just started playing the guitar about 6 weeks ago....i'm pretty good, but i want to get better. I am in a mini-band, w/ 2 people + me. We have two songs (no lyrics) and i need help making more/different types of songs and putting lyrics to them. Can you guys help me out....give me a few tips or something?

(Ohh, and i tried to use the lessons, but they didn't work)

And i listen to bands like Green Day, Simple Plan, U2, Yellowcard, Papa Roach, Plain White T's, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and so on...
Quote by ~Gu1t4r~N00b3h~
just started playing the guitar about 6 weeks ago....i'm pretty good, but i want to get better. I am in a mini-band, w/ 2 people + me. We have two songs (no lyrics) and i need help making more/different types of songs and putting lyrics to them. Can you guys help me out....give me a few tips or something?

(Ohh, and i tried to use the lessons, but they didn't work)

And i listen to bands like Green Day, Simple Plan, U2, Yellowcard, Papa Roach, Plain White T's, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and so on...

Sorry son, but that made me laugh a little. I don't mean to be rude, but anyone who thinks they are good after only playing 6 weeks is sadly mistaken. You should take this to the songwriting board.
Be cool.
(i posted here mainly because i want to get better w/ the....you guessed it..."Electric Guitar".)

And i think im pretty good compared to other people who have only been playing for 6 weeks, thats all i meant, lol.
OMG!!! How many freakin posts have ad that title?!?! I've seen a ton of these things: "Need help!" or "Help me!" or "I'm sorry I didn't notice the 900 other identical threads that explain exactly what to do in my situation."
Ugh.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
if you listen to THOSE bands obviously you're gonna sound good...
no offence

nice name btw...
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
6 weeks... your probably better then the guitarist in yellow card, green day and simple plan already screw your band and join theres...

But if you want to learn to write lyrics i find carrying a pen and paper with you while ur out and about helps. I get ideas in weird places so its good to be able to write them down.
Oh and FYI, saying "I'm good" and "been playing for (insert small number here) weeks" in the same sentence is a sure fire way to get flamed, just like using the same generic title everybody seems to like using.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

ok i wont comment on the only playing for 6 weeks part, cause i understand wat u are saying, for ur palyign time, you dont suck, just a hint, change ur terminology,
anyways
hints? erm, well just keep playing together for one

and for getting lyrics, well for my band sort of thing wat we do is get lyrics and then right the music, but to do it in reverse, i guess just get the mellody of the songs in ur head, and then just keep it there until you get some words u like. if you get ANY words you like,even if tis just like one line, then right it down! cause u can build off of it
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
6 weeks.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Last edited by Black_Fender at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by ~Gu1t4r~N00b3h~
(i posted here mainly because i want to get better w/ the....you guessed it..."Electric Guitar".)

And i think im pretty good compared to other people who have only been playing for 6 weeks, thats all i meant, lol.

Yeah, everyone thinks they are a child prodigy these days....Like I said, take it to the songwriting and lyrics thread. They'll be of more assistance.
Be cool.
Let time and experience help you out. Only 6 weeks and you expect to write a song? Try, but it doesn't have to be good. Just write and finish it. Whether it sounds bad or not at least you completed it. Research a lot of music theory, learn to read music well because that will get you involved with rhythm, just practice drills for coordination, strength, speed, and accuracy. For the music theory look up scales, modes, get ideas from certain chord progressions, learn basic Major chords, minor, and then get into learning how to build a chord to a C7 or D9. Those are things all musicians constantly work on and as a beginner that'll get you started. That's the foundation for composing and jamming. I've been playing for 4 years, but the lack of theory, modes, and scales caught up to me and now I'm trying to learn it now. If you play stuff like Plain White Tee's then you should be fine with major and minor chords and scales, but you should look into other type of music too. Expand A LOT! It seems like you're listening to stuff that's only publicized on MTV.