I recently bought my fourth guitar, an Ibanez JetKing II . I play rythem guitar for my band, and my new JetKing lets my change my tone so much. However I need to get into a bigger amp, with the word of shows coming soon. I'm 15, so I don't have alot of cash . Right now I own a Crate gx-120 115w soild state amp(1x12). I know I need a half stack eventully, and want a tube head. We play Progressive/ Experimental/ Indie.(like The Fall of Troy, Pelican, Red Sparows, Mouth Movements). I know I want a Avatar 4x12 cab, but I just dont know which head to buy. Ive looked at Krank, Orange, and ENGL. but there all so expencive for a nice tube head. Do you have any suggestions.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
The cheapest and most effective way to go would be a 30 watt combo and some good analog stomp boxes. You'd be surprised how loud it can be, probably as loud as most 100 watt solid state amps. Nothing wrong with stacks, but I prefer a combo for all but very large venues, and then I would probably mic. The cheapest decent sounding 100 watt head is the Peavey Windsor, but it has virtually no cleans.
Probably most of the shows I will be playing at this point will be pretty small(local bars scenes.). I just need to be louder than our drummer. thats my main point. I know that our practice amps(Roland cube 30 and a Line 6 spider, yeah i know.haha), they just dont cut it. And im looking for better sound quality, hints tube. I just guess I want power, not nessisarly volume. I think combos are great too. Just I cant afford to keep buying new equitment, cause my old is not loud/powerful enough.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
I have the pedals already, Im using a metal muff, Boss DD-20, Whammy, Holy grail. sorry for the double post.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
A 30 watt tube combo will easily be louder than a drummer. For local bar gigs its ideal. Probably some decent deals on good old Ebay.
I'll check it out, our lead guitarist and I both are looking for good gig amps. This sounds like it will do the trick maybe.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
i don't know alot about combo amps
but i do have a deluxe reverb that i absolutly love
i got it on the bay for like 600
and if you are playing a gig unmiced and trying to beat a drummer
it might not have enough clean headroom
so i don't know if that is important to you.
but maybe check it out.
Red Sparrowes=the ****. So, good luck with your amp cause we need more music like that. Also if I may say so, theres some good tube heads to be found for cheap, you just have to look around. But a combo can suffice if it has to.