I neeeeed David Gilmour's fuzz tone from the solo in Echoes on their Pompeii DVD. I need it. If I don't get it I'm convinced that the world will end. I know that heee used a fuzz face but unfortunately he used a fuzz face made back in the 60s/70s and I've heard that the quality was far better then. Will the fuzz face get me that tone or is there another AFFORDABLE fuzz pedal that will do it. I already have a big muff and its just not cutting it in that area. It satisfies my Frusciante cravings and works nice as a distortion pedal when I need a big dark sound but 60s psychedelic it will not.

Disclaimer: I just got my wisdom teeth out and I'm pretty ****ed up so if parts of my post don't make sense thats why.
The new Fuzz faces are pretty poor. See if you can get a Fulltone '69 - they're meant to be incredibly good reissues of the originals.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^he doesn't really offer any affordable alternatives

^^'69 fuzz is $250, not what I call affordable
What do you mean by affordable?

You should shop fuzzes on the internet, and specifically look for ones that feature germanium transistors. That's the key ingredient that the new Fuzz Faces lack. See if you can't find something that falls within your price range.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I neeeeed David Gilmour's fuzz tone from the solo in Echoes on their Pompeii DVD. I need it. If I don't get it I'm convinced that the world will end.

Disclaimer: I just got my wisdom teeth out and I'm pretty ****ed up so if parts of my post don't make sense thats why.

My first thought after waking up from my wisdom teeth surgery was along the lines of "I NEED GILMORE NOW"
Quote by sre9981
My first thought after waking up from my wisdom teeth surgery was along the lines of "I NEED GILMORE NOW"

hahaha i hear ya.
Keeley Fuzzhead
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Alpine White
Marshall MG30DFX

Soon To Get:
Keeley Fuzz Head
I'm unsure about my next amp.
Looking for amp with great blues tone.
Quote by thebrewfan
^I heard those sound clips and they didnt sound very fuzzy

Ignore what you've 'heard'. It's quite wrong. The fuzz can get quite extreme.
Last edited by Vulcan at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by Cowboys9224
Keeley Fuzzhead

Why don't you try finding a new avatar

Sorry for hijacking but that really pisses me off.
^ I think UG law might vote in favor of him, him being an older user. It all really depends on who got it first. I'm with ya, though.

Anyhoo. If you want quality for cheap, building your own is the absolute best way to go. Come to GB&C's Pedal Building Thread.
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ I think UG law might vote in favor of him, him being an older user. It all really depends on who got it first. I'm with ya, though.

Thanks. I just find it hard to believe anyone else specifically looked for pics of that performace. I'll live though

+1 to the BYOC suggestions as well.
The BYOC clone Fuzzface will get me the same type of fuzz tone as in Echoes and Dead Meadow?
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Thanks. I just find it hard to believe anyone else specifically looked for pics of that performace. I'll live though

+1 to the BYOC suggestions as well.

I've always associated that avatar with Whole Lotta Led, hadn't seen anyone else with it before.

Anywho I was thinking the same thing as the TS, that's some great sounds David has on Pompeii.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
The 69's are discontinued and the used prices are ridiculous compared to what the used prices were before they were available, before they were $125 used now they are $225 and up. Fuzzes are very picky when it comes to what they have inside them, I have a scary Face by Pro Analog it can get me Hendrix tones, White Stripes tones, Black Keys tones, anything sounds good with it so look for that used.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Every can shout at me if I'm completely wrong about this, but what about trying an EQ with your muff? I see you have one already, so you've probably tried already. If not, Roger Mayer fuzzes seem great, but I'm not sure if you consider them affordable.

BTW, Live at Pompeii owns
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
To be honest, it sounded like a silicon fuzz to me...based on a bit of research, going on what hed used on Meddle for Echoes, and the closeness of the Live At Pompeii footage to the Meddle's recording...He says he used a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

And the Echoes clip is most certainly edgier than my Full tone '69 clone (which is a modified DA Fuzz Face with germanium transistors.) But DA switched to silicon transistors in '69, and if he bought this FF after that - which there is a good chance he did since Meddle was recorded in '71 and Pompeii was recorded in '72 - his would've been silicon.

So, summary, probably silicon transistors in a Dallas Arbiter circuit.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by add45
Every can shout at me if I'm completely wrong about this, but what about trying an EQ with your muff? I see you have one already, so you've probably tried already. If not, Roger Mayer fuzzes seem great, but I'm not sure if you consider them affordable.

BTW, Live at Pompeii owns

I actually had tried that but your post inspired me to try again. before I was using the eq as a slight mid/volume boost for solos but now I found that if i bring the volume down on the eq and bring the mids and the highs up I can use it with the big muff to get a really good 60s psychedelic fuzz and then use my Deluxe Memory Man's preamp as a boost with the delay cause I use delay on my solos almost all the time now...well now its allllll the time.
Alright I'll check those out. At the moment the big muff is working nice for me with the eq but I still definitely want a fuzz just for that sort of thing as it will do it better.
Quote by add45
If not, Roger Mayer fuzzes seem great, but I'm not sure if you consider them affordable.

Here they cost just as much as the Dunlop fuzz face.
^Really? I guess you learn something new everyday

Quote by thebrewfan
I actually had tried that but your post inspired me to try again. before I was using the eq as a slight mid/volume boost for solos but now I found that if i bring the volume down on the eq and bring the mids and the highs up I can use it with the big muff to get a really good 60s psychedelic fuzz and then use my Deluxe Memory Man's preamp as a boost with the delay cause I use delay on my solos almost all the time now...well now its allllll the time.

That sounds reaalllyyy cool You could always get another EQ (Danelectro Fish n Chips is a cheap one) and use it specifically for the Muff while using the other as a mid-boost or however you use it.

I'm glad the advice somewhat worked though!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I'm thinking of getting a Fulltone fuzz, probably the 70s since that has a brighter sound thats closer to gilmour's tone.