Hey guys its me again.

I'm Starting to get a few bass lines down on my strat I've got Everlong and a few other Grunge riffs

Anyways

I had a look at that Ibanez that quite a few people told me about as a first bass the grg something....... and while I admit the reviews did sound rather good it didn't look that great to me no in the seance of "oh it doesn't come in black" or "its not METAL enough" now this is going to sound totally insane but I've been looking at some Squire's and there's two that have really caught my eye...... now before people think that I've totally lost the plot hear me out.

I listen to a wide range of music but most of the bands that I'm really into use fender basses or higher end Ibanez's most of the reviews for the squires that I've looked at said that you can get a whole load of sounds and get something quite close to the sound of a real p bass or jazz.

here's the basses that I'm interested in

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/1327-squier_vintage_modified_precision_bass

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-standard-p-bass-special/3822

Oh and I know I've asked about bass amps before but I was just wondering if I could have a few suggestions for an Amp that can cover funk post hardcore. alt metal/rock something that I'll give me a good sound for stuff like RHCP, Rage/Audioslave, FFAF, Fightstar, Breaking Benjamin Linkin Park, S.O.A.D etc

Thanks people
you can get some great sounds out of the second one (especially for slap) because of the pup combo
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Vintage Modified = best Squier basses around at the moment. The VM Jazz is built out of better wood, I believe, but if you're set on a P (and good on ya! Us P fans are a dying breed compared to J fans, it seems), then the VM P is a damn fine buy.

Also keep an eye out for used MIM Fenders.

As for your amp question, give us a price range and I'm sure we'll be happy to oblige.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
To be honest I'm slightly more inclined to getting the P bass so there not going to die out just yet lol

I've not really got much of an Idea at the min on prices, I'm just looking into my options. The most important thing is that its got to be able to get a wide range of tones and be able to play small to medium gigs without taking up tons of room.

Most of the bands I like use ampeg SVT's so that's what sort of tones I'm after I was thinking about getting something in the Ampeg B series as for the price I suppose my budget would be about £500 mark........ possibly £550
Like said, the VM Squiers are excellent.

In that price range for an amp, if you can save up just £20/30 more you could get an ABM Ashdown combo. I have an ABM head/cab setup and it's the nicest amp I've ever played through. I listen to some of the same music as you and this amp can get decent tones for all of them, the guy from S.O.A.D actually uses ABM series head and cabs anyway!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
My net connection's been playing me up all month so its been hit and miss getting online.

Anyways

I looked into Ashdown's a few weeks back but couldn't really find anything suitable...... I'll have to have another and see what I can find out about the ABM series.

I kind of need a bass at short notice....... a few guys I know from college are in a band and they mentioned needing a bass player there trying to talk Rob ( the rhythm guitarist) round to playing bass and from what I can tell he doesn't want to switch over. Sounds to me if there trying to get someone to switch not only does that sound like there desperate, but it also sounds like there not after someone who's been playing bass for years.

Att the price of both of those basses it wouldn't take me much more than 4/5 months to get my hands on both of them, but the reason why I'm more inclined to get the special series P bass is because its got a j bass pickup and the split coil., that means more tones right?
Quote by indie-bassist
Like said, the VM Squiers are excellent.

In that price range for an amp, if you can save up just £20/30 more you could get an ABM Ashdown combo. I have an ABM head/cab setup and it's the nicest amp I've ever played through. I listen to some of the same music as you and this amp can get decent tones for all of them, the guy from S.O.A.D actually uses ABM series head and cabs anyway!

Sorry to thread hijack, but how do you find the ABM in comparison with similair priced setups, e.g. GK 1000rb?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Sorry to thread hijack, but how do you find the ABM in comparison with similair priced setups, e.g. GK 1000rb?

I tried similarly priced (and a few more expensive) GK, Ampeg, Eden, Fender and Warwick heads/cabs and combos, and the Ashdown stuff was the stuff that really stood out for me. I play indie/punk, blues and classic rock style stuff primarily, and can get an excellent sound for those styles of music with my precision bass. It's a very versatile amp though, I can still get great sounds for other styles such as jazz and motown, and a great booming metal tone too.

I think the valve drive and sub-harmonics are also great features, boosting the input volume and adding a little bit of grind to the tone really can give your bass some serious bite, and the sub-harmonics, if used subtly, can really thicken out your sound.

It's cut through great at band practices/jam sessions, I've yet to use it live but have a gig coming up in December hopefully so I can really see what it can do.

It took me a little while to get used to all the controls, especially the separate input and output volumes but now I have done I can get some serious tones out of this amp.
Quote by Bumper

Cheers for the quick reply.
It's on the list for me to try anyway!
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster

I would quot a Harry Enfield sketch, but if your from the other side of the pond I don't know if you'd get it.

No worries about hijacking the thread, I'm a self confessed tech junkie and I'm always reading a review of something music related....... so if it gets me more info on the ABM series all the better.

Indie bassist can I ask where did you get you ABM stack from? I've been been looking allover the net for them in the UK but I'm not having much luck

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=9

This is the one you told me to look for right?
Living in the UK, ampwise you can't go wrong with Ashdown, dealers are everywhere and the after sales service is excellent.
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
I got mine off Thomann.de but I think the prices are ver similar, if not cheaper with the combos, on www.soundslive.co.uk. And yeah that is the one I would recommend getting, either that or the one with 2x10 speakers, but personally I would say get the 1x15.
Quote by Bumper

hi mate, i have the precision bass special and to be truthful it doesn't really cut it. Theres just something about it. The pickups are pretty weak, and the neck lol. The neck on mine feels like a jazz neck until about the 8th fret then gets REALLY wide like a precision. I played one gig with that bass and decided i hated the thing. I bought my fender and have not played the squier since. The soundman just simply could not get the bass to come through because the pickups were that weak. My advice to you is to choose a different bass than the precision special. Listen to these guys on here, they know what they are talking about. The vintage modified jazz bass is a very good choice, looking and sounding good. I love the maple fretboard with the block markers. So yeah, really its up to you but I would avoid the precision special
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Last edited by stevo192 at Sep 29, 2007,