For a while now I have been practicing fingerpicking alongside playing with a pick and have never really understood why people dont use their little finger on their right hand (if theyre right handed) to pickwith. I know its not used in classical music so its not likely to change for that as certain techniques are required and i think its the same for flamenco and possibly others, but its something i have managed to incorporate into my playing and i feel has helped a lot. It gives me a more varied sound and extra speed if required and i can always switch back to three if i want. Is there any reason why people dont specifically?
I pretty much only play fingerstyle. I don't think there is a particular reason why people don't use the pinky. Most people use it to hold pressure against the guitar top to kind of anchor their hand in the playing position. I have used the pinky before for playing blues.
It in fact can be used classically. You are reffering to the PIMA method, which is based around every finger except the pinky on the right hand. The PIMA method is designed as the simplest becuase the pinky is often the most akward. Because the pinky and ring are connected to the same tendon or something like that, its hard to use both in sequence. If you can, go ahead. Many classical guitarists use it and denote the pinky with a X, C or E, it just requires slightly more skill and is not neccessary.
what i do is i only use the pinky if i use my ring pinger to pick and then hit another note right after on the same string,hope u understood that....
I think the main reason for the pinky being under-utilised is that, unless you have a very strange right hand position, it's just too damn short to be of much use.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
I've seen some classical players use the pinky on the strumming hand. Its very rare and often was with triple and quad stops. I think a few bassists actually use their pinkies for srumming. If I find a vid i'll post it.
Quote by The National D
I think the main reason for the pinky being under-utilised is that, unless you have a very strange right hand position, it's just too damn short to be of much use.

Yeah. When you listen to a lot of classical guitarists that do tremolo fingerpicking, they mostly just use the index, middle and ring because they're all of comparable length and can thus "roll" with each other, whereas you have to adjust your hand position to use the pinky.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
My mate uses his pinky, i dont, i personally find it easyer to not, but i can do finger picking either way
Manchester United