Is there any advice anyone can give to help memorizing the the 7 major modes (as in fitting them together)? Ive got the major and minor pentatonics down, and have trouble fitting the modes together (because of how they overlap each other)... any help would be great

Thanks in advance
You do know that each mode is still just the major scale, its just that the root note differs and therefore the arpeggio. Example if you want D dorian,, you know dorian is the 2nd mode of the major scale. So find a D on the fretboard and then can find the relative major going a tone back, so you;d be in the C major scale, just accenting different notes.
Learn the major scale inside out and you learn the modes by default - they're jsut the different "faces" of the major scale. Some people waste years learning the individual patterns without bothering to learn the theory properly. When they finally get round to belatedly learning some theory they then realise that all they did was learn the same thing seven times over....which is pretty stupid, don't you think?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I Don't Play Latin Music Any Longer.

Ionian Dorian Phyrigian Lydian Mixolydian Aeolian Locrian
That's the order for the natural major scale. The natural minor scale has the same sequence but starts from Aeolian.
Hope that helps!
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
I find it easier to memorize how each scale changes the major or minor scale. I.e. Dorian is minor with a major 6th (A minor with an F#) , Mixolydian; major with a minor seven (C major with a Bb). I find that way easiest. But, you can learn it by doing the each mode is starting on a different note of the major scale. I also find if you want to actually know some kind of extension or theory that it's easiest with the dorian=minor w/ a maj. 6 method.
Quote by hairypineapple
Is there any advice anyone can give to help memorizing the the 7 major modes (as in fitting them together)? Ive got the major and minor pentatonics down, and have trouble fitting the modes together (because of how they overlap each other)... any help would be great

Thanks in advance

if you know the shapes of the pentatonic off by heart, the modes will be easy. they end up just looking like those shapes with a couple extra notes added to them. thats how i did it. i just related them to one of the pentatonic shapes.
i just practiced improvising in them and moving through all the positions and trying to play horizontally. it came pretty quickly
Quote by BassTalk
I Don't Play Latin Music Any Longer.

Ionian Dorian Phyrigian Lydian Mixolydian Aeolian Locrian
That's the order for the natural major scale. The natural minor scale has the same sequence but starts from Aeolian.
Hope that helps!

or

If Dora Plays Like Me Alls Lost = major
Alls Lost If Dora Plays Like Me =Minor

lol

but useing them when you improvise helps so much it becomes natural
Last edited by blink+guitar at Sep 29, 2007,
yea if you practice the shapes together and improvise going form one shape to the next you will get them down pretty easily.
They aren't "shapes"...thinking of them like that is just about the worst thing you can do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com