I found a rather nice Epiphone Les Paul for $400 but my friend suggested I save $800 to get an actual Gibson. Now, I don't get money easily. Should I wait or should I go for the epiphone? Is it worth it?
Get a Michael Kelly Patriot instead.

There are better guitars in both price ranges, in my opinion.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
depends on which ones you're looking at.

High End Epiphone > Low End Gibson.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
well, the epiphone is maybe more bang for your buck. but you get what you pay for.

in my opinion theyr not bad, but they feel cheapish compared to a gibson.

unless you get like an elitist or like custom.

but if you go used its alot better. way more guitar for the money. with gibson that is. i dunno about epi.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Depends on which Gibson

Believe it or not, Good Epi > Cheap Gibson

The les Paul studio is ok, but there's better for a slightly higher price. The Standard is awesome.
However, the thing about Gibson is that they're all overpriced. You can get more guitar for less, without the Gibson name on the headstock.

Michael Kelly Patriot ****ing rules. Also see Fernandes Ravelle and Washburn WI66.
I would wait if I was you. I just bout the Gibson Vintage for $799.00 and I can tell you after playing both the Epiphone can't even compare. I was in the same boat as you, but I waited and got the Gibson... worth the extra money.
well, go play both, and see if the gibson is rly worth that much of a wait, and think, are you ever rly going to need a guitar that costs that much? ive played a few epi's and man, some of those rly rock
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Id think that an $800 Gibson cant compare to a real Les Paul Standard. Epi and a pickup change would work. Or...Id suggest a Michael Kelley Patriot Custom. Good-looking guitars, quite similar to a Les Paul Custom, but with some different shaping. the white is quite nice, whith thick binding and gold hardware.
wait.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by bored_maniac33
well, go play both, and see if the gibson is rly worth that much of a wait, and think, are you ever rly going to need a guitar that costs that much? ive played a few epi's and man, some of those rly rock

O'Rly?
Quote by nic_2090
What ever happened to sticks and stones....?

Quote by Maet
The Niggers took them all to build their crappy huts in africa and Detroit...

Too much?
Hey id definately wait if I were you. I bought an epiphone Les Paul Classic a couple years ago, when I didnt really know that much about guitars, and i guess it probably is one of the best guitars in that price range, but ive been playing my friends gibson les paul standard all week long and that thing is absolutely amazing!! not just the tone but the feel of it! Another thing about the pickup change... I just put some new pickups in my les paul, and it sounds alot better than the stock ones, but its still not that great. I put in some GFS fatPAF pickups, and ive got coil tapping on them too which is pretty cool. And if you dont mind my wordiness, ive got one more thing to say. Ive been playin the gibson through my friends orange rockerverb 50, which really lets the natural tone of the guitar shine through. The amp doesnt color it that much. But when I played my epiphone through it, it was really weak and unimpressive. The tone and the feel on the Epiphone just arent there.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
NO! do not get a les paul for 800 just cause its gibson. the lower end gibsons suck. honestly though, you have to get out and play them. The necks will feel completely different, as the epiphone will be bound and the ****ty gibson won't be. an epi with a pickup change is a great guitar, but a lower end gibson with a pickup change is getting near the price of a real one, like a standard or classic. play them both, make your decision.

you easily change sound, but you cant change the feel
Sorry. I meant save up and extra $800, combined with the $400 I have, for a $1200 Les Paul.
but a $1200 les paul still isnt as good as a like $2000 them are the only les pauls in my eyes

i meant $2000 and over.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
Last edited by Flea413 at Sep 27, 2007,
the epiphone classic quilt top is my choice for les pauls. it comes in handy at $500, with decent sound and awesome Fender-like neck that i dig. most Les paul necks are way too chunky for my hands, (i'm guessing some of you too...) but the classic quilt tops had really slim neck. u can also get them without a pickguard too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Epi Elitist are known to sometimes be even better than Gibson Standards. IMO its worth checking out.
Really, if you don't mind the name on the headstock, Epiphone Elitists are great guitars. You will be much better off with that than a low end Gibson. So I say save up, and check out an elitist. If that isn't an option, A Les Paul Studio is pretty decent. Make sure you play it first to avoid any duds etc.
Be cool.
Quote by Yngwi3

QFT
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Yngwi3

haha more like
High end Epi >most Gibsons.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Check out Edwards,Burny,Orville,and Tokai.All under $800 better than Epi,and can rival any Gibson.
Quote by Galapogos
Check out Edwards,Burny,Orville,and Tokai.All under $800 better than Epi,and can rival any Gibson.

+1

If you're looking at guitars $1000, customizing your own Carvin is by far the best value.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get a Tokai. Is the closest you'll get to a good Gibson LP, but a lot cheaper with almost the same quality. And of course, they're a lot better than any Epis (which is easy to do).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Epis are pretty great. They are very, very similar to Gibsons, so a high end Epi=high end Gibson in quality, but a high end Epi=low end Gibson in price. I think that you can make that call.
I sell ponies.
Quote by avenged_7_fold
haha more like
High end Epi >most Gibsons.

LOLZ.

I love my Epi LP. Granted, I changed the pick ups to PRS Dragon II's... but if anything ever happened to it I would definately get another. I just can't pay the amount Gibson wants for a similar quality guitar.

I recommend you go to the guitar store and try out both. Blindfolded. Seriously. dont let the name on the headstock sway your opinion. Then, you will have your answer. I did this (well... not blindfolded) and came home with the Epi. I just liked the "feel" better. You may not... then it's worth droppin the dime on the Gibson. And remember, pick ups can always be changed. I had Classic 57's in my Epi for a few years before "upgrading" to PRS Dragon II's.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
My Epiphone Custom is a very nice guitar, I absolutely love it. And considering the quality of Gibson's lately, i'd stick with an Epiphone.
Also, an epi gives you that extra bit of room if you wanna upgrade things yourself afterwards. Myself, I brought my LP to university after figuring it's not worth bringing my Gibson for the 'OMG BURGLARZZZ' factor, & I just love it all over again
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Japanese Tokai? Edwards, Greco, Burny will match a Gibson Les Paul standard, or in many cases, surpass it for far less money.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

nothing beats a Gibson in my eyes. i love the feel the sound everything about them. but that's just me.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
Quote by Flea413
nothing beats a Gibson in my eyes. i love the feel the sound everything about them. but that's just me.

And me!

I just bought a 1968 Les Paul Custom Authentic...
http://www.gibson.com/products/custom/authentics/68custom.html

I love all my Gibson's but that one was made for me, although I use my Standards more particularly my Goldtop with P90's they rock.

I would save up more as well just so you can get more options, there is no need to rush a buy that’s the worst thing you can do.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Just to give another point to avoid Epis:
Yesterday I had to take my friends guitar from the shop (he had left it 2 weeks ago for a complete set up) and could compare it to my Epi Les Paul Custom (it's a limited edition, actually a bit better than the standard customs). His is an Ibanez GAX (the lowest end guitar Ibanez has), and believe me... I almost crashed my guitar on the floor: his crappy Ibanez that costed $200 is better than my $750 Epi. IT'S TRUE. Maybe the LP looks cooler, but on all other aspects, it falls terribly.

I just hope I can get rid of that piece of s**t soon.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I'd get an Epi, if you were to lay both blindfolded you'd never be able to figure which one is which, Epiphone is actually a quite good company, and you're saving a lot of money by going with an Epi. But if I were you I'd get a PRS SE or something that retail for around $600 to $800. I talked to musician once who said that the PRS SE guitars were better than 9 out of 10 Gibson guitars he's tried.
Go with a used Epiphone Elitist, or the Japanese made Epiphone Elitist.

Also I think Epiphones are great guitars for the price, I own a standard and really like it. Of course they're not GIbsons but you'll save a lot of money and it's great for the price. Especially with the Elitist line. You can change out the pickups and upgrade some parts and through a good amp, you probably won't notice much.

Just my two cents, they're all good though.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows