I'm looking to replace my Cube 60 and Epiphone g-400, and my budget is about $1500.
I play mostly indie/rock stuff, but i have an occasional need for some br00tal distortion. Right now i'm looking at a peavey classic 30/50, 72 Tele Thinline, and maybe a Big Muff/Metal muff. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Hows the reverb on the Peavey Classic? I love me some fender reverb, is it close to that?
Last edited by TheTVSays at Sep 28, 2007,
wtf why not peavey?
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
peaveys are USUALLY average to below average, they sound real bland and tinny and not very reliable...except for the peavey classic!!! lol, but for your budget you could get something nice...look for a jcm on ebay, that's how i got mine (600 bucks) or if you don't want to have to go get a cab look for a used vintage modern combo, those are cool too, or if you're not into marshall a fender hot rod deluxe is good

oh and vox's AC amps are ****in amazing!!
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Sep 28, 2007,
72 thinline tele and a used 5150 combo.

EDIT: The traynor tubes are nice. Check out the YCV50 blue. prolly better than the 5150 choice
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by RadioMuse
NOT A PEAVEY AMP. Seriously if you love Fender Reverb get a Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb and a Turbo RAT, or really whatever distortion petal you prefer.

The 72' Thinline is a fine choice of instrument however.

Quote by psychokiller99
peaveys are USUALLY average to below average, they sound real bland and tinny and not very reliable...except for the peavey classic!!! lol, but for your budget you could get something nice...look for a jcm on ebay, that's how i got mine (600 bucks) or if you don't want to have to go get a cab look for a used vintage modern combo, those are cool too, or if you're not into marshall a fender hot rod deluxe is good

oh and vox's AC amps are ****in amazing!!

both of ur opinions are heavily biased. peaveys are pretty decent. 5150 has very nice crunch. also, for his style, '65 deluxe reverb + distortion pedal wouldn't be too great. i hate sticking distortion pedals in front of awesome fender blackfaces. it just defeats the purpose of a tube amp.

JCM800s are nice. 900s are nice. but a used vintage modern combo? it only came out like 3 months ago... and fender hot rod deluxe is waht i call "really bland and tinny". although they don't tend to break down or anything, their sound isn't that respectable. the more gain channel being the worst thing on the amps.

and yes, vox AC amps are amazing at high volume. and no, sticking an overdrive won't get you tube crunch. its still solid state distortion. tubes need to be saturated to produce tube tone. Vox AC relies heavily on powertube saturation, so you have to crank that up to deafening volume in order to get the amazing tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
both of ur opinions are heavily biased. peaveys are pretty decent. 5150 has very nice crunch. also, for his style, '65 deluxe reverb + distortion pedal wouldn't be too great. i hate sticking distortion pedals in front of awesome fender blackfaces. it just defeats the purpose of a tube amp.

if anything you're being the biased one in the thread. distortion pedals were created so that those same guys using blackface Fenders could sound like Marshalls and still keep their cleans. and most everyone used tube amps back then. so your point is moot.
^so... you say modern mass produced distortion pedals sound like marshalls? and mass produced pedals keeping the clean sound when it's bypassed? you're talking "back then". i'm talking right now. with limited budget at $1500. you can get the vintage stuff, but it would be well over $1500. the fuzz face reissues are horrible. vintage ones cost a fortune. blackface fenders reissues are alright. but it's not the same as the old ones.

TS wants indie/rock sound from his new setup. and occasional metal distortion. from a fender blackface and a pedal or two? don't tell me he should put a Boss Metal zone in front of his amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ youre just conforming to that stupid ethos people try to spread around here. boss metalzones arent the only distortion pedals on the planet. and i never indicated that "mass produced" pedals sound like marshalls. but many of which actually sound great(womanzer +59 reissue is pure tonal magic).
ec, youre really buying into a lot of the bull**** people are pushing around this website. maybe you need to take a step back and evaluate things.
I gotta say the peavey classics are really nice amps.

I got a classic 30 used, and its more than loud enough for gigs (mic it through PA if its a big venue), and if you put in a high quality speaker or run it through a cab it'll be awesome.

it has good cleans and (IMO) some nice distortion. Sort of like a cross between a fender and a marshall -- you can't get really high (i.e. modern/nu-metal) distortion, but it can cover most any rock, and even some metal (early metallica, some Randy roads stuff like crazy train) on its own pretty well. Stick a good distortion pedal in front of it and your set for high gain

and btw both the above posters are wrong -- some high-end pedals actually have tubes in them (around $200-$300 usually, but some have multi-effects too, so its more than worth it) and combined with a tube amp, you could get some real nice distortion going. one such pedal is the AXL multi-effects (here) I tried one of these and really liked the sound, and it can definitely fit in your budget.

So I say get one of those pedals, a classic 30 (50 if you really think you need it) (used , I got my classic 30 for $350!!!), and for a guitar, I'd say get one of the Godin guitars-- really excellent guitars for low prices. Seriously, they match up to American fenders and gibsons -- action = perfect, neck= straight, pickups = pretty good for the $$$, intonation is good, I gotta say, for half the price of the big names, godin really matches 1:1 with them IMO.

that way, you have a really nice amp, guitar, and pedal, all for within your budget (less if you get the amp/guitar used) go used, and you can get a freeway classic for around $250-$275, a peavy classic 30 for $350-$400, and the pedal (new) for around $200. A really good setup for $875, then with that extra money ($625!!!) you can get some more amazing gear -- upgrade the pickups to dimarzios/EMGs, possibly put in a new bridge with a piezo if you want to, wah pedal, some active electronics or built in preamp/distortion, and a new (high end) speaker for the amp...

you can get a pretty awesome setup with that money. Hell, if you choose the right upgrades, you can even afford to have someone install it all for you!!!

seriously... think about it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
^ uh, youre talking out of your ass. the womanizer in my above post has tubes. so yeahhhh
so which of the pedals sound like marshalls back then? i don't think pedals can emulate amps. no, i havent tried a Fulltone OCD yet. i've tried quite a few though. i was really big with Boss pedals before. i had a couple, tried most of them out before i moved on to Tubescreamers. they don't do what i want them to do. so i hot rodded it. discovered my bypass was really mushy with no treble coming through from either of the boss pedals or the ibanez. i went for true bypass tubescreamer clones, and modified them to my spec. i'm still concerned about the tone.

along they way between hotrodding my TS and getting the True bypass tubescreamer clone, i got a tube amp. Fender Blues Jr., an entry level all-tube combo. the tone that i get from it is different. i'm more of a creamy overdrive kind of a guy, and i couldn't get that with many of the pedals i've tried. fuzzes didn't cut through, distortion pedals weren't that great with many of them being too harsh sounding, overdrives were the best of these kinda things, but they were pretty harsh too. I tried to adjust the tone knob in every one of the pedals, but if i rolled it down, i lose the highs. it's just like that.

don't get too angry about this though. it's a discussion. not an argument between two 13 year-olds.

so what i'm saying, is that i know what kind of tone i wanted. but i didn't get it. i got a tube amp that actually gets the tone i want. i don't know about you, but from my experience, it's just bull**** to spend so much money on a fender blackface and bunch of pedals. Blackface is a great amp. don't misunderstand me. there are nice pedals too. but just getting the amp that can get the sound that you want from itself is the best bet. nothing does it better. i've played a peavey valveking before. it wasn't my favorite tone, but yes i did get some tones that i can't really describe but were decent sounding. you say peaveys are bad because you heard somebody say their peavey bandits or something sucked right?

i'm not directly saying this to you, TehJermie, but i think it's a real issue. a brand can't be bad because somebody said their budget amps were bad. that goes for Peaveys and the bandits, Marshalls and MGs, Line 6s and the spiders, Fenders and frontmans, etc.

btw, i just saw ur edited post (iono if it was, but didn't see it till now), i haven't tried ur "womanzer +59" or something. but i bet it's wonderful. im looking forward to checking it out.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TehJermie
^ uh, youre talking out of your ass. the womanizer in my above post has tubes. so yeahhhh

sorry, I didn't read your post, I was talking about the guy who said pedals were "solid state distortion" while some clearly are not. besides the rest of my posts advises him an awesome setup with a ton of upgrades that will give him awesome gear. Read the whole post before you say someone doesn't know what he's talking about, regardless of how long it may be.

and to the threadstarter

please read my whole post, I've given you an awesome setup there that would really sound awesome, and it fits perfectly in your budget. Hell, if you don't go crazy hot rodding, you can save a few hundred $$$ and still have great gear.

It won't have big names on it, but it will have great quality you can't buy unless you go to a custom shop for twice the price.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 28, 2007,
^pedals with tubes don't give the same distortion as tube amps. tube amps get 120/220volts in from ur home/studio's electricity outlet, and your pedal gets 9volts, or at most 18 volts. it doesn't saturate the same way. i've tried the EHX tube pedal. i think british muffin or something? it was way too harsh sounding for my taste. none of the creamy tube saturation i dig.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
EC, i wasnt trying to be argumentative with you in any way. i was just trying to let you know that a marshall on the edge of breakup isnt the solution for anything. tone is just so personal. and for the "getting an amp made for what you want to" and no point in adding pedals to a blackface. i find that every amp adds its own unique and special coloring making every pedal sound differently. personally i havent heard a better sound for myself using a multitude pedals(many of these distortion) through my favorite amp. and it was a blackface "ripoff" of sorts by a competing manufacturer.
and this is put up against friends marshalls, mesas, and many boutique amplifiers of local players.

in regards to pedals that sound like amps. of course it will be nigh impossible to replicate a standalone amplifier 100%, but many pedals aim for the characteristics of these amps but added with another amp make something unique which i find wonderful. box of rock anyone?

for the womanzer 59 i was talking about.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Womanizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154701

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-59-Bassman?sku=480726

go to your local shop and try it sometime.
Quote by ECistheBest
^pedals with tubes don't give the same distortion as tube amps. tube amps get 120/220volts in from ur home/studio's electricity outlet, and your pedal gets 9volts, or at most 18 volts. it doesn't saturate the same way. i've tried the EHX tube pedal. i think british muffin or something? it was way too harsh sounding for my taste. none of the creamy tube saturation i dig.

yeah, but if he gets a tube amp, he can use it's distortion for that, and the pedal (which will still have great distortion for the heavier stuff) in the pedal, along with effects and a GREAT guitar after all the work. He should be able to achieve pretty much any sound he wants with the setup I posted.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by ECistheBest

if you notice the pedal i linked you too, it runs at 250 volts.
Quote by TehJermie
EC, i wasnt trying to be argumentative with you in any way. i was just trying to let you know that a marshall on the edge of breakup isnt the solution for anything. tone is just so personal. and for the "getting an amp made for what you want to" and no point in adding pedals to a blackface. i find that every amp adds its own unique and special coloring making every pedal sound differently. personally i havent heard a better sound for myself using a multitude pedals(many of these distortion) through my favorite amp. and it was a blackface "ripoff" of sorts by a competing manufacturer.
and this is put up against friends marshalls, mesas, and many boutique amplifiers of local players.

in regards to pedals that sound like amps. of course it will be nigh impossible to replicate a standalone amplifier 100%, but many pedals aim for the characteristics of these amps but added with another amp make something unique which i find wonderful. box of rock anyone?

awesome. see, the thing is, the solution to every discussion like this is that everybody have different taste in sound, some want harsh sound, some want creamy sound, some want bassy tone, some want trebly ones, or fat ones. i guess these threads are only for suggestions. the TS gotta go try'em. if he/she can't, they should buy from guitar center and use the 30-days satisfaction policy and bring it back if he/she didnt like it. most of the statements i make in this forum is just my opinion. if people agree, then they agree. if people disagree, then they disagree. it's simple as that.

and i agree with the pedal sound like amps thing too. when a pedal colors the tone in a nice way, it's all good. i just haven't had too great of experiences with pedals now. thats kinda why i jumped into building pedals myself...

EDIT: and for the womanizer pedal, i'm just amazed. its really biased 250 volts. hands down.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard