Ok well i have been messing around with tabs and the major chords but that's about it i want to know some theory so it can help me remember chords and know some things that you guys are talking about.

also is there any i dunno exercises or something on chord changing or just getting faster at changing finger positions.

Thanks in Advance
sirAbe
Finger position query: Practice chord shifts [any random set of chords will work]

Theory query: Do you know piano? theory is something you might wanna get acquainted with by a teacher
Check out the music theory lesson on UG if you haven't already. Also check out musictheory.net.
I've found that just practicing major and minor scales all over the neck helps with finger postioning. I'll start with C major and move around the circle of fifths. The fifth of C is G so after running through a C major scale I'll hit G major then D major then A major and so on.

If you play the C starting on the eighth fret of the low E play the G in another position and try not to pause between the two. After a while you'll be able to blaze around the neck without so much as thinking.
Quote by lowestfrequency
I've found that just practicing major and minor scales all over the neck helps with finger postioning. I'll start with C major and move around the circle of fifths. The fifth of C is G so after running through a C major scale I'll hit G major then D major then A major and so on.

If you play the C starting on the eighth fret of the low E play the G in another position and try not to pause between the two. After a while you'll be able to blaze around the neck without so much as thinking.

could you explain that more please. sounds interesting but i dont really know what you mean. explain it like you would to someone who has just picked up a guitar.
thanks
The major scale is composed of eight notes:
- root
- 2nd
- major 3rd
- 4th
- 5th
- major 6th
- major 7th
- octave

Each note is a certain distance from the one before or after it. This distance is called the interval. In the major scale, the note intervals look like this:
- root
- whole
- whole
- half
- whole
- whole
- whole
- half

Using C major as an example the first, or root, note is C. The second note is one step, a step being two frets, up the fret board - D. The major third is another step higher than the 2nd - E. Following this formula, the eight notes in a C major scale:
- C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

e|----------------|----------------|
B|----------------|----------------|
G|----------2-4-5-|5-4-2-----------|
D|----2-3-5-------|------5-3-2-----|
A|3-5-------------|------------5-3-|
E|----------------|----------------|

The fifth note of this scale is G. Find a G on the fret board (E string, 3rd fret is a good place to start) and apply the pattern again:

e|----------------|----------------|
B|----------------|----------------|
G|----------------|----------------|
D|----------2-4-5-|5-4-2-----------|
A|----2-3-5-------|------5-3-2-----|
E|3-5-------------|------------5-3-|

The fifth note of this scale is D. Find a D on the fret board (A string, 5th fret) and re-apply.

Continue to move the pattern by finding the fifth note in each scale until you've cycled back to C.
Take a visit to the Musician Talk forum and spend some time reading the stickied threads.

Congrats on taking the first steps to becoming a real musician