I'm defretting my bass this weekend and I'm just wondering if you need a special kind of strings for a fretless. If you do, are they easy to find in music stores?
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
They're called flatwounds. The ones you probably have (roundwounds) will destroy your fretboard and won't get the same kind of "mwah" as flatwounds. you should be able to find them in any music store, although some smaller ones might not carry them. call around.
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
Alright cool, thanks a lot man.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Payne's music has some (D'Addario Chromes) but they've very high prices. I always think you should grab strings on eBay - you can get some great deals.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'd recommend using flatwounds, but they're by no means required. Roundwounds will do fine with your fretboard if you epoxy it
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by thefitz
Payne's music has some (D'Addario Chromes) but they've very high prices. I always think you should grab strings on eBay - you can get some great deals.

You can get the D'Addario's on Musicansfriend for under $30. I would also recommend Rotosounds as well.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Tuttut. Not epoxy, Polyurethane.

Now, does this apply to just the fingerboard or the back of the neck as well?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by VaporTrails67
look interesting. I'm not sure how they are though...

They're VERY thumpy. No sustain, no treble, all attack. Go to the Rotosound site to hear samples.

As far as the fingerboard, Herg, just coat the fingerboard itself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
They're VERY thumpy. No sustain, no treble, all attack. Go to the Rotosound site to hear samples.

As far as the fingerboard, Herg, just coat the fingerboard itself.

So Fitz, I've used the Rotosound Jazz 77s on my fretless. Any other recommendations for flatwounds?
You also get groundowounds aka halfwounds if you don't want to coat your fretboard but still want some of the roundwound sound.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Tuttut. Not epoxy, Polyurethane.

Jaco used marine epoxy... LOL.
Quote by anarkee
So Fitz, I've used the Rotosound Jazz 77s on my fretless. Any other recommendations for flatwounds?

See, I've always thought flatwounds were even more complicated than roundwounds. If you want a bright sound, you get roundwounds. People want depth, they get flats. However, what do you want out of your flatwounds?

Some people want a thumpy-ass dub sound. Some people want as bright a sound as possible on a flat string. Some people want a nice, smooth sound.

First off, if I were you, I would steer clear of nylon flatwounds. They'd be a waste on an active pickup axe such as yours (personally, I think all flats are, but nylons especially). In my opinion, nylons need frets and picks to be effective. The string tension is nill too, and that'll throw your intonation off something fierce.

I've never tried Chromes. I mentioned them because the TS and I live in the same city and there's only 1 music store here (but the best luthier I've ever been to up the street).

Avoid Fender flats. They're cheap and feel cheap. I also find their gauges to be mixed and their windings loose - they don't feel flat at all.

Rotosounds are the brightest flatwounds available (or at least to my knowledge). They're the only strings made of monel, and in my books should be brighter than chrome. However, I personally wouldn't use them: if I wanted brightness, I'd use my PSD's.

Dean Markleys have a nice solid feel. They're 'greasy' and have a nice pang. I used them on my '51 for The Barbecue Song. They're a brighter flatwound as well. Gauges slightly unbalanced, too. They're very smooth, unlike Fenders, where you can feel the windings.

But, what do I overall recommend? GHS. I like them for reasons others may not. Yeah, the purple silk ends are a bit much, but they're great strings. Tonally, they're a very 'neutral' sounding string. They're not bright, and they're not overly dark. They're right in the middle and that's what I think is ideal for flatwounds. They're smooth like the Deans, but are not 'greasy'. They have that grippy quality that stainless steel strings have that I personally love. They felt the most like an upright bass string than any other string I've tried. They may be a bit bland, but that's what I like about them. Again, they're stainless like the Fenders and Deans, but unlike them, they don't have that 'greasy' feel.

And, in my opinion, your flatwound gauge should be one gauge under your roundwound gauge. I've heard flatwounds actually have less tension, but to me, they feel like more tension.

Oh, and flatwounds are a thousand times harder on your fingers than any roundwound.

Anyway, that's all I know about flats.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
How often do you guys change your flatwounds? It's harder for me to tell how much the tone has changed (partially cause I don't play my fretless very often) but also because there's no brightness that wears off like with roundwounds. I assumed they last a lot longer than roundwounds, is this true? It gets pretty pricey replacing strings that cost about twice as much.

I also had a question about using flatwounds with my acoustic (fretted) bass guitar, I get so much fret noise and click that it drives me crazy, so I thought flat wounds might help, but I know that I'll get pretty much no projection out of it when it's unplugged, has anyone tried this? If so, is your acoustic audible at all?
My acoustic was never audible in the first place. And I've yet to change my flatwounds. If I wanted that fresh string sound, I'd get rounds.
Quote by Cody_Grey102