Yeah, as the title says, I'm looking for a new guitar for playing Metal.

I'm liking this , so what are your opinions on it, and could you recommend any other guitars in this style? I have about £400 (may vary; pay on Sunday) and I want a Super Strat with a locking trem.
what type of metal?

regardless, assuming you want a super strat w/ locking trem, you have a few options:

ibanez rg1570 (pickup swap a bit later down the road) <--------this one would be my pick

washburn x40 pro

that jackson, or one of the other models from the same series

those are probably your best bets at £400... that's an iffy price-range to be honest. If you know what you're doing you can get a nice guitar for that, but there's also some crap in there too- if you up your budget a couple of hundred you can get nicer (other than the ibanez, which is quite nice but needs a pickup swap, which will raise your budget anyway).

what's your amp by the way?

EDIT: you realise that site is only for if you're in guitar education, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would get the jackson your looking at. i have a jackson and they are BEASTLY
i hate all those nasty pasty people

:stickpoke i like to poke people

the fighter pilot of the a7x army
Quote by joeymaxx
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-s520-ex/8883
This looks pretty much perfect for you.
ZR trem
Super Strat
The only bad point I could pick is the pickups.

Alternatively, Listen to Dave_Mc

yeah, the s would be a good call too. i just didn't bother because most people, if they're in range of the 1570, would just go with the 1570, but obviously some people don't like rg's, so that's a good call if he doesn't.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez S series with a ZR trem. And maybe a JB/59 set or an Invader and something else for a neck pu.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the s would be a good call too. i just didn't bother because most people, if they're in range of the 1570, would just go with the 1570, but obviously some people don't like rg's, so that's a good call if he doesn't.

I totally forgot about the 1570.
I'm kinda sick of reccomending a pickup change everytime, why can't ibanez stick some good stock pup's in
EDIT: you realise that site is only for if you're in guitar education, right?

Actually it's for any school or establishment, I can get VAT off music products if I order through my school (E.g that Jackson should be about 330).

Hmm, those are cool guitars, but I really like the look of the Jackson. If nobody has any serious qualms with it I'll stick to it

EDIT; Although I realize Ibanez are good guitars, I want something more "heavier" in tone, if you know what I mean. My favourite tones are those of Thrash/Death guitarists (well, in metal), so thats why I like the Jackson.
Last edited by J.A.M at Sep 28, 2007,
i have a Jackson DKMG Dinky
EMG's and a LFR, SS style really good guitar, look into it
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by J.A.M
Actually it's for any school or establishment, I can get VAT off music products if I order through my school (E.g that Jackson should be about 330).

Hmm, those are cool guitars, but I really like the look of the Jackson. If nobody has any serious qualms with it I'll stick to it

you can actually do that?
Yeah, I pay the school via cheque, they buy the guitar.
Well, I WAS suggesting you should get second hand... but since you're getting it through the school, that's that plan out the window.
Well, I don't NEED to get it through the school, but if I do, I can get 17.5% off the price.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i have a Jackson DKMG Dinky
EMG's and a LFR, SS style really good guitar, look into it

The DKMG's I'v seen have had EMG HZ's which are the diet coke version of EMG's.
and its got a LFR, which is a Jackson LFR so it's not that bad, but ZR's and Edge Pro's are better... In my opinion.
Good suggestion though.
Hmm, in that case I'll just get the original one I was thinking about buying and buy pickups at a later date.
Quote by joeymaxx
I totally forgot about the 1570.
I'm kinda sick of reccomending a pickup change everytime, why can't ibanez stick some good stock pup's in

yeah... i actually consider it a bonus, you aren't paying extra for pickups you might change anyway. though it wouldn't hurt to have ones which were at least decent...

Quote by J.A.M

EDIT; Although I realize Ibanez are good guitars, I want something more "heavier" in tone, if you know what I mean. My favourite tones are those of Thrash/Death guitarists (well, in metal), so thats why I like the Jackson.

that's fine, just as long as you're sure you qualify.

only qualm i'd have is that the trem on that jackson is iffy. From what i hear, it's a direct swap for an OFR, and it's not supposed to be as bad as a lo-trs, for example, but it'd be worth keeping in mind. it's not as nice as an edge pro, OFR or schaller, IMO.

Also, IMO the rg1570 is a nicer guitar than that jackson, but then it is more expensive.

what's your amp by the way?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's a Marshall MG, which I know is crap, but right now I want a new guitar, then I'll buy an amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
though it wouldn't hurt to have ones which were at least decent...
Quite a few people consider them decent, it would seem. Back in the day, I sold the (well-used) Vs from my RG and AX for an average of $40 a pup.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by J.A.M
It's a Marshall MG, which I know is crap, but right now I want a new guitar, then I'll buy an amp.

ok, as long as you make sure you do!

Quote by pifty
Quite a few people consider them decent, it would seem. Back in the day, I sold the (well-used) Vs from my RG and AX for an average of $40 a pup.

wow that's pretty good going. i still have my v-series pickups lying around somewhere.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I will! At the moment I make up to £300 a month from my work, and I have no expenses whatsoever.
yeah, that's grand, you should have a nice amp in no time.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok, as long as you make sure you do!

*new found respect for Dave Mc*

most people on this forum would say something like this:

"zOMG YOU MUSTZORZ GETZORZ A BETTERZORZ AMPZORZ FIRST!!!!!!! N00B!!!! ZOMG!!!!"

really grinds my gears..
well, i mean the amp is one of the most important things you need, i wouldn't advise getting a new guitar without being sure you'll get a new amp if you have an MG or similar... but as long as you're sure you will, i guess there's no real harm in it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well, i mean the amp is one of the most important things you need, i wouldn't advise getting a new guitar without being sure you'll get a new amp if you have an MG or similar... but as long as you're sure you will, i guess there's no real harm in it.

yeah some people shove advice down your throat.
they forget people have other things to buy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?