Page 1 of 3
This is the much awaited 1st UG jam, a chance to hear other forum members' soloing, and to contribute some of your own!

In brief, if you want to take part you download the backing track, record your solo, then send your solo to the organiser. They will then compile all the solos to play in turn over the looped backing track, the result being a huge track showcasing many members take on the same track, known as a jam

If you'd like to take part, simply post in this thread so you can be added to the list of participants, then follow the steps below.

1) Download the backing track from http://ug-jams.dmusic.com/. It's called Jam Track 1, a II-V-I by edg, as it's a II-V-I progression recorded by edg

2) Record your solo over the track.

3) Email an mp3 file containing your solo mixed down with the backing track to ug-jams@hotmail.co.uk. Please include your username in the email so you can be given credit, or if you're shy say that you'd prefer not to be named on the list of participants.

4) Wait until the finished track is posted at http://ug-jams.dmusic.com/, then listen and enjoy

The deadline is Sunday 7th October, so get recording!

The key is Bb

Have fun!
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by marmoseti at Sep 30, 2007,
What key is it in?

And I'll do this at the weekend.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Awesome! I really hope this works out. I dont know whether or not I will send one in, see how things go, but ya, good to see this in the works.

Btw, someone should sticky this.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Sep 27, 2007,
Are we supposed to play over the entirety of the backing track, or as long as we desire and somebody will mix it in?
Does it have to be only solo or can we add backing lines onto what we play?
Founder of Jaco society

I'll try to get this done during the weekend.
And I also want to know whether we're allowed to use multiple tracks.
I'm confused, so we just record our playing, and send in ONLY our playing with no backing under it? That's good, because I would be awful trying to sync them up
^ yeah this is whats confusing me (i would have problems taking JUST a solo and syncing it up to a backing track as well) can i send in a unmixed copy in acid format so that you recieve it sync'ed up properly and then just cut and paste it as needed?
I'll probably write and record one this weekend. I'm drawing blanks though. All I can think of in my head is ripping off a bunch of licks from Tender Surrender
Quote by edg
Doh! I'm pretty sure it's in C : Dm7 - G7(9) - Cmaj7.
It's been a while so I don't remember exactly. 99% sure.

I tried playing the progression with the recording and it didnt sound right. I think the progression actually goes Cm7-F7-Bbmaj7
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
excellent idea!

but how will you decide the timing if we dont supply the solo over the original track?

i guess just try to start recording at 0:00 best we can :-)

have we confirmed the key of Bb yet? or is this part of the challenge??? (i hope not!)
I guess the idea is, just to record a solo over the backing, then delete the backing mix down your solo and send that in? And yeh i'll do it
So it in in the key of Bb Major? The key is kinda essential......

And why do we have to remove the backing? Won't it sound **** if there is no backing, jsut a ton of guitars soloing to nothing?!
Last edited by Megatallica at Sep 28, 2007,
Ok the idea of not including the backing track seems to be causing problems, so I've changed the original post to remove it. It was only there to make sure the levels between solos weren't vastly different, but I suppose I can trust you guys to balance your tracks sensibly

So now you can just record your solo, and submit it mixed down with the backing track.

edit: In response to other questions, yes do solo over the whole track. It'll be a long final track, but it gives people time to develop their ideas. The deadline will be set after we have some more participants, and have ironed out any final details Only one solo track please, not because it's a competition (it's not ), but because having a horn section, piano and maracas come in suddenly will sound a little odd, and break up the flow of the jam
Quote by VR2005

Last edited by marmoseti at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by Megatallica
So it in in the key of Bb Major? The key is kinda essential......

And why do we have to remove the backing? Won't it sound **** if there is no backing, jsut a ton of guitars soloing to nothing?!

Im 100% sure its in Bb
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by marmoseti
Only one solo track please, not because it's a competition (it's not ), but because having a horn section, piano and maracas come in suddenly will sound a little odd, and break up the flow of the jam

Well being a bassist I was thinking bass line and solo, would that be ok?
Founder of Jaco society

is it too late to do this? i'm downloading the backing tracks now.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by Megatallica
Yes actually, I'll second that. Everyone, it's in Bb Major

I don't want to confuse the issue, but I doubt I recorded it in Bb. I'm almost sure
it was C. I'd have to double check the original and I'm not where I can do that ATM.

A couple of possibilities: some players (like Windows Media) seem to play some
streaming stuff slow at the beginning. Or, I might not have tuned up before I made
that recording.

I'll DL what's on dmusic and see if I can figure it out....
Audacity, get a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor and plug straight into your line in. Running through a pedal improves the sound in my experiences. Or if you have a mic plug that in to your pc and record through audacity.
Founder of Jaco society

I'm coming up with some pretty nice melodic leads just improvising. Maybe I'll record mine now just because I am in the mood
Quote by sinan90
Audacity, get a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor and plug straight into your line in.

Uhh... I suggest not to do that as it will cause impedance problems. Recording with a mic is the way to go, but if you want to use the line-in then get some sort of audio interface or DI-box between the sound card and the guitar.
Any recommended scales? Apart from the obvious ones: pentatonics, major/minors, etc.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Last edited by sTx at Sep 29, 2007,
I'm just playing in Bb Major, throwing in occasional accidentals and landing on strong notes that follow the chord changes.
Quote by CowboyUp
I'm just playing in Bb Major, throwing in occasional accidentals and landing on strong notes that follow the chord changes.

Yep. You can check out my original solo on my dmusic site. It's nearly
all Bb major. I throw in an occaisonal b3 leading tone to give it bluesier
sound. Maybe some G, D minor pent (Those are from Bb anyway).
Don't end without me, bro!

I'm downloading, I'll have mine in by monday latest.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Great, the deadline will be next Sunday evening (Sunday 7th October).

Sinan, you're welcome to do a bass solo, but it is still one track only. Sorry to be awkward, but it's not fair to have different rules for different people. You could do a bass solo followed by a guitar solo if you'd like.

edit: edg and Cowboyup I have your solos, very nice indeed
Quote by VR2005

Last edited by marmoseti at Sep 30, 2007,
Sorry for the shitness of mine

it was...
-jammed over twice, recorded jam 3 and kept it
-played on a cleaner tone than I normally use, so most notes didn't sound dynamically the way I wanted them to
-recorded on the shitty mic I use when I play Team Fortress
It's not bad at all, don't knock yourself. Some bits of the solo are a bit quiet though. Would you like me to compress it?
Quote by VR2005

Quote by marmoseti
It's not bad at all, don't knock yourself. Some bits of the solo are a bit quiet though. Would you like me to compress it?

Sure. The quietness was pretty funny, because I tried throwing in a few of my favorite little pentatonic runs, but they were really quiet, and I was making all these funny faces trying to make them louder
Would you prefer the solo on it's own as you had originally? I'm going to stick it on my profile with backing either way.
Founder of Jaco society

With backing is great thanks, I think it would be too hard to synchronize actually
Quote by VR2005

Page 1 of 3