whats makes squires beginners guitars?

whats considered good enough to move up to another guitar?

what makes a guitar more ept at playing metal vs indie?
they suck basically, the wood they are made of is cheap so are the pickups and they tend to fall apart easily. not exactly pro equipment
empty the bullets from the chamber
the way they are assembled, the materials used in them, and the audience they are aimed for makes squiers geared more towards beginners
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
they serve their purpose.. to pretty much be a beginer guitar and to learn with.. but they have crappy pickups made a of really cheap wood, sometimes fall apart like the volume and tone knobs..
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
well, the pickups are junk most times, but if u put some nice pickups in them then there's no problem, but the same is said for all guitars.
Don't worry so much about equipment.

As long as it works and is playable.

If it really bothers you or is uncomfortable to play or to listen to buy something else

If you think it's fine, it's fine

No guitar virtuoso ever got where they were by equipment
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Dauntless
they suck basically, the wood they are made of is cheap so are the pickups and they tend to fall apart easily. not exactly pro equipment

I sense a bandwagon jumper...

The things that make Squiers and the like beginners guitars is the low cost for the most part; obviously this means that the component quality and assembly suffers a bit but they're still perfectly respectable instruments and you can find real gems amongs them that actually sound pretty good.

For the money they're very hard to beat.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

The things that make Squiers and the like beginners guitars is the low cost for the most part; obviously this means that the component quality and assembly suffers a bit but they're still perfectly respectable instruments and you can find real gems amongs them that actually sound pretty good.

I agree.

Now as to when to move up depends on you. I think you'll know when it's time. It happened for me when I started searching for " that specific sound ". If your gear is working for you, just enjoy what you have. Practice hard and often.
If your new to guitar your not going to have much knowledge about guitars and equipment or even if your going to enjoy playing guitar long enough to justify buying good equipment, the squire range fills that gap in the market perfectly as they feel and play good enough in respect to the pricde they cost. If you do choose to progress from a squire in the future you will undoubtedly have much more knowledge as to what guitar suits your style and what you like so your in a much better position to spend your hard earned cash! Squire does its job perfectly and everybody wins (except the guitar elitists who think because you don't have an amazing guitar your nothing, but f*** them).
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
well hes kinda right. My first guitar was a squier (i was 15) and a i now play a fender 70's strat. Its only when you see them side by side and play one then the other that you will notice. Firstly finish on the neck is nowhere near as smooth on the squier and its a lot lighter ie cheap quality composite crap instead of solid piece of quality wood.
You will notice also that things like screws etc have been put into place roughly etc.
Pickups havent got much of a kick either just standard single coil pickups compared to single coil lace sensor pickups in the 70's strat just no comparison.

So really yeah ok for a beginner but as soon as you pickup another guitar it will most likely sound better. While i probly sound like an elitist i aint. Pure fact of the matter is i would never have got into guitar at all without the availability and cheapness of a squier since even low range fender are expensive to people in their early teens!
but having said that the build quality isnt really that great if your're thinking of gigging or really getting into guitar.
Squier affinity Strat - red
Gould Les paul style - black
Fender Mexican 70's re-issue Strat - black
Gibson Les Paul Studio - worn cherry
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Personally I'd say the Pacifica 112 beats it, purely because the humbuucker makes it more versatile.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Squier: Cheap parts, crap 'wood' and suspect quality control

However, they're aimed at beginners since they don't cost much and are pretty versatile - basically something to get you started until you start to develop into a specific type of guitarist.

And really, you'll know it's time to move up to another guitar when you feel like your instrument is holding you back; 'cause it feels too hard to play, or maybe can't get the tone you want.
^ lol.... Chauncy... interesting name...

well from another thread i made in the electric guitar section abt squiers ( which you may want to look at) many agree that not all squiers are bad and there are some awesome ones out there. just it it set up right, and try it out before you buy!
I'd recommend starting cheap too, I didnt, I bought a MIM Fender Strat, a line 6 spider 2 half stack and then found out I didnt like guitar playing!

So I traded it all out for bass gear which I love and lost alot of money on that endevour

live and learn right?
MIJ Squier (some like the real early ones are better) = MIM Strat ... so I'd say yes, squiers can be good if you can find an MIJ.
Quote by Myrdinn
MIJ Squier (some like the real early ones are better) = MIM Strat ... so I'd say yes, squiers can be good if you can find an MIJ.

To be honest, id say the MIJ 'JV' Squier strats rival MIA Fender strats that are being produced now, and the Korean Squier strats from 80's rival todays MIM strats!
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
Quote by CelestialChaos
I love how people say changing the pick ups in a Squire will make it a good guitar. That's not gonna help, a good guitar has so many more varying factors than pick ups.

I'm assuming that you believe that because you own a Gibson LP, and subsequently any imitation, starter, copy, lesser valued guitar, is not as good.

If you had a good Squier (yes, it's spelt Squier), and wanted to put good pickups in it, it would sound pretty decent. Why you would want to, of course, is anyone's guess, since you could find a nice MIM or Tokai for the same price as a Squier and new pups.
Quote by Don_Humpador
I'm assuming that you believe that because you own a Gibson LP, and subsequently any imitation, starter, copy, lesser valued guitar, is not as good.

If you had a good Squier (yes, it's spelt Squier), and wanted to put good pickups in it, it would sound pretty decent. Why you would want to, of course, is anyone's guess, since you could find a nice MIM or Tokai for the same price as a Squier and new pups.

Tokai = Awesome
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
Maybe because they cost $90 and sell them at Wal-mart?
Nope. None at all.
Quote by CelestialChaos
I love how people say changing the pick ups in a Squire will make it a good guitar. That's not gonna help, a good guitar has so many more varying factors than pick ups.

Not just the pickups but the pots and wiring too. They skimp everywhere they can when making these things. That's not to say you can't find good playing ones, quite the contrary, but manufacturing tolerances on them are just looser in general than for MIM and MIA guitars. If I had to pull numbers out of thin air maybe it's something like 40% of Squiers are stinkers, 20% of MIMs, and 10% of MIAs.

If you've got good wood in the body and a decent playing neck then it just doesn't matter where the guitar is made if you put good parts in it. The Squiers have cheap electronics though and the tuners on the ones I've tried have definitely been worse than the ones on my MIM which hardly ever falls out of tune. They're just not as nice. Some are very playable though... there are also huge differences between the models. A Squier Standard is a lot better than the cheap-o budget models.
Quote by alliwant
Personally I'd say the Pacifica 112 beats it, purely because the humbuucker makes it more versatile.

i agree, but i have a squier fat strat (humbucker in the bridge position H/S/S) so personally i would choose the squier fat strat, which costs the SAME as a regualr squier strat, over the regular squier strat
I like Squier.
It's pretty good quality for it's price, and I happen to still be using it. It's a handme down from my cousin who's had it for approximately about 10 years or so, and now I have it, so it's been at least 13 years now.
It's still in great shape, the pups haven't fallen apart yet. It sounds great still.
Another thing like about Squier is that you can buy a cheap guitar with decent tone, and you can mess around with it, like spraypaint and whatever, since it's that cheap.

Hey, whatever floats your boat right?
Barring quality control I have yet to recieve a technical defenition as to what, if anything, makes squiers bad. Most perspectives on the issue seem to amount to "IT DOESN'T SAY FENDER ON THE HEADSTOCK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH".
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I have a Squier...

They really aren't as terrible as people build them up to be. I got it because when I first wanted to start playing, I had to buy everything myself, which meant I had to come up with the money myself. Now, what would YOU do if you were 13 and had to come up with some money to buy a guitar? Would you
A) go for that $1200 Gibson LP and some amazing tube amp?
Or
B) A Squier pack (*gasp* yes, I bought a pack) for $250?

Obviously, the second one. I think it's pretty dumb to spend a lot of money on something when you don't know you'll even stick with it. In my case, I did. But there are tons of people out there who spent a whole lot of money on a guitar/amp and their interest in it only lasted a month or two. I think it's not fair to say that Squiers are total crap- you get what you pay for, and for the price of Squiers, I'd say you might actually get more. Now that I am more into guitar, I am saving up for something much, much better. But really, it's cheap, and it's playable. What more could you possibly expect from a beginning guitar?

They stop sucking so badly when it's the best you could afford.
Last edited by Ringtone at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by Comfortablylomb
Not just the pickups but the pots and wiring too. They skimp everywhere they can when making these things. That's not to say you can't find good playing ones, quite the contrary, but manufacturing tolerances on them are just looser in general than for MIM and MIA guitars. If I had to pull numbers out of thin air maybe it's something like 40% of Squiers are stinkers, 20% of MIMs, and 10% of MIAs.

If you've got good wood in the body and a decent playing neck then it just doesn't matter where the guitar is made if you put good parts in it. The Squiers have cheap electronics though and the tuners on the ones I've tried have definitely been worse than the ones on my MIM which hardly ever falls out of tune. They're just not as nice. Some are very playable though... there are also huge differences between the models. A Squier Standard is a lot better than the cheap-o budget models.

I opened my friends Squier Affinity, and it was very nice resonate Alder. The Pots were full diameter CTS. The Pup Switch did not make any popping noises. The pickups sounded sweet and bell like through my Epi VJ. But, he did buy it used, so maybe the previous owner modded it. If not, most of your arguments are untrue.

Oh, and if going for a squier, don't get the standards. Get the Affinities.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CelestialChaos

the pickup in even the cheapest guitar probably accounts for 90% of the sound/tone. slapping good pups in a squire will definitely improve the tone.

thread starter - squire are just mass produced thats all. they are cheap and they serve a purpose but if you can play well then you can play well on a squire. if you cant play well on a squire you certainly shouldnt buy a more expensive guitar because youll still suck!

my $0.02
I've got a Squier Affinity Strat...since I'm still essentially learning (do we ever stop?) it's suited me fine. Hasn't fallen to pieces, keeps it in tune pretty well and only one or two chips on the finish...both of which materialised recently. Sounds pretty good through my Marshall MG15DFX amp too. Sure it's not perfect but it only cost just over a £100 and whilst I'm saving up for a Fender Aerodyne Strat it's never let me down and I'm glad I chose it.

I think you appreciate Squiers more when you have a look at other starter guitars on option. Obviously excluding Epiphone and other such sub companies a lot of beginner guitars on the market are total ****. Just a quick stroll into the local 'buy and sell' store shows you an abundance of cheap guitars lining the walls. When I went on holiday I was able to use a guitar my uncle has so I could keep practising. The guitar in question was an Encore KC3...whilst it was ok for a week compared to the Squier it didn't really hold up. For a start the tuning pegs were a nightmare, thought one of them was going to drop off everytime I tuned it, secondly the pickups were very weak and thirdly the strap buttons didn't exactly seem solid. When I got home to my Squier I could have been mistaken for thinking I was holding a proper Fender such was the difference in quality between that and the Encore.

So really Squiers tend to get a raw deal from many here, they're not great guitars by any stretch of the imagination...but given the price what do you expect?
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
Quote by CORT noob
I opened my friends Squier Affinity, and it was very nice resonate Alder. The Pots were full diameter CTS. The Pup Switch did not make any popping noises. The pickups sounded sweet and bell like through my Epi VJ. But, he did buy it used, so maybe the previous owner modded it. If not, most of your arguments are untrue.

Oh, and if going for a squier, don't get the standards. Get the Affinities.

The Affinities are alder, the Standards are agathis, and some of the other ones are made out of other other woods. They're cheap and I've bumped into some real clunkers because the manufacturing tolerances aren't terribly high. The bodies can be made out of more pieces of wood than MIMs and MIAs and whether you think that's an issue or not (I don't particularly buy into it) is another matter. The electronics aren't known for being terribly high quality either and not particularly durable. I'm sure you can find a great one here and there but on the whole there's a reason why they're only $150. I'm also sure you can float around the net and find stories about people who love theirs and just as many stories by people who wound up with the clunkers. As I said, the lower down the spectrum you go the less choice parts go into the things and the more clunkers get churned out by the factory. There are also some lines like the Squier 51 that have no business being as good as they are at their price point. Without factoring in cost you will get a better guitar at the MIM level and particularly at the MIA level but when you factor in the cost the lines get blurred tremendously.