Page 1 of 2
Hey,

has anyone ever seen a cool sweeppicking/arpeggio solo on a guitar? You probably have (if not watch the glass prison of DT, perfect solo ).
I was wondering if that was possible on a bass too, (yes I know it is ofcourse possible, but does it sound good too??).
And is it better to use your fingers or a pick for it?

Has anyone got video's or something from bassist who does such a thing?
Last edited by recondite11 at Sep 28, 2007,
I havent really heard any bass sweep picking, but I dont really listen to any metal of any sort, which is what I presume sweep picking would be most common in..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Quote by benco
I havent really heard any bass sweep picking, but I dont really listen to any metal of any sort, which is what I presume sweep picking would be most common in..

The fact that I listen to (prog) metal and haven't heard any, must indicate that it's not common I guess...

But I want to know if it exists :P

Would be fun to play
wow triple post dude.

hopefully this won't turn into another avant garde type thread

anyway yeh i've heard of sweeping on a bass. its most common when a shred-head guitarist picks up a bass and thinks he's the ****. personally i think it sounds terrible and undefined but then i thinks sweeping on guitar sounds terrible and undefined.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I do it a lot, me and my guitarist get some cool harmonies going with it. Except it's harder on bass, there's a bit more hand movement, so a LOT of legato slides and such are involved. Just practice and build up some good speed.

Hallelujah dude, the first proper answer. So it actually CAN sound good. Do you use a pick or your finger or your thumb or what?
Check out one of the dream theater dvds!
In some songs/solos there are few bass sweeps in songs and hes using his fingers!
I use a pic to do it. It takes a lotta practice to get it sounding clear but just start off slow cause its not going to happen over night
Last edited by sictree at Oct 3, 2007,
I bass sweep in my band.
2nd member of the Ibanez SR506 Owners Club! PM Greenday389 to join!

Gear: Ibanez SR506
Yamaha RBX170
Ibanez GSR205
Proof or it didn't happen.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by skater dan0

anyway yeh i've heard of sweeping on a bass. its most common when a shred-head guitarist picks up a bass and thinks he's the ****. personally i think it sounds terrible and undefined but then i thinks sweeping on guitar sounds terrible and undefined.

Well then you haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RNA1LfYbg

at 2:00 is when the magic happens
Quote by devilscruffs14

wierdest levels ever, befor ethe soloing you can't hear him at all, during it he is too loud!!!!............ i had a gig with a sound guy who did that once... douche bag...... but i didnt watch the whole thing im going off the first lil bit

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I sweep, I learned it from the bassist of the prog metal band Zero Hour. I use a mix of flamenco picking and tapping to sweep. You can hear it on my bands recording found in the original recordings forum. The song is called trepanation so search for it if you feel like it.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by devilscruffs14

and i'm totally unimpressed. It's mindless wanking again, i admit his tone is pretty nice but nothing special. He's just like every othere classically influenced shredder before him

fast =/= good
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah I know but it is a little.

Can someone post a short little sweep so I can practice. Or maybe suggest a song with a tab or notes somewhere. Preferable for a 4 string bass.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Last edited by Puma89 at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Puma89
Yeah I know but it is a little.

Can someone post a short little sweep so I can practice. Or maybe suggest a song with a tab or notes somewhere.

+1, but than with real sweeping, not just 1 bar
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661019&highlight=trepanation

The song has bass sweeping in it. Basically im "picking"(with my thumb) the 13th fret of the E string, then hammer on 16> I then sweep up with a flamenco style the 15th fret of the A and D strings. Then the 13th on the G, hammer on 17, then tap the 22nd fret, pull off hammer on 17, 13. Then just rake down the same way that you came up. This is probably confusing trying to explain it but it works. If you check out chops from hell's website there is a dvd of Troy Tipton who does this. I think there is also a youtube clip of his sweeping. Hope this helps.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by Names_mud
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661019&highlight=trepanation

The song has bass sweeping in it. Basically im "picking"(with my thumb) the 13th fret of the E string, then hammer on 16> I then sweep up with a flamenco style the 15th fret of the A and D strings. Then the 13th on the G, hammer on 17, then tap the 22nd fret, pull off hammer on 17, 13. Then just rake down the same way that you came up. This is probably confusing trying to explain it but it works. If you check out chops from hell's website there is a dvd of Troy Tipton who does this. I think there is also a youtube clip of his sweeping. Hope this helps.

Wow thanks dude, you have just proven to me that with a little (very much) practising I could make a good sweep solo on a metal riff
Yeah man, It sounds nice more examples will be greatly appriciated!
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Hey i was checking around for sweeping and found this guide for guitar but you can do it on bass too.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/sweep_picking.html

Here's the first exercise but i converted it for bass.
V for downstroke and ^ for upstroke

----v-----v---v----^---^---^---v---v---v---^---^---^
G|----------14--12-----------------10-9--------
D|------15----------14---------12-------10-----
A|-17--------------------15-13-------------10--
E|--------------------------------------------------

Cheers!
I hope it's right
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Last edited by Puma89 at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
little tip... for some good sweeping potential, tune EADA.

?, why? there are loads of chords? for some of them that would be great but others are not reachable anymore than
you could do that but if you tap the octave, you are in a position to also tap some chord extensions just as easily.
greenday1182
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I only have 21 frets. A bit higher up the fretboard, you don't have those notes anymore.

I've got 24 frets so it would work here I guess
Quote by Puma89

Here's the first exercise but i converted it for bass.
V for downstroke and ^ for upstroke

----v-----v---v----^---^---^---v---v---v---^---^---^
G|----------14--12-----------------10-9--------
D|------15----------14---------12-------10-----
A|-17--------------------15-13-------------10--
E|--------------------------------------------------

Thats a awesome exercise to start learning sweeping! Some one needs to make a bass sweeping tutorial :P
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Quote by recondite11
I've got 24 frets so it would work here I guess

But I would still recommend trying out uptuning the G to an A. I've written some brilliant sweeping lines in EADA, you can get some very nice, easy shapes that sound excellent. Also, why stay in standard tuning? I'm very much for expanding horizons with my playing. It's only a small thing, but it makes a HUGE difference.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But I would still recommend trying out uptuning the G to an A. I've written some brilliant sweeping lines in EADA, you can get some very nice, easy shapes that sound excellent. Also, why stay in standard tuning? I'm very much for expanding horizons with my playing. It's only a small thing, but it makes a HUGE difference.

if you post some excersises here in your tuning I might be convinced , with the G tuned as a F it is a lot easier to play that excercise puma suggested. (but it already was easy so no need to)
g|-------------14-12--------------------------10-9-10-9
D|----14-15----------12-14----------10-12-------------10
A|17----------------------------15-13-------------------------10

wth has this got to do with sweeppicking?? Stupid guitarists
Quote by recondite11
if you post some excersises here in your tuning I might be convinced , with the G tuned as a F it is a lot easier to play that excercise puma suggested. (but it already was easy so no need to)

Don't be arrogant.

Anyways, even though I don't feel the need to prove my point, try this. It's a part from one of my solo pieces. Quite gothic sounding, very cool, very fast :

I can't use code tags for sh*t

That's a basis for it, it moves up and down the fretboard changing the shape accordingly.

I think I'll just write a guitar pro tab for it instead.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by recondite11

Dude try it out, if you don't like it then at least you know you gave it a chance, I don't see why you need convincing to try new things such as tuning one string up a step to make things easier for yourself.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Dude try it out, if you don't like it then at least you know you gave it a chance, I don't see why you need convincing to try new things such as tuning one string up a step to make things easier for yourself.

I don't say I won't do it, but you lose a lot of chords with it. I play loads of chords normally, so I am comfortable with the normal tuning. But I'll try it out sometime
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't be arrogant.

I am not being arrogant. I think for that exercise it is needles to tune your bass diferentely.
Page 1 of 2