So, I bought this cheapo Lotus bass from a guy for $50. Spent a few hours cleaning the body up, and rewired it so it worked again, and the nut was busted, so I took it to Guitar Center and let the guy there work on it.

The nut came out very poorly, it was a piece of crap plastic glued in nut, alot of the rosewood fretboard on the side of the nut closer to the tuning pegs chipped off, the guy glued them back on with Krazy glue. I know if I tried to remove the nut, I would have torn it up worse, so I was cool with it. We test fit a Graphite nut and a Tusq nut and the Tusq nut fit better, but it was still too low and it wasn't wide enough, so the guy used some black material to put under it, and some very thin (like, 1mm) white stuff behind it to make it fit better. Overall, I am not very happy with how he did it, the black material he cut too small so there is a tiny hole/cave under the nut on the side of the neck that faces the ground when you are playing, and the thin shim thing wasn't glued on level, so it sticks up higher on one end of the neck. Also, the nut is at an angle. I realise that pictures would be very helpful here, but the bass it back in Gainesville, and for another day I'm in Orlando. I'm toying with the idea of trying to reinstall the nut myself this weekend, if UG thinks that it needs it. Basically, if you had a nut installed, and then tilted it, by pushing on it from the tuning peg side of the nut, that's what it is like. It's not extreme, and it works alright, but I don't know if that's bad.

I was expecting the guy to take his time and do a really good job of it, but I really think I could have done a better job. I should have waited and taken it to the people I usually have work on my instruments in Gainesville....they did a superb job installing a nut on a beater strat I picked up last year.

The one good thing is, GC valued the bass at $100 two days after I got it for $50, and a bassist friend of mine who plays a beautiful Modulus said he wouldn't pay more than $250 for it, and would try to get it for $200....(I didn't tell him what I paid) And the guy at GC said he thinks Lotus was a company that copied companies in the states, and that he used to own a Lotus SG copy, and that it seemed like a good bass.

So please give me your input on nut angle, UG!
Quote by JahJahwarrior
So, I bought this cheapo Lotus bass from a guy for $50. Spent a few hours cleaning the body up, and rewired it so it worked again, and the nut was busted, so I took it to Guitar Center and let the guy there work on it.

The nut came out very poorly, it was a piece of crap plastic glued in nut, alot of the rosewood fretboard on the side of the nut closer to the tuning pegs chipped off, the guy glued them back on with Krazy glue. I know if I tried to remove the nut, I would have torn it up worse, so I was cool with it. We test fit a Graphite nut and a Tusq nut and the Tusq nut fit better, but it was still too low and it wasn't wide enough, so the guy used some black material to put under it, and some very thin (like, 1mm) white stuff behind it to make it fit better. Overall, I am not very happy with how he did it, the black material he cut too small so there is a tiny hole/cave under the nut on the side of the neck that faces the ground when you are playing, and the thin shim thing wasn't glued on level, so it sticks up higher on one end of the neck. Also, the nut is at an angle. I realise that pictures would be very helpful here, but the bass it back in Gainesville, and for another day I'm in Orlando. I'm toying with the idea of trying to reinstall the nut myself this weekend, if UG thinks that it needs it. Basically, if you had a nut installed, and then tilted it, by pushing on it from the tuning peg side of the nut, that's what it is like. It's not extreme, and it works alright, but I don't know if that's bad.

I was expecting the guy to take his time and do a really good job of it, but I really think I could have done a better job. I should have waited and taken it to the people I usually have work on my instruments in Gainesville....they did a superb job installing a nut on a beater strat I picked up last year.

The one good thing is, GC valued the bass at $100 two days after I got it for $50, and a bassist friend of mine who plays a beautiful Modulus said he wouldn't pay more than $250 for it, and would try to get it for $200....(I didn't tell him what I paid) And the guy at GC said he thinks Lotus was a company that copied companies in the states, and that he used to own a Lotus SG copy, and that it seemed like a good bass.

So please give me your input on nut angle, UG!

I would suggest not trusting the GC's value of instruments...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Try eBay.

Check out what similar instruments have been going for. That's a good indicator.

If they're going for less than $100... Sell it to GC and put the money towards a better one.

Main thing being... If it's a decent player, works for you, keep a hold of it and play. If it doesn't suit you, sell it, and get as much for it as you can.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I wasn't really asking about the value, it was just a comment. And I intend to keep it, unless someone offers me $200 for it

But can anyone tell me from past experience whether it's ok if the nut is angled a little bit? The strings don't touch the entire groove, they are only touching near the tuning pegs, then because of the angle, they don't quite touch the grooves when the nut ends at the first fret (not the fretwire, but the actual wooden place...you know what I mean)
If I remember, I'll get a picture of it tomorrow night when I'm back in the town it's at....gotta love college life.

It seems to play fine. The Modulus owning bassist friend of mine says he thinks the action is too high near the pickups, but it's ok by the nut. I think that means I need to adjust the truss rod, but I'll figure that out later.

I figured giving it a week to just sit would let me see if the nut is continuing to move or not. I might loosen the strings and try to do a better job of situating it. I think another shim added to the backside would keep it straight.