hi, I want to buy my first acoustic guitar.. I want it to be an electric acoustic, however, since it's a beginner guitar I don't wanna spend too much money on it...
so basically I need your suggestions for some low priced but good guitars.
i've been thinking about these guitars:
Takamine EG260C
Cort SFX 1F
Cort SFX 6R
I like this body shape.. it looks pretty small and comfortable.
the Cort are both with solid top.. so tell me what do you think about these 3 specific models? which one is better? and do they worth the price at all?
if you have any other suggestions, advices or something - I'd like to know
(oh.. and the cutaway is necessary too)
I am not really familiar with Cort but I do know Takamine is always a good choice. They kind of led the revolution of acoustic-electrics so if the quality of the electronics is an issue for you, their's with definitely be better. I would just say buy a Yairi like I always do but they are definitely not priced beginner freindly! Try Samick if you have a local dealer that stocks them. They are pretty choice for beginners. Also Washburn. I used to be so against cutaways but after actually owning one I don't see how I ever lived without them. Hope this helps you.
Try playing some seagull guitars. I'm not much of a fan for how it looks, but I love how it plays and how it sounds plugged in.
Takamine is a good brand, and the electros have excellant pickups. I can hook a takamine up to my distortion and play it without worry of a high pitched ringing from the amp. But I only do that for boredom's sake.

Just a few suggestions:

Fender DG-10CE: Its a cutaway that is cheap and has a good sound. It has a very simple pre-amp and passive electronics.

Sometimes a good guitar can be found at a pawn shop....they are cheap and already worked in....I found a Gibson Explorer Goth for $200....that is really cheap

Just look at your first acoustic like this....its going to get beat up and battered over time, so you might as well find something that is cheap and easy to come by than something that you plan to make a showpiece....once you really get into playing, then find your standout guitar thats suits your playing needs
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
well, the problem is that i'm not from the US so it's quite complicated if possible at all to find some of these guitars' companies or models.
I know Takamine are pretty good guitars for the low prices but still the EG260C makes me a little suspicious compared to the corts, because they are all around the same price, but the Takamine doesn't have a solid top..
I guess that in this case poeple who have an experience with both takamine and cort can help the most.
it's very confusing because someone has told me that cort gives a better reward than Takamine.. but at the same time I know that some poeple think that Takamine guitars are very very good..
it's not easy at all to choose a new guitar.. I feel so lost
I also have to say that it's important to me that the guitar will sound good plugged-in but also unplugged..
Last edited by Red4U at Sep 27, 2007,
hey Red4U
Where are you from?

Cort are very good, but as always make sure you play them before hand, acoustics, moreso than electric guitars will vary from guitar to guitar, even if they are the same brand and model. If the Takamine doesnt have a solid top then you should probably take it off your list.
And what other body shapes have you tried and what appeals to you about that body shape?

Also how much are you willing to spend and in what currency?
Quote by johnos
hey Red4U
Where are you from?

Cort are very good, but as always make sure you play them before hand, acoustics, moreso than electric guitars will vary from guitar to guitar, even if they are the same brand and model. If the Takamine doesnt have a solid top then you should probably take it off your list.
And what other body shapes have you tried and what appeals to you about that body shape?

Also how much are you willing to spend and in what currency?

I'm from Israel, so maybe it is possible to find some certain guitars and I just don't know where.. I don't know.. we will see about that part.
Of course that some things change from guitar to guitar, but generally, does Cort sound good both unplugged and plugged-in?
About the body shape- I actually haven't tried it yet, but I know that some poeple like it alot.. right now I can only say that it looks small and comfortable, but I still don't know how it really feels.
I've tried some dreadnoughts in the past, but back then I had no purpose to look for some new guitar, so I don't remember the models (and anyway they were all crappy due to the old strings). I do remember that they were comfortable and the only thing that I had to get used to was the narrow neck.
However, right now I prefer the round body shape.
Now, about the money- it can be 200$.. it can be 500$.. I don't want to limit myself too much.. I guess that 600$ is the maximum, but since it's just my first acoustic/electric- if there's cheaper guitar that is also pretty good then it's better.
I also can't say exactly, because some guitars can be more expensive here and some can be cheaper.. so it depends.
Last edited by Red4U at Sep 28, 2007,
Well I would advise that you look at dreadnaughts and some other body shapes, dreadnaughts are usually quite comfy and they are very versatile sounding. I know that Cort Dreadnoughts are very good and most of them come with fishman pickups which I beleive are very good for the price.

In that sort of price range you are looking at Cort, Takamine, Yamaha, Seagull (possibly).
What you really need to do if you can, is go to a guitar shop and try some different body shapes, you will find that with steel string acoustcis dreadnaughts will be the most common. But still, its good if you can go and try different shapes and see which ones you like. And then you can also try out some different models, because actually playing a guitar is the only way to find something you like. I still surprise myself when i walk into a guitar shop with what I find that I have never considered before.
well, I don't really like guitars with kind of a weird or big body shape.. that's why I will stay away from Ovations and some weird guitars and from jumbo body shape..
so for now I guess I will stay with these 2 options - round body shape or dreadnoughts.
I've watched these videos on youtube of the Cort SFX 1F.. take a look if you don't mind and tell me what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EpX_zLiyA&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVmxfvrmwQ&mode=related&search=
for as much as I can hear it sounds pretty good for such a cheap guitar (or am I wrong?).. the only problem is that I don't know how it sounds unplugged.
In fact, this guitar is cheaper than the Cort SFX 6R.. so I hope the SFX 6R sounds even better, because it's also quite cheap.. I think if it's that way that could be a great deal.. but I guess I should not decide only because of the price.
Btw, these two Cort guitars have the fishman pickup too, so I think it can't be too bad.
In the future, if I consider to buy some more expensive guitar, I guess I will care less about the body shape as long as it's comfortable. Right now, for a first guitar, I just wanna be satisfied with the whole package.
Quote by Red4U
well, I don't really like guitars with kind of a weird or big body shape.. that's why I will stay away from Ovations and some weird guitars and from jumbo body shape..
so for now I guess I will stay with these 2 options - round body shape or dreadnoughts.
I've watched these videos on youtube of the Cort SFX 1F.. take a look if you don't mind and tell me what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EpX_zLiyA&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVmxfvrmwQ&mode=related&search=
for as much as I can hear it sounds pretty good for such a cheap guitar (or am I wrong?).. the only problem is that I don't know how it sounds unplugged.
In fact, this guitar is cheaper than the Cort SFX 6R.. so I hope the SFX 6R sounds even better, because it's also quite cheap.. I think if it's that way that could be a great deal.. but I guess I should not decide only because of the price.
Btw, these two Cort guitars have the fishman pickup too, so I think it can't be too bad.
In the future, if I consider to buy some more expensive guitar, I guess I will care less about the body shape as long as it's comfortable. Right now, for a first guitar, I just wanna be satisfied with the whole package.

Well I'm not a fan of thinline bodies, to me the sound is usually as thin as the body. At least wehn unplugged that is. I think you might be better off going with the Cort Earth 200. It has a solid mahogany back. And also try out the Cort Earth 72, it is a grand auditorium or something and i find the body is really comfortable. But once again, you should really go out and try different guitars so you know for sure what you will find comfortable and what sounds good. Just because they body is thin doesnt mean it will be comfy. I cant stand Les Pauls, yet i started out on acoustics, and acoustics are much bigger than a les paul...
Dude, first of all I wanna thank you so much, because you really help me..
I' ve asked in some other forums and didn't get a normal answer.
Of course thin doesn't mean comfy.. I know that.. it just looks that way, but yeah i'm not making it as a fact before I try it
but hey I have some problem with these EARTH models.. I need the cutaway - I wanna be able reaching the high frets.
If you have more suggestions for some good guitars with a cutaway that will be appriciated!
and yeah just so you know- I'm not taking anything from here as a replacement to checking in the store. I just wanna make a little research before so I will have a general idea of what i'm looking for.
Last edited by Red4U at Sep 29, 2007,
Cort MR series...

Takamines are pretty good in that sorta cutaway and electrics side of thing. Thats bout it that i can think off.
Ok, thank you so much!
I'll see about the MR serious...
Maybe I'll be able to find some good cheap Takamine with a solid top.
Right now it's a battle between Cort and Takamine... hope to find something that will fit me well soon.
Can I just say I think its a bad idea getting an electro-acoustic for your first acoustic unless you've got some money to put behind it?

Don't forget, you don't get a free amp. A good acoustic amp will set you back AT LEAST £200, either that or you'll be playing on an electric amp which isn't advisable if you want a good acoustic tone.

Do you really need an acoustic/elec? And you realise that playabilility is exactly the same? It isn't any more like a normal electric is what I mean. Its not a halfway point. It's essentially a normal acoustic with a volume knob.

Sorry if that seems patronising but I don't know how experienced you are.

PLUS the fact that its electric in any measure makes the price go up significantly. The preamps they build in aren't cheap. You'd get a better guitar if you forgot about the electrics.

Also you said its important you find a guitar that sounds as good unplugged as it does plugged. Thats about as rare as a chocolate unicorn in the price range you've suggested.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 29, 2007,
Yup, I know that. However, it's my first acoustic... i'm really not searching for a killer sound with that kind of price and I know that even if such a thing exist it's probably hard to find.
I'm not going to put too much money on first acoustic, but i'm also not going to give up on the electric part..
I don't know how much time will pass till I get a third guitar.. I don't even know what guitar it will be... so now for a second guitar I want the acoustic... I don't know how much time I will stay with it so I don't want to regret that it has no amplification.
If I get a guitar that sounds good plugged-in and unplugged - it's fine with me
Again, i'm not searching for a killer sound but a good nice sound. For the beginning I think it's ok.
If I decide to stay with the acoustic in the future, then of course I'll put more money on it.
Also, if I decide not to buy another acoustic in the future, then at least I stay with a nice one.
I'm not the first to buy some cheap acoustic/electric... many poeple are satisfied with that.. I think I can be too.
About the amp- that's an other issue. When the time comes maybe we will talk about that too. The money is not an issue and i'll pay for it as much as it takes to get a really good amp.
To be totally honest, it doesnt matter at all what you buy.

My first acoustic was (and still is) is a £70 Encore from Argos. I still play it and love it dearly. IMO, acoustics all sound pretty much the same when youre starting out. Buy something ultra cheap now and spend about £200 later on when youve realised if you want a bassy or twangy sound etc.
Quote by Satch_Boogie
To be totally honest, it doesnt matter at all what you buy.

My first acoustic was (and still is) is a £70 Encore from Argos. I still play it and love it dearly. IMO, acoustics all sound pretty much the same when youre starting out. Buy something ultra cheap now and spend about £200 later on when youve realised if you want a bassy or twangy sound etc.

I know for sure that I want a twangy crispey sound. I mean it should be somewhere in the middle, because too crispey sounds like I rub and hit a can.
I can tell like 100% I don't want it to be bassy... for the mellow sound I have the classical guitar and it's enough for me.