap tone. Remember bernard edwards of Chic used BC Rich Eagles.

Quote by kaptink
I think I saw that picture of the Eagle on talkbass.com Lovely looking thing!

Yup i posted it there first.

Quote by nightwind

The first installment of it yes, And i didnt spend it all on a bass. Not nearly all of it. I already got into this conversation on Talkbass about spending Student loans on instruments, A) Its my decision, B) Its not against the law, C) Its not even against the Student loans company rules. I am pretty sure its just certain states in america where it can be illegal or against a banks TOS, In England its slightly different.

I am happy with my decision, I just cant wait for the Warlock to come through now
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
So Asomodai, how long until you predict your warlock comes in? I've been considering a higher end BC Rich, and I was actually thinking of saving up the cash for a USA model. If the NT series is any good, I might have to give it a try.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'll have to admit, I don't really like the shape of BC Rich basses in general, but they actually play so well it's unbelievable. If they would release a nice body shape with a pointy head, I'd definately consider investing in one.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
One day at GC I saw a beautiful Mockingbird, so I figured why not try it out? It was incredible, I don't blame you for switching. The sound, the feel, the way that bass played was incredible, I'd really like to buy a Mockingbird now, haha.

How does the Eagle sound? I've always wanted to play one but could never find one.

EDIT: I believe it was the Heritage Classic 'Bird, I had to check.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
what site did you find the bass on?
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)