i dont know much about amps, but ive been reading a lot about them recently, and my understanding is that tube amps are the way to go for punk/hardcore/metal kinda playing?
tube amps are the way to go for any genre.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Quote by imdwalrus
tube amps are the way to go for any genre.

not necessarily.

Some jazz players want very clean cleans, that won't break up at high volumes. In this case, a high-wattage solid state is usually the answer. Also some metal guitarists want a tight, harsh distortion, which you'll be unlikely to get out of a tube amp. tube amps are ideal if you want anything between solidly clean or solidly distorted.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Depends, tube amps range in price from about £200 ($400) to as much money as you will ever have, what is your price range?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Then you'll need and american to help being British I won't be of much use.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.