I have $400 for a new guitar and basically what's he best there is in that price range? I was looking towards an Epiphone Les Paul or SG which I've heard both good and bad about but most people say the Epiphone Les Paul is only good if it's an Elitist which I don't have enough for. My guitar teacher suggested a guitar called "The Dot". Not sure which company. Basically, I'm willing for pretty much anything short of a Hello kitty guitar.
If he means the Epiphone Dot then they are nice guitars. MF has them for 400$ +Shipping.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
yeah man get an epiphone dot. they look like the gibson es-335.
i have myself a dot studio (got it for around $450) and its amazing.
Love, RamonesRock
there's a nice company called Fender too.

and ibanez.

they come in budget.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
get an epiphone les paul, plain top, it's a great guitar for the price and they are real nice lookin, the only thing is that after a while you might want to change the pickups, not that the stock pickups are bad, but after you get better and develop a better ear u'll probably want better pickups
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
the line of epiphone Les pauls are something you should take a deep look at. what kind of classic rock though?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, I'm also looking into Jazz. But mainly blues oriented stuff. Although I would generally say my writing influences are Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd. Kind of an odd mix.
If you're looking at Epi LPs, a Michael Kelly Patriot Vintage should be your choice .

Much better build quality, electronics, comfortability, and tone.

All of the Ibanez Artcores I've played have been pretty decent if you're looking for a semi-hollow.

You might also want to check out the Michael Kelly Vibe. Looks like it could be right up your alley .

What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
An Epi semi-hollow body like the Dot would probably be nice. The Ibanez artcore line is also worth a look. Or for a completely different direction, check out fender standard strats.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Try and find a used MIM Strat. (standard), they are pure orgasm when you're playing those kinds of music.
Quote by TheIceCreamMan
Well, I'm also looking into Jazz. But mainly blues oriented stuff. Although I would generally say my writing influences are Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd. Kind of an odd mix.

I'd get a Fender strat or a tele, but I'm a fender guy. Or, I'd buy a Cort, but you probably will have a hard time finding them. The SG and the Paul are good choices, but I don't like how the Epiphone standard pauls are a Mahogony-Alder Mix, so I'd go SG.

But, all would be good choices.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
If you're serious about jazz, it seems like a semi-hollow body guitar would cover all your basis, as they generally do jazz tones slightly better than strats. But a good old fashioned stratocaster would also be an excellent choice.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^i want a semihollow gibson or sumtin with P90s for jazz... mmmmmmmm. creamy.

but i love strats too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
What amp have you got? A crappy guitar can sound real good if you're using the right amp.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
if you aren't only in it for jazz, you can get some nice guitars pretty cheap if you go used godin. Mexican Fenders can be decent when properly set up. Samicks aren't really bad.

don't know what semi-hollowbodies you can get cheap.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
anyone thought about Schecter? i saw a 7 string for $499 and a pretty decent guitar for $399. try looking into them for a good deal.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry