I just got a marshal DSL 401 amp and was wondering if any one knew some good settings to get a slash kind of sound out of it?

Also people always say that tube amps sound best when played loudly but is it possible to get the same sound at lower volume levels?
Look through the Ultimate Settings thread.

Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7

Yes, it is possible to get a good sound at low volumes. It's just better at high volumes.

Valve high vol > Valve low vol > SS low vol > SS high Vol
Last edited by blue_strat at Sep 28, 2007,
It's possible, although you'll have to compensate with some of the settings to allow for the amps natural adidtions to the tone, such as midrange,bass, distortion etc
Quote by Nitro285
I just got a marshal DSL 401 amp and was wondering if any one knew some good settings to get a slash kind of sound out of it?

Also people always say that tube amps sound best when played loudly but is it possible to get the same sound at lower volume levels?

EVERYthing sounds better louder. you should know this by now if you're into Slash. But yeah, the settings above should do you right - I nicked em from the fansite
http://www.snakepit.org/index.html#main
Look at equipment & keep scrolling, should be all-sorts there. Hell, if it works on my Peavey Rage, it should work with that JCM2000 (which is essentially an upgrade on the JCM800 he used to use anyways)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
dont know about getting a good slash tone but i find the amp is quite trebley, my setting are b10 m8 t5 g3 on od2
Quote by blue_strat
Valve high vol > Valve low vol > SS low vol > SS high Vol

I don't doubt this is true, but I can't stand using my jcm900 on low volumes. Just sounds so harsh and brittle.

Butttttt. Turn it up and....
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
c'mon, how hard is it to mess with 4-5 knobs
you already HAVE a Marshall!

do you by any chance have an LP or something with PAF style pickups?
If you want tube breakup at lower volumes you can reduce your DSL401 to 20 Watts by removing two of the power valves - either pull the 2 OUTSIDE or the 2 INSIDE.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
^^ me?

Nope. Just rockin' my Kramer. Super high-output pups.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Persata
If you want tube breakup at lower volumes you can reduce your DSL401 to 20 Watts by removing two of the power valves - either pull the 2 OUTSIDE or the 2 INSIDE.

r u sure u can do this? i got a dsl401 too, and i have heard of it but never had confirmation.

does urs work like that?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Persata

^i'd also like some confirmation
Why do people always cut the mids when trying to emulate slash's tone?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by FRDesign
I use:

Bass: 10
Mids: 5
Treble: 3

Gain, about 5-7, depending on what song.

Whoa you really going for tha CHUG CHUG sound arent ya?

bass 10?!?!?

what pedals are you using?
Quote by Ashdownlover
Whoa you really going for tha CHUG CHUG sound arent ya?

bass 10?!?!?

what pedals are you using?
Slash's tone is very Bassy. I bet he uses less than me though, but my Epi Les Paul Special 2 is made of alder and its thin, so I have to compensate. So if you have a Les Paul made of Mahog. then use less.
What song is his tone basyy in?

Just tired my settings on a Aria strat and i aint got my bass ANYwhere near 10. Then again im running it through a 2x12". That probably makes a BIG difference.
Quote by Ashdownlover
What song is his tone basyy in?

Just tired my settings on a Aria strat and i aint got my bass ANYwhere near 10. Then again im running it through a 2x12". That probably makes a BIG difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6SqjYQV_J0

Thats me, with my Les Paul with the settings.
^nice sound man. if u can get it a bit warmer without losing edge, u nailed it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
http://cc.usu.edu/~davbradshaw/amps/dsl401/mods.htm#20W

Ta-da!

I don't run mine at 20W, but I'm tempted to try it. 40W is just a bit too loud for my bedroom.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
http://cc.usu.edu/~davbradshaw/amps/dsl401/mods.htm#20W

Ta-da!

I don't run mine at 20W, but I'm tempted to try it. 40W is just a bit too loud for my bedroom.

iv heard of this before, but im pretty sure on the vintagemodern website there is a member that had something to do with making the vintagemodern, someone said about taking out a couple of valves to cut the watts and if i remember right he didnt recomend anyone doing this
Pulling two tubes will cause an impedance mismatch, which can damage your amp, and at the very least change the tone. I don't think the guy on the vintagemodern website corrected the mismatch.
can someone answer me something?
how is the gain from the overdrive channels on the amp?
like can you get quite a high gain sound without buying extra pedals?

thanks
Top lel.
slash uses a typical "old school" bluesy rock style setting, roll back on the bass and treble and crank the mids up, and the master volume is LOUD. he doesnt use as much gain as you'd think. gives a thicker sound to your tone, and his solo tone is boosted again using an 18 band EQ pedal. you're never going to sound EXACTLY like Slash cause quite simply you dont have a rig like his ! not many people do unless you're a pro gigging musician with the same gear as him and employed guitar techs, and they use different amps/guitars/pedals etc etc etc to record so you never know what they are using. But there are guidelines you can follow to get a similar sounding tone. check out the settings thread on this forum, quite helpful.
Hey, I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 also. It gets AmaZinG sound!! You are correct that you can get good tones with THIS amp in particular without having to crank it up really loud. Part of the reason for that is the design. It gets really hot in that combo. So the tubes warm up even at low volumes. However that good design is also a design FLAW. I know this from experience and also you can check reviews @ harmonycentral. What happens is because Marshall is getting cheap they put PC boards in the amp to aid with gain and distortion instead of doing hand wiring. Now like I said this amp sounds great, I love my amp, but I have had to pay $150+ to get the sauder fixed by someone that knew what they were doing.

Solution....... Always, I mean always (and plan on making this part of your live gear set-up) have a fan blowing on the back of the amp. It totally has helped me and I have not had that problem happen again.

Keep on rockin in tha free world bro!
Marshall 401

Ibanez Ts9 Tubescreamer

Boss dd5 or Maxon ad999

and boss tuner

all i need
Quote by AnaLoG
Marshall 401

Ibanez Ts9 Tubescreamer

Boss dd5 or Maxon ad999

and boss tuner

all i need

Nice

Marshall DSL401

Boss Sd-1

Dunlop Cry baby

Boss Tu-2

All i need
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Quote by Jinskee
Why do people always cut the mids when trying to emulate slash's tone?

Eh, I've become leery on people talking about cutting mids to get certain tones...

It all depends on how middy the amp is in the first place

I've played some amps where the mids on 6 were like the mids on 10 on other amps.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 21, 2009,
Was the 30 seconds you spent typing that worth my reply?
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
check out your amp dude... dsl401 has a volume, gain and a seperate master volume, so set up everything how yo want, and then adjust the master volume...
for example, set the volume to 7, gain on 6, and master volume on 2... its the same thing as attenuator... you can get a nice tube break up at lower volumes.