I've narrowed it down to these two the Vox v847 or the dunlop crybaby classic
which in your opinion is better

also if you have any suggestions under 120 i'll listen
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
Vox V847, by far. If you want to do any mods, though (please let me take this time to advertise your friendly neighborhood Wah Modding Thread, located just down the street in GB&C. We can help you with any mods, and they're quite easy, VERY inexpensive- around ten bucks will get you an excellent wah- and very fun and worth it!), the Dunlop is best. It's easier to get the board out and muck about with it than the new V847s.
a lot of chili peppers, hendrix, classic rock, funk rock, hard rock and more
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
I'd say Vox then. I don't really recommend the "A" version, it's quite lacking compared the old version.

+1 to what cokeisbetter said, just make sure you go for the Original Crybaby and not the Classic if you'll be modding.
whats the difference between the vox and the vox a? i heard the a was better tho.

EDIT: also, what kind of mods can you do?
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
if u say absolutely no to modding, Vox V847A would be great. bad part of that is that it's unmoddable. older voxes are good too, but they come in kinda expensive. Dunlop originals are cheap, and very moddable.

mods are:
vocal mod
mid boost
gain boost
inductor change
wah pot change
true bypass
sweep cap change
LED

yea. that kinda stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The A version has an input buffer (like the Crybabies do), a 9v battery jack, a new inductor, and a freakin' PC mount pot. I doubt you care about the pot, but it's annoying to me. I like my old V847.

As for mods- there's all kinds of mods. You can make it more vocal, increase the mids, increase bass, increase volume, change the sweep range, put in a new pot to make the sweep smoother, change transistors, change it to true bypass (very highly recommended for a first mod!), turn it into a volume pedal, add an output buffer so you can use it with a Fuzz-Face type fuzz, or any other low input impedance distortion effect, and a bunch more stuff. Come to the Wah Modding Thread if you're interested, we can help you out.

EDIT: Dang EC! Why do you type faster than me!
I'd go with the Dunlop. It's got a bit of a funkier sound.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Well they added an input buffer now to keep some the tone sucking at bay, apparently it still sucks some though. Has a different inductor, different pot (most V847's I seen had the hot potz in them, the a version looks a cheapy plain jane pot, not to mention its pc mounted ), the entire board is redesigned as well.

I tried the A version real quick a few days ago at GC (gonna buy a Tele soon ) the sweep is noticeably shorter than the older version and to my ears it sound thinner.

Edit: I got beat, damn
Behringer Hellbabe, best bang for your buck. it competes quite easily with the Crybaby Classic, and the Behringer is only $35.
add an output buffer so you can use it with a Fuzz-Face type fuzz, or any other low input impedance distortion effect

Is that like a DS-1? Because I can't make them sound good together in ANY order.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Is that like a DS-1? Because I can't make them sound good together in ANY order.

Nah, I think the DS-1 has a fairly high input impedance, so that's probably not the problem with it.
^^lol no. DS-1 isn't a fuzz. it shouldn't be even classified as a fuzz. it's a crap box.

btw TS, i see u narrowed down to vox and a dunlop classic crybaby. now classic is different. it should be really called "crap-ssic". i had one, i hated it, took out the inductor, and bought a dunlop and modded the crap out of it and installed the inductor.

and that original is working GREAT.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I thought that the 847a was supposed to be true-bypass?
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
^it has a decent buffer. not true-bypass, but pretty good bypass. compared to crybaby original's stock bypass, Boss ds1 bypass, Ibanez ts9 bypass and stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^read the thread. we're pretty much done with the first discussion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
bit of a noob but what exactly do these things mean / do to your tone? Can you explain what:
LED, sweep cap change, inductor change, transistors, wah pot change, and gain boost do? or direct me somewhere else to answer these?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
I have the 535Q. nad it's not bad at all. However, I recently played the classic (??95gc??) and it sounded WAY more rounded... and like a wah should. I don't know what I've been doing wrong with mine, but it doens't sound like the classic.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
^yup.

check out my crybaby in my profile. i got like two pictures up i think. it's a beast. i spent like $80 total on it. got a used crybaby for $50, $30ish modding it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
what are some of the first mods that should be made?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

removing the input buffer, TB, vocal mod, mid boost.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^o yea. haha i forgot about my old pot already ahhaha. it seems like my fulltone pot came stock.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
what are some of the first mods that should be made?

im not trying to discourage the modding or anything (if anything im encouraging it :P: ) but if your not confident with a soldering iron think twice about modding. however, im sure the guys at the wah modding thread will help you out. in the end, its really worth it
just to be safe, i say your buy 2 (or 3...)

v847a - decent stock pedal. improved buffer, sucks a TAD of treble. no modding.

v847 - classic, moddable. bad treble suckage stock though.

crybaby - mod mod mod!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
what does a new pot mean?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

It's one of these. This is what rotates when you rock the pedal back and forth

Different tapers and values give a different tone and feel. Us vintage freaks like the ICAR tapered pots
oo ok thanks. i still dont understand what inductors and transistors will do / change.
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell