Hey guys,

I've had my ENGL Screamer for a little while now, about six months. I bought it second hand for very cheap, because the guy swapped out the tubes and the speaker. I put new tubes in, and it sounded a lot better, but it still doesn't sound quite right.

The sound on the gain channels at the moment is very indistinct and muddy, but at the same time quite fizzy. I've been fiddling with my EQ for about 6 months now, so I know it can't be that. I then thought I was just using too much gain (although I only had the gain at one o'clock anyway), but the trouble persisted.

Basically it sounds very mushy and flabby at the bottom end, but at the same time very fizzy at the top end. What would the solution be?

At the moment the speaker in it is a ****ty Celestion V12-80 - should I swap it for a Celestion Vintage 30?

Should I buy an EQ pedal to really fine-tune the EQ, add some mids and low-mids and take out some bass and treble to clear it up?

Some even recommend the BBE Sonic Stomp, (although I've read criticisms), might this help?

Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your help
Id say both solutions should work really. The Speaker is a good place to start depending on how much it will set you back however you may not like the results as you have no idea how it will sound till its loaded into the amp.

The EQ would probably make the most sense to me as you can always use an EQ no matter what amp its running into making it a better proposition for the long term.

Most muddiness is caused by badly eq'd mids and if you cant dial in the mids you need to kill the muddiness using the amps controls then an eq pedal should give you much more control.

When using a EQ pedal its important that you cut frequencies rather than boosting them.
This is due to the fact that boosting the freqs actually adds gain and therefore volume to the particular area you boost whereas if you cut you will not loose volume rather just reduce frequencies heard.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
how loud are you running it?

but halikus' advice sounds pretty decent. a new speaker such as a v30 shouldn't hurt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you currently have your EQ set to, out of interest?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah, I like the suggestions. I would consider a few more things. First I would actually use an OD to tighten it up, keep the overdrive very low, and turn up the level so it acts like a clean boost. Many people do this with high gain heads, it tightens up the lowend, and adds a edge to to the topend. Next, might want to ask around about people's experience with preamp tubes in that head. I know you recently changed them, but I've found that in particular, V1(input tube) and the V4 or V5(driver tube/PI), can definitely have an affect on certain nuances of the sound, ie. mud, grit, fizz, etc.. Speaker and EQ are both good ideas too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks guys In response to your comments:

Halikus - Thanks so much for the info. A new speaker shouldn't set me back too much over here in the UK - V30's are about £30. It's supposed to have that speaker in, so I imagine it's the right choice.

Dave - I run it at all volumes hehe! I do play in a band so it does get pushed in practices, with the master volume at about 1-2 o'clock tops. I've found that at higher volumes, the bottom end is still muddy, but sorta fades into the background, whereas the fizziness really comes out at these volumes. It seems to get very trebly and harsh when I crank it.

Mr Carrot - at the moment, I've got it set as follows; Gain-6, Bass-6, Mid-8, Treb-6, Prescence-5.

Erock - thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a good idea... Could you recommend a good OD?
yeah, the screamer is quite trebly. and at higher volumes, that may get worse with the 6L6's.

i usually run most engls with bass and middle at 9 (though this might not help your lack of a tight bass), with the treble and presence at more like 3-4. that should tame the top end a bit.

£30 is good value for a v30, i thought they were more like £50?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What guitars are you using with it? If you're going to make major adjustments make sure you try it with a few diff guitars first....
First off, when you're jamming or in a studio and try running the output into a borrowed speaker cab - then you can work out whether the problem is with the amp itself or the internal speaker. I'd bet a fiver it's the speaker though....

And Erock503 had a good suggestion about the PI tube, I've got both a 12AX7 and a AT7 which I swap over depending what sort of gig i'm playing, and it makes quite a change in tone. If the amp sounds crap through every cab you try then you might have to mess about with the valves a bit more.
yeah i meant to say erock had some good points too. also telling us what your guitars are could help too etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah interesting. just make sure that includes VAT and postage. if it doesn't, www.loudspeaker.co.uk is probably your cheapest bet, though watford valves sometimes has a good sale (but they won't include VAT and postage, so you need to remember that).

The miracle man is quite bright... i have that setup in my legra. Mine isn't over-bright, though. but i don't think the savage se is just as trebly as a screamer, and it's smoother-sounding too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hehe thanks man.

So, just to clarify/organise my pinball brain, y'all reckon speaker and EQ pedal is the way forward?

I was considering an OD pedal anyway to tighten stuff up, are there any you'd recommend?
Quote by el_jimbo
Erock - thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a good idea... Could you recommend a good OD?

personally, I like using a Maxon OD808 for this purpose. It's a little smoother sounding and seemed a little more transparent than the TS9 I used to use, at least to my ear. I have a modded one now, but I used to get great results with my stock one too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids