I want to start by saying that I love bass.

Now, I've got a sort of a problem where this guy who is supposed to be a bassist in our band will not play his bass. So we've got a guy who's just learning to play bass now. I think that I can deal with that. But the guy who was originally the bassist now wants to play guitar, and he frankly sucks. I'm pretty sure that this will end in someone dying and leaving the band due to not being alive anymore, but I don't know which one it will be. I guess the question is, should we keep on the guy who's great friends with the other guys but won't focus, or the total n00b?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
ok if he doesnt want to play bass, then tell him you dont need a guitarist we need a bassist, so if you want to play guitar leave
give him a few bass solos
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Give the older guy some technical challenges in your songs or let him write his own lines. If that doesn't work then chuck him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Go with the person who actually wants to play bass. Unless you need a bassist immediately, in the long run, to have a bassist that really loves his instrument will be better than one who is forced to play. Tell the other guy to bugger off if he doesn't want to play bass. Unless you need another crappy rhythm player.
Take the guy who wants to, but have a serious talk to the original bassist first. Ask him where he's at with bass, what he wants out of it, what he wants from your band. If you don't need another guitarist, kick him, because it's a hell of a stuff around for everyone to bother with some unfocused kid who thinks he wants to play bass. If he is unsure, don't hesistate to tell him that you are focused and where you are at with music, and your goals, band and personal.

Depending on his response, I'd recommend taking the other bassist, cause you can dumb down basslines and as jazz_rock_feel said, better to have a bassist who loves his instrument.

Too much wasted time messing with guitarists/bassists. At least drummers know what they want.. lol.
Quote by woodenbandman
I want to start by saying that I love bass.

Now, I've got a sort of a problem where this guy who is supposed to be a bassist in our band will not play his bass. So we've got a guy who's just learning to play bass now. I think that I can deal with that. But the guy who was originally the bassist now wants to play guitar, and he frankly sucks. I'm pretty sure that this will end in someone dying and leaving the band due to not being alive anymore, but I don't know which one it will be. I guess the question is, should we keep on the guy who's great friends with the other guys but won't focus, or the total n00b?

Bass solos are out of the question. He can barely play chords, not to mention that his sense of time is limited to concentrating on one string.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear. They are both bad, it's just that one is a complete beginner and the other guy is mediocre.

If all else fails I guess that I'll play the damn bass and be done with it. I really wanted to be the guitarist/keyboardist/vocalist combo, but I guess it'll be appended to be bassist/keyboardist/vocalist. Like Geddy Lee.

I guess that the board's opinions sort of match mine, I just wanted to make sure. I'll bring it up with the rest of the band (drummer and guitarist), and we'll decide who we need and who we don't need.

Now the problem will be to make the guy who's left stop noodling. They both have serious noodling problems.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Sep 29, 2007,
do us all a favor, and DONT take up bass like that

if you do, thats being the same as the guy that wants to be guitarist that doesnt care about bass

i'd say stick with the beginner, let him feel his way out, my moneys on your not good enough to be harshly judging begining people like that, and you havnt mentiuoned any real hurry

if you dont like your options, look around more, but dont take it up out of desperation