discounted Fender CustomTeleHH Spalted vs SG stand

In the spalt corner: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Fender-Special-Edition-Spalted-Custom-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=513879%2e954&src=4WFRWXX
My price: new for $510

In the other corner:
Black SG standard. 9/10 condition for aprox. $825.

The Spalt despite it's being as far from a tele as a "tele" shape can be, ive heard kicks ass and I like everything about it. But the issue is, the spalt wood I first thought I loved, but then I saw a different pic and it looked decent at best. it looks good...and not so good in different pics and im afraid i'll get this and not want to look at the thing. anyone have experience with this, is this really a guitar you need to see in person to appreciate the workmanship of it?

If the spalt look isnt all i originally thought I might go for the SG. Its a greattt deal, but obvi still costs some more.

Obviously personal preference plays into the picture, so what Im basically asking is, has anyone seen/played the Spalt. Because if the spalt can handle heavy stuff , hardcore some metal, along with clean tones on the bridge pup, near similiar to the SG, then it seems the winner.

So...thanks if you even read this far lol

I'm looking for general feedback on this
Last edited by thoranium at Sep 27, 2007,
Each piece of Spalted Maple is really unique, so none of them will really look the same.

I love the way Spalted Maple looks .

If you can get the tele for that cheap, definitely go for it.

I don't think SGs give you much guitar for the money...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
so what's the point of this thread?

sorry i'm kinda slow.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
so what's the point of this thread?

sorry i'm kinda slow.

Ha, I edited my post a bit sry
If the SG has standard Gibson pickups then I think, personally, the Spalt is going to win sound-wise with its Seymour Duncans plus coil tap. From there, it's kind of a personal preference on playability, I think.

As far as how the Spalt will look... if they're all supposed to be different, I'd say it's something you'd have to see with your own two eyes to really decide if you like the way the wood grain looks or not.
Quote by Wanderer259
If the SG has standard Gibson pickups then I think, personally, the Spalt is going to win sound-wise with its Seymour Duncans plus coil tap. From there, it's kind of a personal preference on playability, I think.

As far as how the Spalt will look... if they're all supposed to be different, I'd say it's something you'd have to see with your own two eyes to really decide if you like the way the wood grain looks or not.

It is standard pups on the sg. thx for other comments
Quote by dysfnktnl
I'd go with the tele. More versatile and I don't think the sg has too much going for it.

Why not?

Oh by the way ill be playing a lot of deftones etc but I dont want muddy clean tones
My dad has the Tele you're talking about and it's great.

The Seymour Duncan (not Duncan Designed, but genuine) have a really nice sound, both on the distortion channel, as well as on clean.

As far as durability goes it's awesome, this thing has spent a few weeks travelling in a hot trunk through America and it didn't harm it the slightest. I own the special edition Stratocaster from a few years back (same factory and build quality) and it's a great guitar too, I've had it for a few years now and it's still in perfect condition.

The cosmetics on the Tele are far nicer than those on the SG: you have abalone inlays and of course a bound spalted maple veneer.

Both guitars have a set neck, but i like the joint on the Tele better, it's solid and gives good upper fret access.

When it comes to tonal variety, the Tele also has a push/pull coil tap, giving you a nice single coil tone, something you can't get from the Gibson. When I plug the Fender into my Mesa/Boogie it can sparkle on the clean channel, but it handles high gain equally well. No this thing will not sound as heavy as an EMG equiped, mahogany bodied, tuned down Les Paul, but then again, neither will the SG.

All in all the Fender is a great guitar: nice cosmetic touches, comfortable neck, good pickups and it's affordable too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!