The impedance of a speaker is rated in ohms. You have to match the output of an amplifier to the speakers impedance. Or something like that.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by Ibanez rocker
so which i better having more ohms or less???

You just got to match them up, I don't think there's one "best" value.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
does not matter, as long as they match. Set your head to the same impedance as the cab you use.

With SS heads, the lower the ohms(resistance to current flowing thru), the more power they will put out. You just shouldn't go lower than the minimum impedance they rate the amp at.

With tube amps, there is an impedance matching output transformer, that matches the circuit to whatever speaker load you are using. With these, you should always match the amps impedance to the speaker(s) impedance to get the highest power rating. Lowering the impedance, or raising it, will both result in power loss, and can damage the transformer if it's a large enough mismatch. With this type of transformer, the higher the ohm setting, ie. matching a 16ohm head to a 16ohm cab, is supposed to give you the best sound, as it's using the most winds from the transformer.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
does not matter, as long as they match. Set your head to the same impedance as the cab you use.

With SS heads, the lower the ohms(resistance to current flowing thru), the more power they will put out. You just shouldn't go lower than the minimum impedance they rate the amp at.

With tube amps, there is an impedance matching output transformer, that matches the circuit to whatever speaker load you are using. With these, you should always match the amps impedance to the speaker(s) impedance to get the highest power rating. Lowering the impedance, or raising it, will both result in power loss, and can damage the transformer if it's a large enough mismatch. With this type of transformer, the higher the ohm setting, ie. matching a 16ohm head to a 16ohm cab, is supposed to give you the best sound, as it's using the most winds from the transformer.

+1

impedance is the resistance to alternating current, or something like that. Regardless, you should try to match them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to get ohms, otherwise known as resistance, take your incoming voltage (120 V if it's a standard house plug) and divide it by the amount of amps your amp or speaker is rated for

IE: 120 divide by lets say, 10 amps = 12 ohms
when talking about amps you should probably say amperes so we don't all get confused like i just did
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by djmay71
to get ohms, otherwise known as resistance, take your incoming voltage (120 V if it's a standard house plug) and divide it by the amount of amps your amp or speaker is rated for

IE: 120 divide by lets say, 10 amps = 12 ohms

no. that's an oversimplification at best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?