Well, after a huge bash of posts about how much I shouldn't get an Epiphone G-400 or LP I decided to go back to step one. I guess I could but up my budget to 400$ but no higher. I have no interest in looking used. I've looked time and time again, they just don't have a selection in my town. I wont look on ebay either. Musicians Friend would be what I'd prefer.

I play Classic Rock, Rock, a little country. Nothing heavier then AC/DC or Nirvana. I'm looking for a good guitar, pretty light, good looks. It will be played threw the Palomino V6 that is already ordered. I want the guitar to have good cleans, and hopefully a Humbucker or all HB. Thanks in advance.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Um... I see no reason why you shouldn't get one or the other. Both are great guitars for the money. I read your last thread, and it was pretty easy to see who was talking out their asses
Well I was pretty set on the Epi SG, now I'm just worried about the neck being big. Oh and I was looking at the HSS Strats, I'm considering one as well. I've also just found the Limited Edition 1966 G-400, with a slim-taper neck. Which people say is thin like said in the review.

To above, would an Ibanez acutely be good for anything I want?

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Um... I see no reason why you shouldn't get one or the other. Both are great guitars for the money. I read your last thread, and it was pretty easy to see who was talking out their asses

+1

the necks are fine for what you wanna play. the thickness isn't nearly as much of a pain as the heel of the neck on the lp...sg has the double cutaway so it shouldn't be any trouble unless you wanna like sweep and stuff...
Quote by elekguit
Well I was pretty set on the Epi SG, now I'm just worried about the neck being big. Oh and I was looking at the HSS Strats, I'm considering one as well. I've also just found the Limited Edition 1966 G-400, with a slim-taper neck. Which people say is thin like said in the review.

As far as I know, a Gibson/Epiphone slim taper neck is comparable to Fender necks and anything similar. You won't be getting anything like an Ibanez neck or something thin as that. Also, I would be more worried about the finish on the back of the necks. It could really slow you down if the neck is painted. I have an Epiphone with an painted neck, and it feels like a tortoise compared to my Ibanez. You have to make decisions for yourself man. UG doesn't make the final decision, you do. So if you like the Epiphone, go for the Epiphone. Most of the people that posted in your last thread were talking gibberish.
Be cool.
^I will try to ignore that post... I'm not that much of a n00b...

Well I'm very glad this thread is helping. I'm not much of a fast player anyways, and with the way I play guitar... the neck finish will come off quickly. I love the feel of Fender necks, so I think the size is great. I'm reading reviews on the '66 G-400 and I hear its almost as good as a standard Gibson. Anyone else have experience with one? If you guys like it, I will go try it somehow.

Oh ****, I just noticed that the '66 G-400 can't be shipped to Canada threw MF. Anyone else have any suggestions.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Last edited by elekguit at Sep 27, 2007,
A Jackson for Classic Rock? Um, why do I feel like that just doesn't fit...

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
^Again, I really have a feeling that those guitars wont be good for my stile of music.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I was thinking of just the standard as well. I don't have a problem with single coils, I just always wanted a Humbucker in the guitar. I just remembered that the single coils are still very versatile. What would be better for Classic Rock though? Strat or Tele.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
^Haha, alright thanks. My only issue with the strat is that it looks so damn boring. With so many cheap copies on the market the looks just bore you to death.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
SG all the way dude. It'll handle what you play pretty decently.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
g-400's are terrible. and to be a complete hypocrit, who gives a **** what UG'ers think? if you like the way a g-400 feels (which i don't) get it. if you dont like the sound change the pups. no one on here can tell you if you will like either guitar, or any guitar for that matter. Guitar decisions should be 99% feel. sound can always be changed later (for the most part). play all the guitars you can find, and choose the one that feels best
I like to get a good idea of what people think in general for electronics, and just overall playability before I start searching to try. But you are right about one think... I really don't care much about what you think about the G-400. I haven't exactly heard any valid points why its so terrible.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
well heres my valid opinion on them:
Les Paul: (what i have)
-Standard's have nice glossy neck, also bound (a plus for me)
-Electronics are decent, i would like a pickup change
-I replaced the bridge with a roller bridge from guitarfetish, best $20 i ever spent
-stays in tune well, easy to set up a les paul style guitar by yourself (turn two screws to adjust action, excluding the trussrod)
-rhythm pickup is nice and bassy, possibly too much. treble pup is nice and bright, with a treble booster almost sounds straty. i rarely use both at once
-HEAVY not as heavy as a gibson, but still
-strongly suggest straplocks
-weight distrubution is good
-good sustain, nice sound

G400 (played a few times)
-terrible weight distribution (fell off of my leg, good thing i caught it)
-very neck heavy
-electronics same as les paul
-if you care, the finish isn't as stunning
-i thought it sounded kinda thin. a pickup change could probably solve that
-glossy, bound neck on the one i played, felt alright, thinner than les paul

thats about all i can think of. I really liked the epiphone les paul standard if you couldn't tell. the g-400 just felt cheap to me, and didn't feel right. Suprisingly, i love the gibson sg standard, and then dislike the '61 reissue almost as much as the g-400. again, its really preference. hope that helped a little bit, and for either one get straplocks. you'll thank yourself. trust me, i had some close calls before my straplocks came
Quote by elekguit
I like to get a good idea of what people think in general for electronics, and just overall playability before I start searching to try. But you are right about one think... I really don't care much about what you think about the G-400. I haven't exactly heard any valid points why its so terrible.

Lol, because its not. I don't know whats wrong with the boards today. People generally give this guitar good praise and it is usually recommended as a beginner/intermediate guitar. I have had the chance to play one and I was impressed with it. Good sound, good playability, and good price/features. (mahogany body, grover tuners, set neck, etc.) Its like what, a couple hundred bucks. Of course its not going to be perfect. s.r.v. is judging it like its supposed to be twice the guitar it really is. Not to mention you have an obvious bias towards Les Pauls. I don't know how it can fall off your leg. You obviously weren't sitting properly then. Because guitars just don''t fall off of your leg. I don't care how heavy or what body style it is. If anything, I have heard SG's are more comfortable than Les Pauls. I have played both, and I can say because of the thin, light body of the SG, it is more comfortable. The electronics can be switched out, but for what they are, they most definitely get the job done. I say if you like it, go for it man.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Sep 27, 2007,
Thanks for that. Well I was just wondering, what do you know about Agile guitars? They look pretty good to me, but I wont really have the choice to try one.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
well i put it on my leg like it should be, when i let go of it to fiddle with amp settings, the neck was so heavy it slid off of my leg towards the neck. even playing i could feel the heaviness of the neck dragging my hand down. no im not weak if you were wondering, its just a really heavy neck for a guitar
Quote by elekguit
Thanks for that. Well I was just wondering, what do you know about Agile guitars? They look pretty good to me, but I wont really have the choice to try one.

I've heard mostly good things in general about their products.. But most of the good buzz has been around their AL series of guitars. Mainly the AL-2800 series and up. It is a LP body shape, and these guitars are most of the time recommended over Epiphones because of the price, features, quality etc. They are available only through one website that I know of, which would be RondoMusic.
Be cool.
Well I'm looking at one now. The AL-3000. It looks great. Where is the official Agile Thread? Maybe it could give me more info. Thanks.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by s.r.v.
well i put it on my leg like it should be, when i let go of it to fiddle with amp settings, the neck was so heavy it slid off of my leg towards the neck. even playing i could feel the heaviness of the neck dragging my hand down. no im not weak if you were wondering, its just a really heavy neck for a guitar

Either you are weak, or have some poor playing habits when it comes to posture. Because I've never heard something like that.
Be cool.
OK

I reckon SG's are the way to go, a "thick neck" doesnt mean anything, in fact i think its way easier playing on it because it is not a bolt on neck, which is harder to play up in the 20fret area.. SO yeah that means i wouldn't suggest an ibanez yet.
I think with a LP or a SG, you should try to avoid the really glossy finishes because its harder on your arm to slide up and down if its a bit dirty. But overall LP standard or G400 vintage or goth..

With the G400 you may want to change the electronics
Quote by thedude051
Lol, because its not. I don't know whats wrong with the boards today. People generally give this guitar good praise and it is usually recommended as a beginner/intermediate guitar..

That's always what I've seen said about it, too.

If anybody tells you not to buy a certain guitar because the neck is too big or thin or whatever, ignore them. If anybody says a certain guitar has a fast or slow neck, ignore them. Different people like different neck sizes/feels and "fast/slow" necks don't exist as an objective trait but as a subjective perception - all depends on the person. I personally hate wafer-thin Ibanez/Jackson necks people seem to love so much and my hands aren't big either. Go play on it and then decide; no one can tell you how a guitar will feel to you.

As for the G-4000, I haven't personally played one, but with most Epiphones I'd change the electronics at some point; Epiphone can have this tendency to have pickups short out, etc. They're not bad unless you're a gigging musician, but as an upgrade it should definitely be on your list. I'd eventually change the pickups, too, as they're just kinda lackluster.
Last edited by Wanderer259 at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by thedude051
Either you are weak, or have some poor playing habits when it comes to posture. Because I've never heard something like that.

im not going to argue about htis, im only going to say that it is a really neck heavy guitar that makes it uncomfortable to play.
TRY BEFORE YOU F*CKING BUY, my friend. who the hell cares what some random UG'er says. theres more than one opinion to everything.
Quote by elekguit
^Again, I really have a feeling that those guitars [gryphons] wont be good for my stile of music.

...not really, it's versatility(sp?) is huge. it even has coil taps for a more single coil sound.
Quote by elekguit
^Haha, alright thanks. My only issue with the strat is that it looks so damn boring. With so many cheap copies on the market the looks just bore you to death.

Just set aside $30 for a new pickgaurd, knobs, and pickup covers if that's the case!

But, Tele or Strat? Ooooooooh that's a hard choice, one I wouldn't want to make. Drive for 2 hours to try them if you have to. If you get one without trying the other, you'll always be regretting the love you may have lost.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I second the Schecter Gryphon. In all honesty, the type of guitar isn't really gonna affect your tone. You're looking for a guitar with humbuckings, and the Schecter has it. You'll be able to do classic rock music with it finely. Whatever you do, stay away from guitars that are made of basswood or agathis.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.