I own a Traynor YCV40 and that's what I'll mostly be playing through. Before I had that though, I had this little Marshall SS amp. I bought a Digitech Metal Master to get the sound I wanted out of that amp and it got there quite well. Now that I have the YCV40 though, if the level knob on the metal master is anywhere at or above 1.5 and my guitar volume knob is anywhere past 1/2, there's a TON of uncontrollable feedback.

I was just wondering if there was anyway to get rid of it... I'm running the Metal Master through the clean channel at those settings listed above. Hi and low is about midway and the drive is tuned down a bit to 3.5 - 4.

If the feedback is a result of the Metal Master, then I am totally for buying a new type of pedal that will get me to where I want to be. Just for an example of the type of music I usually play, think Protest the Hero or As I Lay Dying. Chunky rhythm playing with quite a bit of lead playing. I do play in a band as well so my amp is usually cranked up quite a ways.

The final question is... if the Metal Master sucks for tube amp tones and feedback and whatever else... what suggestions does anyone have for a distortion OR overdrive pedal that will get me to that style with the least amount of feedback. I'm open to all types of pedals that will help me utilize the tube amp the best it can be.
Last edited by tritone at Sep 28, 2007,
Tubescreamer's a great Overdrive.

It'll get you a nice crunchy sound, great for Classic/Hard Rock stuff.

The Boss Bluesdriver is also a pretty good overdrive.

If you want something a bit more ballsy though, there's a ton of great distortion boxes out there also.

The Electro Harmonix Metal Muff for one.

If you want to see if the pedal's causing the feedback , just try playing without it and see how much feedback you get.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
General advise from what appears to be a consensus on UG. Don't buy pedals with the word "metal" in the name. Whatever pedal you buy I think you would get a better sound by running it through the clean channel. Mixing high levels of pedal distortion and high levels of tube amp gain doesn't seem to sound so great to my ears.
My personal advice is to avoid Digitech pedals completely.
Check out Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hide pedal...it comes with OD and Distortion and the cool thing is you can set your distortion, which can hadle metal if i recall, to a good chunky rhythm setting and then use the OD to boost your signal for an stand out lead tone...and the pedal is designed to work really well with tube amps
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
No one's addressing the feedback issue... All hi-gain distorted amps will get tons of feedback at high volumes, buy an ISP Decimator and the issue will be solved.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No one's addressing the feedback issue... All hi-gain distorted amps will get tons of feedback at high volumes, buy an ISP Decimator and the issue will be solved.

Sorry to digress but!

Oh my god!

Is the quote in your sig. for real?
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Thanks guys, alright... I will have to go to L&M tomorrow and see what they have for pedals. I'll try out the tubescreamer but the Jekyll and Hyde is a little expensive. If it's as good as it sounds, then I may consider it. As for the feedback issue, I'm not exactly sure what an ISP Decimator is but I guess I'll have to look into it haha.

I figured the Digitech Metal Master wasn't made for tube amps... am I right or wrong on that?
I dont know how the YCV40 is voiced, but if it has decent gain, then you'd want to push the tubes harder so you get more gain and saturation. Im not really a fan of using a distortion pedal for tube amp, unless its those voiced more for cleans (like fender's) but even then, i dont think it'll sound good. Imo, you should leave distortion pedals for solid state or low gain amps.

So to push your amp's tubes harder, get an overdrive. Use the pedal as a CLEAN boost. Set the drive to 0, the tone to your liking and make sure the level is HIGH. Run this in front of your already overdriven amp and it'll push the tubes more resulting in more saturation.

But frankly, i dont know how the YCV40 is voiced.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Mmm, The YCV40 goes muddy when there's too much of a boost engaged, even the built in boos makes the amp muddy at full gain. I think the main problem here is the sub par speaker, and the sovtek tubes. I changed mine, and the amp opened up after a few hours. Stock, it's very dark and not cutting gritty enough.

If you want a distortion pedal then by all means try every single one you can, Rhandy Roads and John Frusciante had great tones with distortion pedals and great tube amps. My reccomendations include MI Audio's Crunchbox, or Classic distortion, and one of the Radial pedals. I like the tri mode and hot british.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Sep 29, 2007,
Yeah, that's what I was wondering... if it would sound better with a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal that just pushes the tubes a little more. As for the stock tubes, I did change them out for some hi-gain 6L6's from JJ. I have yet to toy with the speaker but that will be the next change when I find a new pedal whether it be an overdrive or distortion. I'll have to see which pedals they have at the shop tomorrow but I will try out a bunch of different ones and I'll see for myself which pedals produce the least amount of feedback with a hopefully pretty good tone.

I also appreciate all the suggestions for different pedals, I'll for sure research the ones which I think would suit me best.