What would be the best way to test MFX pedals (for use with headphones/recording) at GC given that they are complex little beasts and I won't have that much time to tweak them (gt8 was the main one I wanted to test) when I go there this sunday? Also could I find a shady little corner I could practice without some jackass walking over and blowing me away with an impossible solo?
Depends on the store. I asked to try out a loop station at a GC last Saturday. Most of the employees there know me, cause I was a regular customer in the summer. Anyway, the dude took me over near one of the registers to an amp i hadn't noticed before and let me try it out. I turned the volume down because I didnt want to embarrass myself (my playing is okay, but I couldn't work that pedal very well at all).
I had a couple of people staring at me, but if you can convince yourself that you're better than them (at least you have the guts to try it out in public) you should be okay. I had a total stranger walk up and check it out over my shoulder and talk to me about it. He wasn't a jerk at all, he was actually pretty nice. It seemed to indicate maybe he was to afraid to try it out himself (maybe he did after i left). Anyway, just go for it. Don't worry what they think about you.
Lightning solos look good, but you'll look a whole lot smarter (and less arrogant) if you turn the volume down and actually analyze the pedal, which is, i assume, why you're testing it in the first place.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
I'd ask the clerk who sets you up, but then again, he might not know. Are you asking about specific settings on the pedal?

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

O i see. Def go with basic tweaking. Messing with the pedal as much as possible and just listening to the tone is prob the most useful thing to try.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Like if I only have an hour to two in the store should I test the presets on the gt8, tweak it? EDIT: What should I do because I'm probably not using it hooked up to my crappy amp. I'll be using though my computer and headphones. Should I bring my own headphones to test it with?
Yeah try to use a lot of your own gear I guess. You'll want a good feel for what it will sound like under your conditions. If your serious about buying it, you may want to consider allowing more time and maybe a few more visits to test it out. Also, it should really sound just as good thru the amp as your headphones, so try both.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

I have one of those... it's not too crappy. Anyway, I meant that on a good ampp (not necessarily yours), it should sound similar to what your hear through the headphones. You want both to sound good, in case you decide to go gigging with it later.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

I'm getting an epi valve junior once I get some money next summer myb...would that sound good with the gt-8?
I'm not that knowledgeable on Epiphones... Do you want it because it brand name or because you've tried it out? My suggestion would be that while you're at GC, or maybe on a later visit, try out that guitar and see if you like it, but also try out some Fenders, Squiers, Gibson, and Ibanez guitars. you may find you like those more. The pedal itself isn't the issue on sounding good; that depends on the guitar. Any good guitar should sound good on it.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

that's a very complicated pedal set, but it's high quality. Again, the guitar is the main factor in the sound that comes out, not the pedal itself.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

It's supposed to be a budget tube amp, 1 knob, but superior tone...After I get that I'll save up towards a schecter hellraiser. How big are the balls on the gt8? Can it get rip your face off beefy?