I have £200-250 to spend on recording hardware and i have no experience what so ever so can someone recommend me some super fantasmic recording equipment for that price range please?

What i want is something quite vintage sounding (i know that comes at a price) for an electric guitar and maybe vocals.

I think i'm going for the shure sm7 microphone to get me started unless anyone has any better options.

and just to clarify i also need a preamp a mixer and then interface?

$504 USD

you wont get any "super fantasmic" recording equipment for that price but you can get some good gear. Does your desktop computer have a firewire port and good specs?

If so, go with a Shure SM57 vocal mic with pop filter for vocals

And this mackie firewire interface:

Be sure to get some XLR cable for the mic and any other cables needed to hook into the interface.

That interface and most have a built in preamp..the preamp on this mackie is good quality as well.
ok what about the m-audio fast track interface, is that good? or is the pro a better option?

also do i need a mixer?

oh and i have a good pc, 1gb ram usb and firewire slots etc. should do the job

thanks for your help!
Last edited by 3nemy at Sep 27, 2007,
with an interface like the mackie or m-audio units there's usually just 2 inputs you can record with at a time...now if you have a drum set you could hook the output of an unpowered mixer to the input of the interface to give you more inputs but you need to keep an ear on the mix as you cant adjust the separate inputs after they have been fed though the mixer and into the interface making it one track.

If you are only recording vocals and guitar you'll be fine with that mackie and it's two inputs. that is more than enough inputs for someone recording alone. Mixers are more for live settings where the techs need to take all the audio and feed it to one source *(like the PA setup). This is not what you want to do in audio recording...your goal here is to keep each part on it's own track so you can adjust their levels separately later in editing if needed.

I highly suggest the Mackie over the m-audio fast track as the Mackie is much higher quality...

for software you could try Cubase or Sonar
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 27, 2007,
ok thanks a lot for your help, i can't seem to find that particular interface in the uk though.

And also, if i was to get a mixer, would i need an interface with the same amount of input as the mixer to keep it all on a seperate track? and are mixers used in guitar/vocal recording?

Most smaller mixers have 2 outputs...a main out and a sub out.

If you wanted to keep everything separate you would need a mixer with the same amount of outs (or, buses) as interface inputs.

But if you are only recording by yourself and had an interface like the Fast track then you would still be fine because you could record the guitar part first and play that back while recording the vocals next. That is whats called "multi-tracking" or "layering" and it's what most studios do these days if they dont have enough inputs for all the mics.

Overall i would say skip the mixer and just go to a shure SM57 mic to plug into the mixer.

Be aware that you will need a pop filter for the SM57 mic but it can be used for a lot of things in the studio.
If you are looking to do just vocals with the mic then the SM58 has a built in pop filter and will work out better for vocals only.

I suggest getting both the SM57 and SM58 mics.
ok thanks a lot for your help, what about if i wanted to record drums and bass as well then what would i have to do record them seperate?