Page 1 of 2
so for the longest time ive been eyeing a gibson explorer, but i cant think that its more suited for rhythm than lead. i know there arent really guitars made for lead or rhythm but i usually see rhythm dudes playing it and not so much lead guys. for example both james hetfield and claudio sanchez use gibson explorers (well james uses esp but theyre pretty much teh same right?)and both are mainly rhythm players.

so am i wrong here or what?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
ur wrong about one thing.... claudio does lead stuff... actually i think claudio n the other guitarist both do leads
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
yeah they both do leads i know but claudio is playing rhythm say 65% of the time? (maybe less idk)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
you obviously are unaware of Dethklok
the fastest guitar player in teh universe uses one
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
id say Claudio does play rhythm alot, but can whip out some crazy riffs and solos when he needs to. Travis only plays rhythm over solos. i would say hes slightly better than Travis in some aspects. They have a big cutaway on em, and im thinking the neck isnt super-fat, so u could do both on it. And Claudios have EMGs in em. But i would buy it if i were u. I especially like the red ones.
You have to try it out and see if You like playing lead on it!
The Conservative youth of America!
I WANT A GIBSON EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn me being left handed.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joeymaxx
Claudio Sanchez.

I want one...

an explorer, not a Claudio...

lmfao.........nice.............
anyways explorers have beuatiful clean, rythym, and lead tones. dont let what see other people doing discourage you from your dream guitar.
Quote by sniper_wolf90
lmfao.........nice.............
anyways explorers have beuatiful clean, rythym, and lead tones. dont let what see other people doing discourage you from your dream guitar.

They do seem like a all round good guitar.
Can be used from Blues to Metal.
oh yeah i forgot petreli (sp?) used an explorer. alright thx for hte input pplz
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by ChaoticVengence
you obviously are unaware of Dethklok
the fastest guitar player in teh universe uses one

QFT x a billion.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf enough said...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
It's a big guitar, thus has a very large sound that's perfect for rhythm playing. Then again, the Dean ML is even bigger and it's a very popular lead guitar. If it suits your style, go for it. But yes, it is a very good rhythm guitar and merely an above average lead.
Dickless.
the flying v would be considered for a lead guitar right? (goddamn here we go with the explorer vs v )
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
[quote="'']Depens on preference, most shreders prefer a longer scale lengh and a thinner neck that you get with a jackson or ibanez. But many of the greatest shredders and lead players prefer a shorter scale lengh and chunkier neck (such as myself)

Check out al pitrelly

mmm...no necearily true though, I mean Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, McAlpine, Alexi Laiho, and even good Old Michael Amott have used or use 25.5 scale length necks, which is pretty much a standard in long necks...unless you wanna go baritone or something, then there's the exception.
Quote by ibanezguitarkid
I WANT A GIBSON EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn me being left handed.

They are out there...I searched forever for mine.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
ur wrong about one thing.... claudio does lead stuff... actually i think claudio n the other guitarist both do leads

I agree. I've seen the lead guitar player from Halifax (I think his name is Chris Brandt) rip with an explorer.

Personally an explorer is meant for lead in my opinion. Like we said no guitar is meant for lead or rythm but an explorer sounds great for lead. Especially with the pinch harmonics that Halifax and Coheed pull, the Explorer is great for that style of playing. I mean hell it doesn't sound bad as a lead instrument as long as its distorted. I can't speak to its quality clean.
Quote by littlemurph7976
I really want a white explorer but explorers with pickguards anger me ...

and im cheap ...

You can't take the pickguard away?
esp explorers are come in white w/o pickguard i think
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Any guitar is suirted for any style I played Racer X on a dodgy clasical (leads) I also play rythm on my ibanez "shredder" guitar I hate that term though.
Quote by Eric 666
mmm...no necearily true though, I mean Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, McAlpine, Alexi Laiho, and even good Old Michael Amott have used or use 25.5 scale length necks, which is pretty much a standard in long necks...unless you wanna go baritone or something, then there's the exception.

umm yeah, 25.5" is longer than 24.75". get it?
^^ thats been recommended to me so many times. Unfortunately Im not a big fan of it, its too ... curvy I guess. I dunno Im just really picky.
Explorer necks are too open where they meet the body to not be good for lead work - you can't ask for much more space save on a V-style guitar.
It so doesnt matter what guitar shape you use..

Oh this has a fat neck, not good with shred solos

Come on man, I guarantee you I give satriani a $30 ebay guitar and he'll make wonders with it..

whether lead or rhythm, it doesn't really matter what shape, its always the magician, not the wand
Quote by littlemurph7976
^^ thats been recommended to me so many times. Unfortunately Im not a big fan of it, its too ... curvy I guess. I dunno Im just really picky.

You don't want anything too pointy, or too curvy? how does that work out?
Hamer Standard?

You can play whatever you want on any guitar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
hmm that hamer is very sexy indeed. yeah i know bout playing w/e on any guitar tho it was just a question that boggled me.
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
For some reason, people think Explorers and Vs are rhythm guitars around where I live.

I have heard amazing lead tones from both though. It's amazing what a little bit of pickup height adjustment can do for your tone.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by cheames
umm yeah, 25.5" is longer than 24.75". get it?

he was saying that most shredders use short scale necks...which is not true, most of them use long scale length such as 25.5" and on, you completely missed the point.
Look at my profile picture its what I hope to get built for me with a BK Warpig in the bridge
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
The Explorer is very good for lead playing and solos because of the easy access to the high frets. The other guitarplayer in my band uses an ESP Explorer and he does some crazy cool leads on it!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by plankermaxx
Look at my profile picture its what I hope to get built for me with a BK Warpig in the bridge

That is one FINE guitar!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Al Pitrelli, Phil Campbell, the Edge (not that he's any good but he does play leads on them), Gary Moore has used them, the Scorpions used them, Van Halen was known to use them. If you're comfortable playing leads on it, then you should play leads on them; all down to you, not anyone else/
matthias jabs of scorpions usually uses a xplorer and hes lead. but also his signature xplorer is a xplorer 90 which is 90% the size of a normal one. i think the xplorer pros are like that. check some of their vids on yourtube he pwns
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Page 1 of 2