when i play i my shoulder starts to hurt
and it causes me to play slower and it effects my playing.
its kinda like it freezes but not really...

i really need help
i dont want it!!!!
what can i do to get rid of it
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
start doing pushups?---eat bananas? (the potassium might help)-- but im guessing your holding the guitar wrong, and maybe you should ask someone who knows how to play how to hold it properly so it doesn't hurt your shoulder.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
rest your wrist on the body and the outer edge of your palm on the bridge. this will make it so you're not straining your shoulder to hold your hand up over the strings.
actually its only been happening lately as in the last month or so.
and i didnt change the way i hold my guitar. well i dont think so...
ok. im PRETTY sure i didnt...

i dont see how potassium would help, but ok?...
ill try it anyway
lol

im desperate
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I know how you feel. Something happened to mine a few years back that hurt my left shoulder and now it pops and cracks a lot. I cant play standing for long periods of time before it starts to tense up and hurt. Eating bananas for potassium may help a bit but try not to strain yourself to much if your problem is anything similar to mine. Trying to strengthen it with too much physical strain may hurt you even more.
it hurts my picking arm, my right.
and its not like i play for long periods of time playing insane riffs
i play 5-10 minutes and i feel it
i rest it for a few seconds then i play again then it happens again
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by mikeman
rest your wrist on the body and the outer edge of your palm on the bridge. this will make it so you're not straining your shoulder to hold your hand up over the strings.

i do rest my hand in the indentation on my guitar
thats how i hold my guitar...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
What type of guitar is it...I used to own a hagstrom which was made of mahagony I think and it was a heavy electric guitar weight wise...kind of bothered my shoulder so i bought a padded guitar strap.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
raise ur guitar strap.
play in moderation until u're less sore.
when playing while sitting dont hunch over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
hmm....you could just try and endure it.

i used to get this EXTREMELY irritating tensing feeling in my thumb on my picking hand which would lead to me playing weak alot and dropping the pick ALOT.

i just endured it and now im fine.
maybe its the same?
it guess it must've hurt without me feeling ow or anything, because when i put pain relieving cream on it, it felt alot better.
Is it from the guitar resting on your shoulder or pain from playing?

If its the guitar, I recommend raising your strap, getting a wider one (3" neoprene or padded leather), and work out more to increase your shoulder strength.

If it's because of playing, do all of the above suggested things, then check up on technique (where to rest your palm, how much you're moving your arm/wrist)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i got this and i found that playing in classical position gets rid of the pain.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I get this too. Its due to bad posture while practicing . I tend to end up with my shoulder pulled back whilst sitting. standing with a strap i find no problem its only whilst sitting. I have tried the classical position and not only does it allow my shoulder to to rest in a neutral position it also allows my wrist angle on the fretting hand to be in a much more favorable position for fingering notes. Sitting like this has increased my fretting speed no end.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
iff I want to play and I already have a backache I just lie down and play

not nice when using your pedal board but I can play laying down just as wel as I play upraght

your left arm just has to hang over to get to the chords right and on time

but that ain't such a problem
Quote by jj1565
raise ur guitar strap.
Y'know sometimes this is exactly what you shouldn't do.

If you ever suffer from shoulder or elbow pains in your picking arm (right arm, for most people), having your guitar up higher is just going to stress that out, especially if you pick more with the action from your wrist or fingers than from your shoulder and elbow - it will often be better, if this is the case, for you to lower your guitar, so your arm is stretched out straighter. This will take some of the pressure off of those joints and should ease your pain. The downside is, it means your fretting arm will now have to cope with the lower guitar, or you'll have to start playing with your guitar at a more severe angle (look at people like Slash and Billie Joe for examples of the sort of playing angle you'd need).
Quote by bokuho

If you ever suffer from shoulder or elbow pains in your picking arm (right arm, for most people), having your guitar up higher is just going to stress that out, especially if you pick more with the action from your wrist or fingers than from your shoulder and elbow - it will often be better, if this is the case, for you to lower your guitar, so your arm is stretched out straighter. This will take some of the pressure off of those joints and should ease your pain. The downside is, it means your fretting arm will now have to cope with the lower guitar, or you'll have to start playing with your guitar at a more severe angle (look at people like Slash and Billie Joe for examples of the sort of playing angle you'd need).

+1, although perhaps not as low as Slash, that's potentially dangerous if you do it for long periods of time.
Quote by bokuho

not saying this kid. but around here they where their guitar too low and hunch over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
not saying this kid. but around here they where their guitar too low and hunch over.

Come again?
oops wear.

sorry, i was half alseep where i wrote that.

i mean, he's probably going to want to raise it. because most of the kids around EG like to swing the guitar low and end up bending fretting wrist and hunching over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i used to play drums and if you play a fast bass drum rhythim your leg starts to hurt beceuse your muscles getting longer and stronger if this is the same feeling try to keep playing cuz the next time ypu play it will take longer before the feelings return But dont play to much because maybe you stretc your muscle to far and it will hurt for a week
Quote by jj1565
oops wear.

i mean, he's probably going to want to raise it. because most of the kids around EG like to swing the guitar low and end up bending fretting wrist and hunching over.

Gotcha.
Quote by jj1565
oops wear.

A fair point, but this guy has said it's his picking arm, and that will never be hurt from having your guitar low. Your fretting arm can be hurt by havign the guitar too low, and yes this can also mess with your back if you don't stand up properly, but it doesn't explain the pains this guy is having.
Go see a physical therapist. He/she can tell you exactly what's causing the pain and what you should do to prevent it. A while ago I also had a lot of pain in my shoulder, and after seeing a physical therapist a couple of times it was almost completely gone and I now know exactly what I should do to prevent it and my body posture is a lot better now.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by bokuho
A fair point, but this guy has said it's his picking arm, and that will never be hurt from having your guitar low. Your fretting arm can be hurt by havign the guitar too low, and yes this can also mess with your back if you don't stand up properly, but it doesn't explain the pains this guy is having.

listen im not going to get into this with you, but of course bad posture can hurt ur neck back or either shoulder.

TS get a thicker padded strap, make sure it's AT LEAST belt high, take breaks, and if ur that alarmed by this, or have redness or swelling go see your doctor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Friends
I hope someone can answer my question. I was diagnosed with shoulder bursitis and impingement on my strumming side. They injected 2 shots of cortizone, one in the bursa sack just below the shoulder and the other near the rotator cuff. The ultra sound revealed no tears only inflammation. It's been 10 days now and the bursitis is still intense as I can't raise my arm. The doc said to refrain from playing 2 weeks. This is my livelihood. I know cortizone can weaken tendons etc. Is there anyone out there that has gone through the same thing? I play the guitar in places for hours at a time. It does not hurt from the elbow down and I don't have pain while playing. Just putting the guitar on over my shoulder etc. I got the injury from lifting a heavy object putting it on my shoulder etc.
You have to look really closely at what could be the possible cause. MAybe the strap is too tight. Maybe your posture is not good (too much slouching, if so stand in front of a mirror with guitar on).

In the meantime, take the guitar strap off and do some shoulder exercises and see if that helps or not.

Just some advice.

ron666
Yeah i was gonna say do some stretches... I had the nerves in my arm go funny cause i didn't warm up and then slept on it weird... Couldn't play guitar for close to a month... Worst experience of my life.
Now I always do the stretches no matter how long i'm gonna be playing for
I know this thread is dead and has already been necroed once. but I must fill in some knowledge here just in case some one else stumbles across this problem again.

One possible issue could be the body of your guitar is very flat which may cause you to unintentionally push your shoulder forward so that your hand can get the correct angle on the strings. This will tire your shoulder out very quickly and will cause pain, mostly cause it is a very unatural position.

I had that problem to fix it I simply raised my strap up to a height against my torso similar to when sitting down in classical position. This is quite unpopular today because it is often seen as a goofy position since many rockers hand their guitars low. this guitar was an Ibanez RG 270 which is a guitar with a thin body.

However on thicker guitars like a les paul I do not need to raise the guitar up as high since the body is much thicker and presents and more comfortable angle for my hands

This may or may not be the issue that a person with picking hand side shoulder pain may be having but if you think you fit the criteria try this solution. and if you are worried about looking weird with a high strap try not to worry.

(you can also push your knee out or maybe turn the guitar more to your right side so it is more on your right thigh to help but it is not as good as simply raising up a bit.)
my shoulder always hurts, but i play susaphone in marching band, so i have a reason to bitch about it
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!