I recently purchased an electric[after playing acoustic for some time] and have been looking at some amps for pretty much just playing at home to myself but sometimes with drums or another guitar. [or both :P]

I was wondering if a Roland Cube 30 would be okay for this?
I have also read this amp is more high gain, and I do play some metal but it would be able to do foo fighters type rock and more clean things?
Quote by laverna
I recently purchased an electric[after playing acoustic for some time] and have been looking at some amps for pretty much just playing at home to myself but sometimes with drums or another guitar. [or both :P]

I was wondering if a Roland Cube 30 would be okay for this?
I have also read this amp is more high gain, and I do play some metal but it would be able to do foo fighters type rock and more clean things?

The cube is a modelling amp and has several different amp models. Some like the rectifier model will be better for metal but there are low gain models and a clean channel to cover quite a lot of different sounds.
Roland Cubes are godly for beginning and intermediate players, I say go for it.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
Roland Cubes are godly for beginning and intermediate players, I say go for it.

+1
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I think Cubes are fine for beginners only. By the intermediate stage (at least the way I define it) a player should be developing a more sophisticated ear for tone. Alright for a bedroom amp, but I wouldn't want to use it in a jam session.
how much metal? if you're mainly a hard rock/metal player the cube is great, but if you're only an occasional metal player the vox valvetronix is probably better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much metal? if you're mainly a hard rock/metal player the cube is great, but if you're only an occasional metal player the vox valvetronix is probably better.

+1 for the valvetronix

Edit: But if possible, try playing both a good bit before you decide. You should always play one before buying it.
Try the new Valvetronix XL. They can do pretty much everything. Plus the 30watt version comes with a 12" speaker unlike the cube's 10". I don't think I really matters at your current level but it's definitely a plus.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Roland CUBES ( I've played the 60 - own a Roland 50-watt DAC amp and now looking at a CUBE 100 right now) have been used professionally for years by loads of bands - I gigged with one many times). They have LOUD AS HELL CLEANS like the Jazz Chorus - can get dirty too - and take pedals INCLUDING MULTI-EFFECTS extremely well. My DAC 50 has built-in LUSH ROLAND Chorus, Long Delay, short delay, flanger, etc and 2 volumes and gain along with a full EQ section + Presence. Awesome 80's amp and LOUD AS HELL too. Roland CLEANS are known and sought after by a lot of Jazz musicians and a superb clean is what Multi-effect pedals like (and most single effects work great too with 'em - clean signal and let the pedal do what it's supposed to do).

My DAC has 4 - 8" transducers that produce a wall of sound. The Cube 100 (another 80's version BEFORE MODELING was used) has a 12" speaker.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 28, 2007,